Speculation: Flat Cap Casualties?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Asking for opinions on teams tight against the cap and the players they will trade or give away, any players they'd be looking to protect and how much the rate of exchange for taking a negative value contract will go up.

For example I'm sure the St Louis Blues would rather get Pietrangel back even if it costs paying someone to take Bozak or Allen. My speculation.

Reactions: egelband and Meeqs

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Asking for opinions on teams tight against the cap and the players they will trade or give away, any players they'd be looking to protect and how much the rate of exchange for taking a negative value contract will go up.

For example I'm sure the St Louis Blues would rather get Pietrangel back even if it costs paying someone to take Bozak or Allen. My speculation.

teams will just forfeit games with the flat cap.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Minnesota is in fairly good shape. I'd probably be willing to pay someone to take Dubnyk, but that's not really cap related. That's just to get him off the team.

Reactions: Meeqs

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
It would be interesting to get a list of players teams would likely want to move to see if there are any mutual hockey deals we might see from it.

Reactions: egelband

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
It would be interesting to get a list of players teams would likely want to move to see if there are any mutual hockey deals we might see from it.
What I'm hoping for, but I don't want to tell other fanbases their team's business.

Can you imagine what Seattle would be able to pull off if they were entering the league this year? I honestly think we'll see some riple effects on their expansion draft anyway.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
What I'm hoping for, but I don't want to tell other fanbases their team's business.

Can you imagine what Seattle would be able to pull off if they were entering the league this year? I honestly think we'll see some riple effects on their expansion draft anyway.

I actually think SEA is in a better position where they actually are then if they were to come in right now. While teams are the least prepared for it this year, due to guaranteed contracts I expect the following year to be harder than this one. They are definitely one of the winners of this situation.

I think for the super hockey nerds how the market reacts to this shift will be wildly fascinating and we can see some real odd moves because of it.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I actually think SEA is in a better position where they actually are then if they were to come in right now. While teams are the least prepared for it this year, due to guaranteed contracts I expect the following year to be harder than this one. They are definitely one of the winners of this situation.

I think for the super hockey nerds how the market reacts to this shift will be wildly fascinating and we can see some real odd moves because of it.
The only parallels I can think of is the end of the Great Lockout.

Either way, for a league that collectively resolved not to get taken again like the Knights did in their expansion draft and now they are beholden to the Seattle whatevers.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Still mildly dubious about how much things swing here. It's not a million miles away from the cap increase going down at the last moment last season, and while there were a lot of cap clearing moves then, for the most part teams didn't give up much more value than usual to do it.

In any case, the Penguins are more or less fine. We'll probably have to move a goalie and mightn't get the return we'd have liked, but that's it. If somebody is interested in Jack Johnson or Bjugstad then I imagine the team would be happy to talk, but not paying to move them.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Blues will be fine. Only need to find 3 million to pay petro 9.5. Petro already said he would take a team friendly 1 year deal till blues have more available cap.

Reactions: bernmeister

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
There will be some interesting cap casualties. I'd be looking at folks on higher-value deals with a year remaining; teams will be willing to eat the buyouts on some of those players.

I'd think a few potential candidates:
Henrik Lundqvist (saves the Rangers 3M in 2020-21, only hits for 1.5M year after)
Paul Stastny (saves Vegas 3.66M in 2020-21)
Brandon Dubinsky
Alex Steen

You're looking at guys on teams with either key RFAs to sign or right against the cap whose contracts backdive enough to make the buyout make sense. There's another tier of players (mid-sixers with mid-range salaries and term, or RFAs looking for paydays outside the scope of their general value) who likely get swapped to teams with tons of cap space (Buffalo, NJ, Ottawa) for futures.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
There will be some interesting cap casualties. I'd be looking at folks on higher-value deals with a year remaining; teams will be willing to eat the buyouts on some of those players.

I'd think a few potential candidates:
Henrik Lundqvist (saves the Rangers 3M in 2020-21, only hits for 1.5M year after)
Paul Stastny (saves Vegas 3.66M in 2020-21)
Brandon Dubinsky
Alex Steen

You're looking at guys on teams with either key RFAs to sign or right against the cap whose contracts backdive enough to make the buyout make sense. There's another tier of players (mid-sixers with mid-range salaries and term, or RFAs looking for paydays outside the scope of their general value) who likely get swapped to teams with tons of cap space (Buffalo, NJ, Ottawa) for futures.

Why not just leave Dubinsky on LTIR? He's never going to play again anyhow.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and Fro

BPD

Jul 7, 2009
New York City
Fair enough; I wasn't aware that him being on LTIR was the plan seeing as they seemed to expect him to come back. I missed the whole "Kekkelainen thinks it's chronic" situation earlier in the Spring.

BattleLevel

Jan 19, 2014

If Little ends up not being able to go next season, I could see the Jets maybe being interested in Bozak if the Blues ate some salary and added something. What do you think the add would be?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Fair enough; I wasn't aware that him being on LTIR was the plan seeing as they seemed to expect him to come back. I missed the whole "Kekkelainen thinks it's chronic" situation earlier in the Spring.

Hes not playing again...so LTIR will be a thing

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Blues will be fine. Only need to find 3 million to pay petro 9.5. Petro already said he would take a team friendly 1 year deal till blues have more available cap.

That means Dunn is signing for $1m?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

Paying someone What to take Bozak or Allen? 5 Million for a 34yo third line centre is not going to find many suitors without a pretty significant package, and what do the blues really have to give away? Their first this year will be low. Kostin has been fairly mediocre in the AHL, no other prospects are super interesting... I just dont really see it. Allen is worse IMO.

It's going to cost, and I am not sure how the Blues can pay without it hurting the current roster.

That said, i would offer something like Sam Bennett for Robert Thomas + Jake Allen. You get a former top 5 pick that has struggled to put it together outside of the playoffs for the flames, we get the much stronger centre prospect in Thomas but allieviate your cap crunch by taking on the abhorrent Allen contract.

Reactions: Meeqs

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Paying someone What to take Bozak or Allen? 5 Million for a 34yo third line centre is not going to find many suitors without a pretty significant package, and what do the blues really have to give away? Their first this year will be low. Kostin has been fairly mediocre in the AHL, no other prospects are super interesting... I just dont really see it. Allen is worse IMO.

It's going to cost, and I am not sure how the Blues can pay without it hurting the current roster.

That said, i would offer something like Sam Bennett for Robert Thomas + Jake Allen. You get a former top 5 pick that has struggled to put it together outside of the playoffs for the flames, we get the much stronger centre prospect in Thomas but allieviate your cap crunch by taking on the abhorrent Allen contract.
You realize that Robert thomas is untouchable. He is the blues future 1c. Thanks but no thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->