Speculation: Flat Cap TML 2020-2021 (Trade Value)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So as the boredom sets in and the season is slipping away I thought I would project what the TML would look like with a flat cap.

2020-2021
$81,500,000

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev JT Barabanov
Engvall Nylander Kapanen
Clifford Spezza Gauthier
Korskov

Reilly ??????
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

Andersen
Campbell

The obvious:
  • Resign Clifford
  • Resign Spezza
  • Resign Gauthier
  • Resign Mikheyev
  • Sign Barabanov

What is the trade value for:
Kerfoot
AJ
Dermott (RFA rights)

Looking to acquire a player like:
Manson-Ducks
Savard-CBJ
Tanev-UFA
Hamonic-UFA(Not Ideal)

(Roughly 4 million dollar cap and is a RHD focused D)

Be kind, thoughts?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Well, there's no Manson for those players listed.

Tanev will probably get more than 4 mill.

Savard costs a hair over 4 mill and can't imagine Columbus is willing to trade him for one of those 3 players listed, but could be wrong.

Even Hamonic is likely to get just over 4,but might take less to get longer term.

Your most likely scenario is to sign Hamonic and trade the others for picks and prospects to get cap compliant.

That's just for the players listed. There could be another option out there.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Resigning Clifford is far from obvious. I'd say it's more likely to not happen than happen given the lack of cap space, and the fact that we're giving LA a higher pick if we do. There will likely be a team that can and will pay him more who doesn't have to give up a pick too that he'd have to seriously be willing to take a big discount to stay here.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
why is signing clifford obvious? he could cost 2-2.5 and then we toss the kings a 2nd instead of a 3rd

Id go the other way and say its unlikely (Unless he is willing to take 1 mil per and the leafs really liked his game)

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Why move on from Dermott and make an already weak defence weaker? Also wouldn't pencil in a career KHLer into a top 6 role.

yeah Nylander absolutely needs to be in the top 6, and Barabanov would need to earn a top 9 role first (not a given as he didnt have a great year)

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
So as the boredom sets in and the season is slipping away I thought I would project what the TML would look like with a flat cap.

2020-2021
$81,500,000

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev JT Barabanov
Engvall Nylander Kapanen
Clifford Spezza Gauthier
Korskov

Reilly ??????
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

Andersen
Campbell

The obvious:
  • Resign Clifford
  • Resign Spezza
  • Resign Gauthier
  • Resign Mikheyev
  • Sign Barabanov

Kerfoot
AJ
Dermott (RFA rights)

Manson-Ducks
Savard-CBJ
Tanev-UFA
Hamonic-UFA(Not Ideal)

Be kind, thoughts?
You can't keep Marner and make it work

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Why are we assuming a flat cap? Assume a 75m cap with a compliance buyout.

Would entail trading AJ & Kerfoot, or Nylaner + AJ/Kerfoot, or one of the big forwards and trading Mikheyev if you can't get him in under 1.5m. All of those scenarios bring them to ~66m with a 13 to 16 man roster.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
You can't keep Marner and make it work

I disagree but understand the thought. Is it ideal no but I actually think all three lines are fairly balanced provided Barabanov can play. Each like has two full time NHL players. Both elite CTR. Marner is an elite RW and both Hyman and Mikheyev play a similar role in that they can score and dig/bang in the corners. The real question is can Nylander play 3C. If we look at Kadri he changed his game up quite a bit. I know he always had a bit of a chip on his shoulder but if he can do it Nylander is much more talented IMO.

This way we don’t give up any of our core players and hopefully the estimates with of the expansion team and TV money we are just a year away from a Cap closer to 90+ million.

The biggest question is can we find a competent RHD to play alongside Reilly. It would be interesting to see if a player like Buff would be willing and able to come back.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The defence core is not good at all lilj and sandin are both clearly not ready for the nhl, sandin had an ok showing but definitely not ready in my opinion

Obviously you didn’t watch many TML games. Sandin is solid and a better player than Dermott. While the stats may not be impressive Liljegren played a solid defensive game and was usually hung out to dry by his partner Marincin.

Is it ideal no but it’s not like we really have a choice the idea of dismantling our core for one year is not an option IMO.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Why are we assuming a flat cap? Assume a 75m cap with a compliance buyout.

Would entail trading AJ & Kerfoot, or Nylaner + AJ/Kerfoot, or one of the big forwards and trading Mikheyev if you can't get him in under 1.5m. All of those scenarios bring them to ~66m with a 13 to 16 man roster.

When has that ever happened? What would thar possibly accomplish?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
When has that ever happened? What would thar possibly accomplish?
When has what ever happened? The cap going down? A contender selling off assets? You act as though we're in normal circumstance; you act as though the commissioner didn't just say that their best estimates bring the figure in around 73m.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

2020-2021
$81,500,000

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev JT Barabanov
Engvall Nylander Kapanen
Clifford Spezza Gauthier
Korskov

Reilly ??????
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl

Andersen
Campbell

The obvious:
  • Resign Clifford
  • Resign Spezza
  • Resign Gauthier
  • Resign Mikheyev
  • Sign Barabanov

Kerfoot
AJ
Dermott (RFA rights)

Manson-Ducks
Savard-CBJ
Tanev-UFA
Hamonic-UFA(Not Ideal)

Be kind, thoughts?
I don't see Tanev taking less than he is making now. In fact talk out of Vancouver is that he's looking for a raise and that could price him out of Vancouver. I don't see the value in Trading Dermott unless there is a guarantee it was for a D upgrade and with 2 rookies on the D in this line-up I'd be reluctant to get rid of Dermott. There are a lot of unknowns or short sample size players on that roster Barabanov, Mikheyev, Engvall, Liljegren, Sandin, Korskov. I would think a team with cup aspirations would want a little more "known commodity" players but cap is going to be an issue so maybe they have no other options.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
When has what ever happened? The cap going down? A contender selling off assets? You act as though we're in normal circumstance; you act as though the commissioner didn't just say that their best estimates bring the figure in around 73m.

?
1.) The cap has never gone down in any real way.
2.) the owners have lost money. Lowering the cap isn’t going to help. Compliance buyouts add more money.
3.) multiple sources including Fehr and Daly have said they will make a cap that works for both

4.) wasn’t the 73 an April fools joke?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
?
1.) The cap has never gone down in any real way.
2.) the owners have lost money. Lowering the cap isn’t going to help. Compliance buyouts add more money.
3.) multiple sources including Fehr and Daly have said they will make a cap that works for both

4.) wasn’t the 73 an April fools joke?

Lol I got trolled hard, fair enough. My bad.

EC

Nov 10, 2016
Make the following trades

1.Marner & Dermott for Konecny, Patrick & Myers
2. Johnsson
3. Kerfoot

Problems solved!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad