GDT: Flames vs Sharks. 7pm. Welcome home

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Welp that looks a lot more like sharks hockey. still some defensive breakdowns but at least they didn't give up as many complete whopper chances off of them. burns gets the craziest bounces off his stick to trouble areas, at times this game i felt like he was slightly hesitating on diagnosing plays and that was costing him. he beasted OUT toward the end of the game, he was on for what seemed like the last 5 minutes.

gambrell is looking a LOT better and feisty, kind of tiernish at times. kind of starting to see why they are keeping him around. radil still seems like a net zero.
marleau as of right now still absolutely has got it. especially defensively, that top line controlling play and pushing the possession is a big part of the turnaround the last 2 games. if he can keep it up he is a steal.

our offensive game is still off on timing. it looked like this last year early as well for whatever reason. maybe it's because we have such high end playmakers that are trying crazy stuff all the time. once the timing comes we'll see some good stuff.

Reactions: one2gamble

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Looks like Gambrell had a strong game. It looked like he was playing with energy and desperation for the first time ever.

Reactions: SabresSharks

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I guess the young guys decided not to be PDB's sacrificial lambs last night. Otherwise, who knows what PDB would have stated in the presser after the game.

I was impressed by all of them, even Jones too. Would like to see more .900 plus games from him.

Hertl looked good controlling the puck behind the opponents net. Definitely turning into a true center if PDB allows it.

Thornton looked slow against the Flames, and even Marleau by comparison, but he doesn't seem to get going until Dec.

Still waiting on the "ice titling" that some has said of EK65. Sure he'll tilt the ice a few games here and there as all good players do. I'm waiting on consistency worthy of the expectations here.

Labanc snapped a great goal over Talbot's shoulder.

Marleau missed a somewhat difficult goal that 10 years ago, he probably would had made it. He did get an assist last night.

Bergman and Gambrell's reply to PDB about whether they want to be sent down must have been... "oh, heck no, I'm just getting started Coach".

Kane stayed out of the penalty box all night, and even drew a penalty. I figured he would be in there maybe twice since Flames has some serious agitators on their bench. Flames and Knights are two of the top teams in terms of agitating, imo.

If Kane can keep this focus and ignore the idiots this season, he should be consistently among the top 10 goal scorers in the league. Probably top 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Now that they secured a victory at the tank for patty it's time to forget everything about last night's game and revert to a high octane offense and give up at minimum 10 odd man breaks per game.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I guess the young guys decided not to be PDB's sacrificial lambs last night. Otherwise, who knows what PDB would have stated in the presser after the game.

I was impressed by all of them, even Jones too. Would like to see more .900 plus games from him.

Hertl looked good controlling the puck behind the opponents net. Definitely turning into a true center if PDB allows it.

Thornton looked slow against the Flames, and even Marleau by comparison, but he doesn't seem to get going until Dec.

Still waiting on the "ice titling" that some has said of EK65. Sure he'll tilt the ice a few games here and there as all good players do. I'm waiting on consistency worthy of the expectations here.

Marleau missed a somewhat difficult goal that 10 years ago, he probably would had made it. He did get an assist last night.

Bergman and Gambrell's reply to PDB about whether they want to be sent down must have been... "oh, heck no, I'm just getting started Coach".

Kane stayed out of the penalty box all night, and even drew a penalty. I figured he would be in there maybe twice since Flames has some serious agitators on their bench. Flames and Knights are two of the top teams in terms of agitating, imo.

If Kane can keep this focus and ignore the idiots this season, he should be consistently among the top 10 goal scorers in the league. Probably top 5.
Kane has scored 30 goals twice in his career. I don't see him ever in the top 10...at 30 goals (his career high) he wouldnt even crack the top 30 goal scorers over the last 2 seasons. He is good, but I'd trade all the regular season production for him to produce in the playoffs since his game is "built" for the playoffs.

Reactions: themelkman

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

EK65 just looks a step slower than he did compared to when he was playing peak hockey with us back in December/January before the injury. Forecheckers are beating him to pucks on dump ins which used to never happen. Hopefully it’s temporary because his skating is a big reason he’s such a weapon.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
EK65 just looks a step slower than he did compared to when he was playing peak hockey with us back in December/January before the injury. Forecheckers are beating him to pucks on dump ins which used to never happen. Hopefully it’s temporary because his skating is a big reason he’s such a weapon.
This is what's so perplexing about Karlsson. He looked as good or better than he did in December/January during that last preseason game but in the regular season he seems to be a bit slower.

I know the big thing with Karlsson is that he doesn't do much if any prep in the offseason (not sure how true this is, but I've read it a few times) and so he takes a bit to get up to game shape. It just seems weird you can look that good in the preseason (with things that have nothing to do the level of competition like skating, vision, hustle, ect) then look pretty pedestrian like 2 weeks later.

Reactions: BigDmitriy and Phu

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
This is what's so perplexing about Karlsson. He looked as good or better than he did in December/January during that last preseason game but in the regular season he seems to be a bit slower.

I know the big thing with Karlsson is that he doesn't do much if any prep in the offseason (not sure how true this is, but I've read it a few times) and so he takes a bit to get up to game shape. It just seems weird you can look that good in the preseason (with things that have nothing to do the level of competition like skating, vision, hustle, ect) then look pretty pedestrian like 2 weeks later.
Tbf he was kinda dumping on a Calgary AHL team. He will be fine, just needs to get focus and hustle back. He has shown the skill and vision this season, just needs to be consistent. I even felt like he had some really strong defensive play last night. Just needs to be consistent which he has proven he can do.

Reactions: Beethovens 10th

Domm

Jun 26, 2008
Tbf he was kinda dumping on a Calgary AHL team. He will be fine, just needs to get focus and hustle back. He has shown the skill and vision this season, just needs to be consistent. I even felt like he had some really strong defensive play last night. Just needs to be consistent which he has proven he can do.
Also had the surgery, might still be recovering

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I only watched from the 2nd period on yesterday but I thought Erik looked really good defensively. He made some mistakes but that is never going to change.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I think he looked pretty good and has moments of great. But also: difference between now and preseason? New baby. His issues right now seem like basic decision making (dumb/bad passes, etc) and energy. That could easily be attributed to bad sleep.

Im honestly just really happy his skating looks fine. The rest I’m not really worried about.

Reactions: Phu and Erep

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think he looked pretty good and has moments of great. But also: difference between now and preseason? New baby. His issues right now seem like basic decision making (dumb/bad passes, etc) and energy. That could easily be attributed to bad sleep.

Im honestly just really happy his skating looks fine. The rest I’m not really worried about.

Agreed. Physically he looks great, aside from maybe having low stamina. The mental problems he will get over.

Reactions: Phu

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Kane has scored 30 goals twice in his career. I don't see him ever in the top 10...at 30 goals (his career high) he wouldnt even crack the top 30 goal scorers over the last 2 seasons. He is good, but I'd trade all the regular season production for him to produce in the playoffs since his game is "built" for the playoffs.

'Cause his PIMs are too high every season. That's what's keeping him down on the goal production. Obviously, one cannot score from the penalty box. Kane needs a team with a potent PP. Otherwise, teams are risking penalties to get retaliatory penalty from Kane.

So far, Spott is being typical. Sharks are #23 in PPG%, but #7 in PK%. Season is young though, but this is Spott we're talking about.

As built for playoffs, he really hasn't shown it. His TOI/G is slightly better, but his PIMs is bad. Last playoff season, he matched a few total seasons in PIMs.

If he wouldn't get tangled up with the idiot agitators, I'd might agree with you regarding Kane/playoffs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
'Cause his PIMs are too high every season. That's what's keeping him down on the goal production. Obviously, one cannot score from the penalty box. Kane needs a team with a potent PP. Otherwise, teams are risking penalties to get retaliatory penalty from Kane.

So far, Spott is being typical. Sharks are #23 in PPG%, but #7 in PK%. Season is young though, but this is Spott we're talking about.

As built for playoffs, he really hasn't shown it. His TOI/G is slightly better, but his PIMs is bad. Last playoff season, he matched a few total seasons in PIMs.

If he wouldn't get tangled up with the idiot agitators, I'd might agree with you regarding Kane/playoffs.

Kane played the most 5-on-5 minutes of any Shark forward. His PIMs have nothing to do with his goal production.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Good to see Hertl going but I feel like there's something off about him. Captain Couture has been exactly as advertised and I'm so excited for this era.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Good to see Hertl going but I feel like there's something off about him. Captain Couture has been exactly as advertised and I'm so excited for this era.

I’m sure the wedding + honeymoon + settling down cut into his normal offseason routine.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Kane played the most 5-on-5 minutes of any Shark forward. His PIMs have nothing to do with his goal production.

He was honestly driving his line. Hopefully hertl really turns it on.

We are missing a guy like donskoi imo. Bergman could get there though.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I’m sure the wedding + honeymoon + settling down cut into his normal offseason routine.

Plus his confidence looked shaken before this game. He looked defeated on ISO shots. Glad to see a big 2 point night and some smiles. His game is built around confidence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad