Fleury is out in upset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Fleury is still young, but his 3rd period meltdown at the past 2 WJC's and lack of playoff success this year in juniors cant be good news to the Pens management.

The Pens sent him back to junior to "dominate" and gain confidence. I dont think losing 3 of the 4 games you play to a #7 seed is going to help his confidence any.

drugstone

Sep 7, 2002
quebec
Visit site
the screaming eagle lose as a team, they lose the same way with houle as they lose with fleury, cannot always blame the goalie, but sure I wish he could at least win a game or two on is own

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Herby said:
Fleury is still young, but his 3rd period meltdown at the past 2 WJC's and lack of playoff success this year in juniors cant be good news to the Pens management.

The Pens sent him back to junior to "dominate" and gain confidence. I dont think losing 3 of the 4 games you play to a #7 seed is going to help his confidence any.

Guess they should have taken a foward with the #1 overall pick instead of an overrated goaltender

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
Guess they should have taken a foward with the #1 overall pick instead of an overrated goaltender
as overrated he may be, he is still one of the top players in that draft class and prospects in the game

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
in the hall said:
as overrated he may be, he is still one of the top players in that draft class and prospects in the game

probably. but Marc-Andre Fleury was the most overhyped player since Eric Lindros. Moreso than Ovechkin. Probably because of the media proclaiming him the answer to everyone's goaltender problems and the fact he was the only goalie capable going in round 1. Not only that but Pittsburgh can't afford him to begin with.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
probably. but Marc-Andre Fleury was the most overhyped player since Eric Lindros. Moreso than Ovechkin. Probably because of the media proclaiming him the answer to everyone's goaltender problems and the fact he was the only goalie capable going in round 1. Not only that but Pittsburgh can't afford him to begin with.
i'll disagree on two parts

lindros was not overhyped, he was the real deal as he proved his first 7 years in the nhl unfortunately he has suffered big time with injuries but thats life.. there was not one more dominant player then lindros in his peak years in the league

fleury was not nearly as hyped as players such as spezza, lecavalier, daigle, brendl, sedin twins, phillips just players from recent memory

pittsburgh unable to afford him is irrelevant, as is the point about him being the only goaltender to go in the first round.. fleury may have been overhyped but his draft position and prospect status is still justified

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
Herby said:

He did dominate in the regular season-he was like 8-0 or something when I stopped keeping track-but the playoffs are what count.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
nurminen31 said:
He did dominate in the regular season-he was like 8-0 or something when I stopped keeping track-but the playoffs are what count.

Everyone talks of Fleury cracking under the pressure this year. But last year wasn't he the main reason Team Canada got as far as it did at the WJC? Most of you were praising his name last year at this time and speaking of how amazing he is. Now he has a a few rough games this year and everyone talks about how he is overhyped, when you are all the ones that hyped him. And I mean a few rough games. He was stellar in Pittsburgh during his stay. He was shaky in the WJC, but he was dominant in the Q until a few rough playoff games. A few rough games in his season and everyone turns their backs on him, wow.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
in the hall said:
there was not one more dominant player then lindros in his peak years in the league

fleury was not nearly as hyped as players such as spezza, lecavalier, daigle, brendl, sedin twins, phillips just players from recent memory

pittsburgh unable to afford him is irrelevant, as is the point about him being the only goaltender to go in the first round.. fleury may have been overhyped but his draft position and prospect status is still justified

i live in philadelphia, lindros was NOT THE most dominant player in the league. he consistently took nights off and then he got injured.

The difference between the players you list are that Fleury was more hyped going into the draft as opposed to some of the players you mention (The Sedins, Brendl and Spezza didn't go #1 overall) and some of those guys weren't close to being overhyped as Fleury. (Lecavalier, Brendl). People knew Brendl was a gamble.

pitthockey81

Apr 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Fleury wasn't even that hyped in the draft. The only things i read where about him being one of the quickest goalies anyones ever seen, and that he dominated the WJC. I even remember them saying he had some work to do until hed be a complete NHL player. And based on that assessment I have seen nothing to disprove that. He is hands down the fastest goalie in the league, just not always the smartest, and stuff like that takes time to get adjusted to. Not to mention hes 18 and goaltending is one of the most difficult positions in the league. Most goalies dont hit their peak until they are 25 or 26, just look at Luongo.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, I don't think Fleury really was hyped in the draft that much, atleast not enough to support your claim of being hyped more than Lecavalier (Michael Jordan of hockey?). Fleury never was a lock for the first overall. Team needs aside, i still think it's pretty even between him and Staal, and maybe throw Horton in there too.

But Fleury is and will be a good goalie, he is only 19. Don't give up on him just yet.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
so over hyped that Clarke tried to trade up and get him right? this sounds more like bitterness than a legit argument.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Man, I had a feeling and still do that he will be a bust, but is definately not one yet.

He's so young at 18, and possibly won't reach his prime untill 26 still, but he has had a bad year this year in the clutch when it counts. But then again, many Quebec goalies reach their potential early like Luongo who was still stellar in juniors but played for a horrendous NYI team.

IMO Horton, Staal, Zherdev and Fleury are all even and you could change them all around and it would work.

In the future, I think Fleury will be a good goalie, maybe top 5 in the NHL, but not top 3. Lehtonen is far better than him. I see Fleury just a slight level below what Jose Theodore is now.

In 3 years, the top goalies IMO will be

Luongo
Lehtonen
Fleury
Vokun
Denis
Ouellet
Theodore

He'll be among them, but not at the top 3 IMO.

Cariboux

Sep 8, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
I think that Fleury was too young to start the season with the Pens and he should have past the season in the Q. I speak to many Chicoutimi fans and they said that they never seen a great goalie like him at the games at Chicoutimi. He face a lot of dangerous shot and without him, the Eagles would have loose by many more goals. I don't think he's to blame for this year WJC because in the final, he wasn't the only responsible for the loose when you look back

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Raider Zero said:
so over hyped that Clarke tried to trade up and get him right? this sounds more like bitterness than a legit argument.

Actually, it's you that has no argument.

What Clarke does is completely irrelevant. How exactly, if a person feels a player is overrated does that have anything to do with what his team's GM does? Is he going to say "Oh, well, GKJ says he's overrated, I won't trade for him." Or does he say "Well, GKJ says this player is awesome, now I gotta make sure I get him!" Grasping at straws. Holds no water.

This is exactly the problem when dealing with hype. Just because a few people, who happened to be GMs or so, want a player does not make that player a guarantee. So Clarke wanted him... big deal? He obviously didn't think THAT high of him or he would have done whatever it took to get him.

Personally, I think he's a bit overrated too. But I do think he's a franchise goaltender, but I don't think he's going to be an all-time great. Only time will tell though, and I certainly could be wrong.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
JDB3939 said:
Everyone talks of Fleury cracking under the pressure this year. But last year wasn't he the main reason Team Canada got as far as it did at the WJC? Most of you were praising his name last year at this time and speaking of how amazing he is. Now he has a a few rough games this year and everyone talks about how he is overhyped, when you are all the ones that hyped him. And I mean a few rough games. He was stellar in Pittsburgh during his stay. He was shaky in the WJC, but he was dominant in the Q until a few rough playoff games. A few rough games in his season and everyone turns their backs on him, wow.
agreed

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Fleury wasn't the problem, the team was. They just didn't show up. That said, Fleury wasn't good either, but you can't say that he's the reason why they lost and that he choked. He wasn't good, but he wasn't bad either.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Fleury has shown that he is a great goaltender in terms of his play.

The only issue so far is that he has not performed in big games. Fleury SHOULD be dominating at this level, yet his team lost to a 7 seed. I don't care if the team plays flat, having an NHL calibre goaltender against 17 and 18 year olders should be enough to win the series regardless of how poorly the rest of the team plays.

Fleury hasn't shown himself to be a winner yet, but he HAS shown so far that he can get his team to big games. I'm sure with time and maturity he will gain the necessary confidence. It's premature to call him anything but a young goaltender at this point.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
Disco Volante said:
Isn't those comments a little contradictory?
I didn't clarify myself. Sorry.

I just have this weird feeling that he's going to be a bust, but when I think about it, I think that he will eventually be a solid goalie. I don't think he'll be anywhere close to what people predicated but also, it's a little to early to even make any assesment. These poles about Fleury vs. Luongo are ludacris same as Who's better between Brodeur and Luongo as Luongo hasn't achieve a fraction of what Brodeur has in his life YET. In terms of ability you can compare Luongo and Brodeur but not Luongo and Fleury. Expectations are just so high for Fleury.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
thedjpd said:
Actually, it's you that has no argument.

What Clarke does is completely irrelevant. How exactly, if a person feels a player is overrated does that have anything to do with what his team's GM does? Is he going to say "Oh, well, GKJ says he's overrated, I won't trade for him." Or does he say "Well, GKJ says this player is awesome, now I gotta make sure I get him!" Grasping at straws. Holds no water.

This is exactly the problem when dealing with hype. Just because a few people, who happened to be GMs or so, want a player does not make that player a guarantee. So Clarke wanted him... big deal? He obviously didn't think THAT high of him or he would have done whatever it took to get him.

Personally, I think he's a bit overrated too. But I do think he's a franchise goaltender, but I don't think he's going to be an all-time great. Only time will tell though, and I certainly could be wrong.
i beleive the deal Clarke offered florida was williams, woywitka, and philly's 2 first rounders. Dudley wanted Horton enough that he took the Pens deal instead. i think Clarke did everything in his power to get him.

and what am i arguing that i have no argument for? all i said was it sounds like he is bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->