GDT: Flaming Bears: Bruins (4-1-0) @ Flames(3-2-0) 7:30PM MT (SN360, FAN960)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Correction: If the PP and the PK work, we win.

In the NHL nowadays, special teams are so important. Gotta have both to win most nights.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Here's a fun fact: Tuukka Rask has never lost in regulation against the Flames

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Fingers are crossed that Smith has a bounce back game...

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Pretty pissed I’m not gonna be able to watch this at home. Have a 5 hour car ride tonight that I’m hoping I can stream the game on my phone. No I am not the one driving.

Go Flames go baby. Let’s f***ing go on a roll here. In b4 6-1 bruins..

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure why Peters moved Frolik back onto the Backlund line. I liked Czarnik there.
I like that Hathaway is in the lineup. I always liked Hathaway. He plays with a lot of energy.
No Dube tonight?

Probably wants the 3M line to match up with Bergeron I'm guessing. If it's not working I assume it will get changed. I like Czarnik there too but he isn't quite producing now. And for now, they want Neal on that third line to keep a threat there. I think this may be why Jankowski is being tried instead of Ryan with Bennett/Neal. Ryan's overall steadiness and faceoffs, with Czarnik's speed could open up some chances for the fourth line

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
A lot of people are saying that Frolik was moved back with Chucky and Backs to enhance their shut down capability against the Bruins #1 line. I'm not convinced that a 31 year old Frolik will do that.
I think Chucky and Backs will miss Czarnik's speed. I think a Chucky-Backs-Czarnnik line will do well against the Bergeron line. IMO Frolik is just too slow these days... plus I think Czarnik provides more offensive punch than Frolik.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
FREE TICKETS TO TONIGHT'S GAME and a free smoothie is you know where this place is and can get there first to collect your prize...

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
A lot of people are saying that Frolik was moved back with Chucky and Backs to enhance their shut down capability against the Bruins #1 line. I'm not convinced that a 31 year old Frolik will do that.
I think Chucky and Backs will miss Czarnik's speed. I think a Chucky-Backs-Czarnnik line will do well against the Bergeron line. IMO Frolik is just too slow these days... plus I think Czarnik provides more offensive punch than Frolik.

I think you are over playing Frolik's speed a little too heavily. While he's lost a half step, he's still average I think.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think you are over playing Frolik's speed a little too heavily. While he's lost a half step, he's still average I think.
Tkachuk talking about Czarnik:
"He was awesome," said Tkachuk. "I like playing with a lot of speed and skill on that right side. He’s a fast player, but makes awesome plays and you saw his shot tonight, which was great as well."

Now maybe I read this wrong but the first thing that popped into my mind was that Frolik wasn't those things and Tkachuk thought so too.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Frolik may not be the fastest, but what does him being 31 have to do with anything? He literally came into camp the fittest Flame. Not top end speed, but he is consistent. He doesn't slow down as the game goes on.

Also with Dube out, Czarnik adds much needed speed to the bottom 6.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

If Frolik doesn’t work out, i think Lindholm will be utilized on that line and Neal on the first.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
If Frolik doesn’t work out, i think Lindholm will be utilized on that line and Neal on the first.

As long as they are trying to protect Monahan's wrist, Lindholm will be played on the first line. If Lindholm adds to the chemistry on the first line I could see the Flames leaving him there to compete with lines like Bergeron, Pasternak, and Marchand / McDavid and well occupants / MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Rantanen and so forth. Sometimes the best defense is overwhelming teams with your offense.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Frolik may not be the fastest, but what does him being 31 have to do with anything? He literally came into camp the fittest Flame. Not top end speed, but he is consistent. He doesn't slow down as the game goes on.

Also with Dube out, Czarnik adds much needed speed to the bottom 6.
As you get older you lose a step or two. Frolik was never the fastest player out there, even in his prime and yeah.. he's consistently slow. Tough to slow down from slow. Fitness has nothing to do with skating speed. I know a lot of really fit people and they skate slower than molasses in the winter time.. however I will admit that they are able to maintain that glacial pace throughout the whole game.

If you want a line to shut down the Bergeron-Marchand-Pastrnak line you need a line that's just as fast and just as good. IMO by putting Frolik on with Chucky and Banks, they aren't. I still believe that Czarnik and his speed enhances the line more than Frolik.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames play the Bruins a lot better here than they do in Boston, optimistic for a win here. Contain the top line and DeBrusk and we win. Hell, even if they get 1-2 goals we should still be able to win if we can get the scoring continuing to go.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Will be interesting to see how Janko and Bennett matchup against a team with good forward and defensive depth. Looking for Neal and Tkachuk to stir the pot early and for a solid #1 goalie performance out of Smith. Probably will all come down to special teams, and if the 3M line can hold the Bergeron line. Want to see the Hanifin-Andersson pairing jump up in the rush a bit more too.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
FREE TICKETS TO TONIGHT'S GAME and a free smoothie is you know where this place is and can get there first to collect your prize...

Too bad I don’t work at the fifth and fifth building downtown anymore... I’d like free tickets.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Frolik may not be fast, but he's not slow either
I was using a bit of gratuitous hyperbole there. I know he's not slow. He's average and nowhere near as quick as Czarnik. The Bergeron-Marchand-Pastrnak line plays with speed and skill. Frankly I don't believe that a 31 year old Frolik, never the quickest player out there even in his prime, can keep up.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Czarnik back on the line sometime during the course of the game.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Lets poke the bear tonight boys.

PessimisticLimitedGilamonster-size_restricted.gif

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Would love to see Gio or Hath lay Marchand out at centre ice but I'd love to see us win even more. GFG

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Today's Flames locker room quotables..

QUOTABLES - 17.10.18

Coach Peters on facing the 4-1 Bruins:
"They're 4-1, we're 3-2. If we win tonight, we're 4-2 and they're 4-2. ... That's the way I look at it. Good hockey team; we're a good team. Who's going to have the better team game? The team that plays the right way the longest is going to win."

Frolik on facing the Bruins' top line:
"When you play against the best, you want to do well. Knowing how important this job is for our team tonight, it's not a pressure that we put on ourselves, but we feel the (weight) of that and want to perform well. It's a big, big challenge. We know that. They're pretty hot right now. They play with speed, they have great talent, and they force you to make plays under pressure. That's their game. They want the puck and they'll do anything to get it back. But that's them. We need to focus on our game, and that starts with shutting them down."

Smith on bouncing back:
"To be honest, what's done is done. I don't think we were happy with the way we played in St. Louis as a team - myself included. After the start in Colorado, I thought we played a better team game and started to limit the chances against. If you're giving up chance after chance, it's bound to go in the net sooner than later. My job doesn't change, whether (I'm coming off) a win or a loss. It's over and done with. I look forward to tonight against a high-powered team that can burn you if you're off your game a little bit. That's my focus right now."

Gaudreau on home-ice advantage:
"It's huge. I love playing here in the Saddledome, so hopefully we can get off to a good start here, build some momentum to start the period off, and try to get off to a good start before they do."

Peters on Dube's injury status:
Dube (lower body) missed Tuesday's practice and will not play tonight.
"He had a maintenance day yesterday and responded real well to that. He's going to get another one here today and hopefully that should be it. He's got a little bit of a lower-body issue and this will help us get ahead of it, and then it will be over with and we can move on. He won't go on the ice today, but we anticipate him practicing tomorrow. ... I'm sure it's hard for him, but I don't want to be dealing with it for seven months, right? You work hard all summer and come into camp at 100%, and then you're never at 100% again. He's got to get closer into the 90's before we play him."

Peters on Hamonic participating in practice:
The defenceman skated with the team for the first time (in a non-contact jersey) since suffering a facial fracture in Game 1 of the season.
"Good for our group and good for him. I think it will help him. He'll get back as quick as he can. I don't know what the timeline is for that yet, but I know he'll work hard in order to get back as quick as he can. ... You get your team back together, right? You get one of your teammates back, one of the guys that's in our leadership group. He's a vocal guy and he means a lot to our room."

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Frolik is no slower than Bergeron. Backlund is no slower than Marchand either.

The slowest player on that line is Tkachuk, so whining about Frolik's speed seems silly
Wrong. The slowest player on the Flames line and the Bruins line is Frolik. I fully expect Frolik to get burned a couple of times and then he's back on the 4th line and Czarnik takes his place on the 2nd. This isn't 2016 anymore and Frolik isn't still 29.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Hamonic on the ice in two weeks is way ahead of schedule I believe. IIRC I saw something about him not skating until at least 3 weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->