Speculation: Flames went hard for Prust last summer.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
During his end of season interview jay feaster mentioned they went after a big physical forward hard last summer in free agency that had played for Calgary before and the team that lost him it was talked about all season how they missed him. This is obviously the description of Brandon Prust.

Not that it means anything now but I just thought it was an interesting tidbit. Would have loved to see Prust back in Calgary but I do believe the canadians overpayed.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I was happy when Prust left. He took so many dumb penalties it was hard to watch. But then he had a solid season with the Rangers...

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
i love prust.... we lost such a good team guy in him... tough as nails... infused energy...

we may have a prust in ferland which would be nice

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
We also let Cracknell walk. Good idea at the time but he has been running over guys all over the ice in the LA-STL game tonight

TylerSVT*

Why sutter ever traded him is beyond me... I guess we didnt want players who played with heart.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really don't understand how there is even a conversation going about this? It was common knowledge during the summer the Flames made a pitch for Prust, rumours have it for the same money Montreal paid.

But this was last summer, why even worry about it now? It's long over and done with. We need to stop looking at the past and look into the future.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
I really don't understand how there is even a conversation going about this? It was common knowledge during the summer the Flames made a pitch for Prust, rumours have it for the same money Montreal paid.

But this was last summer, why even worry about it now? It's long over and done with. We need to stop looking at the past and look into the future.

We also have nothing else to talk about since our season is over. :laugh:

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto

I wasn't aware of the Prust rumors and I just thought it was cool cuz I'm a Prust fan. If you don't want to talk about, why bother clicking on the link? Not likes there's anything else to really talk about until after the draft.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
This was pretty well known at the time.. All the analysts pretty much picked it up at free agency, I remember when we had mcgrattan and Prust, I was happier than pigs in ****, now if we had them both in their current forms, damn, that would be intimidating

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Without any bit or sarcasm or any bit of joking around; had Calgary night in/out had a guy like Prusty in the lineup this year, this team would be in a different position. Maybe not in the playoffs, far from that, but more in the 10-16 range, than the 1-7 range they spend most of the season.

These types of guys give it all. Every little bit of them is left on the ice, every night. Begin tried, but he's no where near Prust levels. Jackman apparently wants to be a skilled forward in the NHL with chimp hands. Mac got a lot of it done, but he played a limited amount of games in a Flames Jersey.

Tough costumers, who are defensively responsible, who bring tons of energy that is truly contagious on a team... are damn near impossible to find. You plug in a goon, but it's really not the same thing.

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
Although I like the qualities that Prust brings to the table, you shouldn't be signing UFA guys like him to $10M deals over 4 years with a cap hit of $2.5M/year

You should be drafting and developing young guys like him to add to your core on the cheap

For example see the Chicago Blackhawks and guys like Bickell and Stalberg (didn't draft him but acquired him young). They redeveloped their bottom forwards after everyone left after their previous cup win with similar guys well retaining their core and are looking good for another serious playoff run. These guys are cheap and will likely be gone after this year but Chicago well get what they needed from them (hopefully) and then start over again will keeping their core.

The line of Bickell ($542k cap hit) - Shaw ($578k cap hit) - Stalberg ($875k) has been amazing for the team all year playing a similar role to Prust with a combined caphit that is less than Prust. That is how you do a 3rd/4th line in the NHL these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad