flat-bladed sticks vs curved blades

aerialis

Oct 7, 2005
toronto & pittsburgh
bonjour

so i got to mess around with a flat-bladed stick today, and maybe its my imagination but my stickhandling got alot better, passes were crisper, and even though it was abit tougher to raise the puck, i had been having trouble with the puck going way too high with my normal stick anyways.

but that got me thinking, what are the benefits of curved blades? added velocity in the shot? or is it supposed to be easier to dangle with a wicked curve? im seriously considering picking up a flat stick now just based on how much easier it was to play with the puck outside of shooting

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
bonjour

so i got to mess around with a flat-bladed stick today, and maybe its my imagination but my stickhandling got alot better, passes were crisper, and even though it was abit tougher to raise the puck, i had been having trouble with the puck going way too high with my normal stick anyways.

but that got me thinking, what are the benefits of curved blades? added velocity in the shot? or is it supposed to be easier to dangle with a wicked curve? im seriously considering picking up a flat stick now just based on how much easier it was to play with the puck outside of shooting

Yeah generally a bigger curve gives you a litttle more kick to your shot. It'll make it easier to lift the puck quickly (especially if the curve is closer to the toe).

Straighter curves are usually better for passing and backhands. I also find it a bit easier to recieve passes with straighter curves.

I have heard some people who like straight blades better for stickhandling and also some who say a deeper curve is helpful becuase it allows you to protect the puck better on the blade.

Berger_4_

Dec 17, 2006
Bawlf Alberta Canada
Isn't the curve to make the shot a little more unpredictable? With a spin on the puck isn't it harder for the goalie (and the shooter I suppose) to predict where it will go?

GSC

Dec 21, 2004
The Basement
curve does exactly what you two said it does: adds kick to your shot, makes puck movement more unpredictable, cradles the puck for stickhandling.

The benefits of a straighter blade are definitely better passes and a better backhand, and lifting the puck has more to do with the loft/angle/flare of the blade itself and your technique in doing so.

Remember, the net isn't 10 feet off the ice ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad