Confirmed with Link: Flames Waive Brett Kulak (Spoiler: He Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Kulak is a 24 year old D-man that would slot in on many teams in the 4 position and on some of the weakest defensively like the one up north in the third slot. He is under salary control for 3 more years and at 24 is still 4 or so years away from nearing his peak potential.

He is as good as gone.

That said there are several options to fill his spot in the line-up with as much talent or more.

Which team would he slot is as the #4. I'm genuinely curious.

Even in Edmonton he's not ahead of Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson, or a healthy Sekera. Hell he's probably not ahead of Russell either.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I definitely see Edmonton putting in a claim. For multiple reasons. Insurance on an unhealthy Sekera, still relatively cheap, and it's always nice sticking it to a rival team.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Which team would he slot is as the #4. I'm genuinely curious.

Even in Edmonton he's not ahead of Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson, or a healthy Sekera. Hell he's probably not ahead of Russell either.

There's some teams he'd be fringe, but not many I can see he'd easily be top 4. I.E Vancouver between him and MDZ.

He's a top 6D on almost every team in the league though. It'll be interesting to learn his fate here in a few minutes.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
There's some teams he'd be fringe, but not many I can see he'd easily be top 4. I.E Vancouver between him and MDZ.

He's a top 6D on almost every team in the league though. It'll be interesting to learn his fate here in a few minutes.

Top six sure. I'd definitely not argue against that. I just don't get the top 4 comments.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Top six sure. I'd definitely not argue against that. I just don't get the top 4 comments.

I completely agree. It's a stretch to call him a top 4D in any way.
That being said, he's still relatively young, and has shown to be a really solid 6D for us this past season... one of the best we've had in a long time.

Really all you ask for from that 6D is that he doesn't hurt you, and brings something to the table. Kulak didn't hurt us last season, he brought solid two-way play to us as well. I really liked his game. We need guys like that churning through our roster. In the not-so-distant future we're going to be pretty tight, and without bad contracts to look forward to ending.

BT must feel that Valimaki, Andersson and maybe Kylington are pretty close though. This was a negotiation move, but they also must feel their other guys are close... why lose an asset for nothing if you feel you can't replace him?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Clears.

Crow anyone?
Funny how teams will happily take on bad contracts of other teams for guys that won't play (Horton, Clarkson, Pronger, Datsyuk, Hossa) all at big $$$, but won't take an actual playing player who could be had for peanuts. How the business goes I guess!

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Funny how teams will happily take on bad contracts of other teams for guys that won't play (Horton, Clarkson, Pronger, Datsyuk, Hossa) all at big $$$, but won't take an actual playing player who could be had for peanuts. How the business goes I guess!
Those players usually come with a valuable asset. Sorry but Kulak has little to no value around the league.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Because almost all of those are insured deals and don't actually cost money, or anywhere near the full salary. I think Horton was the only one who wasn't and that's why he was moved for Clarkson. Not to mention a lot of those trades were to hit the salary cap floor and avoid paying real money in the first place.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Well those LTIR players come with sweeteners and insurance pays (part of the) contract, so nothing similar in these cases

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Not to mention a lot of those trades were to hit the salary cap floor and avoid paying real money in the first place.

I've seen Arizona fans say theyve never needed that kind of contract to reach the floor. Not sure how correct this is though, but I'd like to see some numbers

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Nice. Gives Treliving the high ground in arbitration now. Risky, but looks like it's paid off.
Not really. I get that that people have a hard on for him, but he’d be easily replaceable. I mean, we have better players pencilled in to play in the AHL next year. I get he’s got a bit of upside (a little bit anyways), but I wouldn’t be upset at all if he had gotten claimed.

I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that he gets beat out in camp by Andersson or Valimaki anyways.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No surprise he cleared. Pending arb case for a serviceable #6 that every team has a bunch of
Exactly, every team has a kulak or two....why take on someone arbitration case

Ideally, I would prefer some toughness on the bottom 6.
But I am ok with kulak, he doesn't do anything negative. Or positive.

Reactions: Ty Dolla

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Crow anyone?
Over Kulak?

635817621033016784-2143308462_andypolitenessfinal.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad