Confirmed with Link: Flames Waive Brett Kulak (Spoiler: He Cleared)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Once upon a time, I think similar things were said about TJ Brodie. There are legitimate fears of Kulak being claimed. OKG might be out to lunch with how he's evaluating Kulak's play, but IMO, Kulak could be a late bloomer who could exceed a #4 role later in his career.
Kulak is not TJ Brodie. If Kulak surpasses Brodie in his career, I will get his face tattooed on my chest.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really feel like he’ll be claimed.
I'm not sure he will. Sure he skates well and isn't a liability, but he's soft as hell and a clear #6, with an arbitration hearing pending, if he wins you can't walk away from it

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Kulak is not TJ Brodie. If Kulak surpasses Brodie in his career, I will get his face tattooed on my chest.

Lol, sorry. That was not what I was trying to imply. I can see how it could be interpreted that way though.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I like Kulak and think he can be an average NHL defenseman but I kinda hope he gets claimed if only so people shut the f*** up about Paul Byron

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like Kulak and think he can be an average NHL defenseman but I kinda hope he gets claimed if only so people shut the **** up about Paul Byron
They won't, now they will bitch about Kulak and Byron.... and Nakladal

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like Kulak and think he can be an average NHL defenseman but I kinda hope he gets claimed if only so people shut the **** up about Paul Byron

Do you know what happens when you try to put a grease fire out with water?

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Once upon a time, I think similar things were said about TJ Brodie. There are legitimate fears of Kulak being claimed. OKG might be out to lunch with how he's evaluating Kulak's play, but IMO, Kulak could be a late bloomer who could exceed a #4 role later in his career.

Which I can get the fear. But I'm indifferent, because in the event he actually does surpass that level, it wouldn't be here anyway, not with Gio, Brodie, Hanifin and Hamonic ahead of him, and Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki coming up on him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was joking, implying that Nakladal was comically irrelevant. Regardless I haven't seen anyone mention him since he signed in Carolina.

His contract was terminated after like 3 games with Carolina...

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I'm not sure he will. Sure he skates well and isn't a liability, but he's soft as hell and a clear #6, with an arbitration hearing pending, if he wins you can't walk away from it
Skates well and isn't a liability is pretty desirable for a lot of teams IMO.

As a "for instance" he'd possibly be the #4 in Edmonton (with maybe a bit of upside) and allows them to buy out an undesirable contract.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I feel like this may be a time where he is less likely to be claimed. If this was at the end of training camp and a team was unhappy with how their bottom pair looked on the ice, maybe it's more likely he's claimed. Now though, teams are still hopeful for young guys to step up and whatnot.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I feel like this may be a time where he is less likely to be claimed. If this was at the end of training camp and a team was unhappy with how their bottom pair looked on the ice, maybe it's more likely he's claimed. Now though, teams are still hopeful for young guys to step up and whatnot.

My reasoning is that other teams do not have any idea what he's asking in arbitration, and it wont be over that $4M or whatever it is that teams can walk away. So too much uncertainty when it comes to his cap hit, and Flames doing this implies he's asking too much.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I don't expect him to be claimed but I wouldn't be surprised if he was either. There's a few teams out there with tons of cap space th atcould use a smooth skating, puck moving defenceman who'll cost 1.5M max.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't expect him to be claimed but I wouldn't be surprised if he was either. There's a few teams out there with tons of cap space th atcould use a smooth skating, puck moving defenceman who'll cost 1.5M max.
This is accurate. I feel the same.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Kulak is a 24 year old D-man that would slot in on many teams in the 4 position and on some of the weakest defensively like the one up north in the third slot. He is under salary control for 3 more years and at 24 is still 4 or so years away from nearing his peak potential.

He is as good as gone.

That said there are several options to fill his spot in the line-up with as much talent or more.

Reactions: Morrison165

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Kulak is a 24 year old D-man that would slot in on many teams in the 4 position and on some of the weakest defensively like the one up north in the third slot. He is under salary control for 3 more years and at 24 is still 4 or so years away from nearing his peak potential.

He is as good as gone.

That said there are several options to fill his spot in the line-up with as much talent or more.
Exactly. If he hits his higher potential it won't be with us and so much competition anyways it would be on a team without depth on the back end .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->