GDT: Flames / Yotes, 2:00 MT SNET-F

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
My question is why the hell did Peters try Lindholm at centre for like two games then give up? I know we scored like 1 goal but you have to leave him on there for an extended period of time if you want to legitimately give him a shot.

This reminds of the Gulutzan era in the worst way. My favourite thing about Peters last season was that he was not afraid to shake it up if he felt the team needed it. He’s done it a couple times this season but has time and time again gone back to the lines from last year.

It’s a frustrating start to the season to say the least.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
We didn't have a 1C in the Iginla era and we still don't. We can't go anywhere with this years Gaudreau but I think we could've with last years or the year before if he hadn't been our only serious threat to create a scoring chance.

IMG_20191116_162948.jpg

This charts stats are from 2017/2018-2018/2019. Look how many times Gaudreau carried the puck in, look at the two guys ahead of him (who had more total carries). Now not only are those two of the best offensive players in the entire NHL but they're also on shit teams because despite them being really good their teams absolutely blow and they're left with no help and have to do everything themselves.

I don't know what the hell happened to Gaudreau but he's carried us for the past 2 years and I'm genuinely surprised to so many people (Not just here but in general) think trading him is the path forward.

I have no problem with trading him but If you're trading him please for the love of god completely re-tool, trade Monahan, any pending UFA's and look at the Gio market. I don't see us winning a Gaudreau trade and I don't think swapping him for another winger of similar skill (Hall) is going to significantly change the Flames current prognosis

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think when it comes to our centers, it's a developmental issue again.

Monahan could be so much more than he is. But after years of letting him defer to Gaudreau for everything, he's turned out as a player with a very limited toolbox. Watching him carry the puck is painful.

Backlund took forever to become a Selke caliber center and right now it feels like we're witnessing a decline right back to 2012 Backlund.

Bennett's been jerked all around the line-up with no definitive role. He was permanently shifted to wing after not being able to drag Brouwer and Chiasson/Versteeg's ghosts around. Compare the tapes of Bennett is his first three seasons here vs his last three. Totally different player. We turned a highly skilled, but raw center with amazing upside into a checking winger.

Jankowski was always gonna be a project but it's one that failed. Move on

Tanking is the answer if you've got some good vets and a winning culture in the front office. We don't have that. Arizona, Florida, Edmonton, and Buffalo haven't had that at all in this century and it's why they're just now getting over a malaise that's been around for 10+ years. And to be honest, we don't have a dedicated enough fanbase to support a tank job and the owners know that. It's why we've always been given the directive to stay competitive even when we're bad.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The issue is, as it has been all season. Our bottom 6 forwards are terrible.

Everyday players Frolik, Lucic, Jankowski, Rieder combine for a grand total of 7 points. You simply cannot have have half your forward roster contribute little to nothing night in and out, and expect to win games in this league.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The issue is, as it has been all season. Our bottom 6 forwards are terrible.

Everyday players Frolik, Lucic, Jankowski, Rieder combine for a grand total of 7 points. You simply cannot have have half your forward roster contribute little to nothing night in and out, and expect to win games in this league.

I agree, but I also think our topline isn’t producing so we’re losing games. Our best players have not been our best players. It makes you think, if they masked our problems last season when they were playing elite. Once they cooled off after the Allstar break, this is what we’ve been seeing ever since. Maybe our team really isn’t very good.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I agree, but I also think our topline isn’t producing so we’re losing games. Our best players have not been our best players. It makes you think, if they masked our problems last season when they were playing elite. Once they cooled off after the Allstar break, this is what we’ve been seeing ever since. Maybe our team really isn’t very good.

Our top line could definitely be better, but statistically they aren’t that far off their usual pace.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Our top line could definitely be better, but statistically they aren’t that far off their usual pace.

I think most have been frustrated with Monahan, I actually haven’t minded him. Gaudreau looks disengaged. Lindholm has been the best of the trio. I would play Lindy at C with Tkachuk and put maybe Dube with Mony and hope they get sparked.

I know they will get going, but they’ve been cold and not scoring many goals. Our entire team has been off.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think most have been frustrated with Monahan, I actually haven’t minded him. Gaudreau looks disengaged. Lindholm has been the best of the trio. I would play Lindy at C with Tkachuk and put maybe Dube with Mony and hope they get sparked.

I know they will get going, but they’ve been cold and not scoring many goals. Our entire team has been off.

People keep saying Gaudreau looks disengaged/disinterested, but I don't see that at all. He looks like he's trying really hard every shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad