GDT: Flames vs Rangers, 7:00 PM, MST. Sportsnet West, Fan 960

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Because we were bleeding high quality scoring chances nightly and would often spend periods hemmed in our own zone because there was 0 element of possession. Hartley is one side of the spectrum and Gulutzan is the other extreme. Ideally, we wouldn't have gotten slower after firing Hartley and we would've found someone closer to his end on the spectrum that had instilled more discipline in play

The differences between 2014-15 and 2015-16 were extreme, though. What you're describing was the year he was fired- 2015-16. Not sure if that was the personnel tuning him out or what.

2014-15 was exactly what the Rangers are doing to us tonight. With a relatively weak roster, they didn't allow quality chances. Just like tonight, the shots would say one thing, the "scoring chances" would say one thing, but the odd-man rushes would be tilted the other way, and more times than not, we'd get the better chances and win. The games we lost would also look like this one, except a bunch of those low-quality shots from the outside would somehow Anaheim Ducks their way into the net and we'd be behind the eight-ball.

But yeah, the Hartley system was designed to suppress high quality scoring chances at all costs. It was successful one year and then a failure the next year, and roster can't explain that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Please don't tell me that GG being a terrible coach is going to start some sort of revisionist history about Hartley being good or wrongly let go.

I hate GG but he is 1000x the coach that Hartley was.

I think, ultimately, I think Hartley had to be fired. But his system was not the problem, IMO. The players didn't want to play it anymore, and so there's nothing you can do but let him go.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Bettman and Co. calling for fans to chip in 100% for a new arena, and this is the games we get at home that season ticket holders pay good money to watch. 1 goal efforts and shut outs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Completely forgot there was a game tonight. Are we at least playing well?

They were playing great for the first 20 minutes, but weak goals combined with Henrik Lundqvist making about a half-dozen ridiculous saves frustrated them and they came completely apart about 25 minutes in. They've played well in the third, but we're getting underrated Lundqvist instead of overrated Lundqvist.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
How 44 doesn't get 3 penalties that shift, I literally have no idea.

This Pionk guy (44) thinks this game is still in the 90's dead puck era with the slashes and cross checks. Ref's agree with him.

BS.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
120 sog last 3 games. 3g.
87 sog against. 10g.

I guarantee the oil score 5+ tomorrow w Hank sitting and that D. Pionk vs Mcd and Draisaitl? Lolz.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
How 44 doesn't get 3 penalties that shift, I literally have no idea.

This Pionk guy (44) thinks this game is still in the 90's dead puck era with the slashes and cross checks. Ref's agree with him.

BS.

What's a penalty?

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: herashak and Jags68

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Please don't tell me that GG being a terrible coach is going to start some sort of revisionist history about Hartley being good or wrongly let go.

I hate GG but he is 1000x the coach that Hartley was.

Gulutzans team would be bottom 3 in the league with Hartleys roster and goalies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think, ultimately, I think Hartley had to be fired. But his system was not the problem, IMO. The players didn't want to play it anymore, and so there's nothing you can do but let him go.

When I watched his teams they seemed so incredibly loose defensively that it was hard to think it was just 18 guys (plus everyone else that came up) individually deciding to not care rather than the system or lack of a system.

I know for many fans they thought that was cool and let it wash out the numerous loses we had but in terms of developing a system that would work to win it sure didn't seem like he had that ability to do it.

I know the goalies we not great but there were a ton of "that guy scored" moments that again I think were ignored to in favor of a "thanks Hiller" comment from many fans.

Now that you hear (or hear more of as the comments were always out there) of how awful he was to the players it is pretty clear he definitely had to go and not surprising why he never comes up in talks for open jobs or why he needed his buddy to get him back in the league in Calgary.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gulutzans team would be bottom 3 in the league with Hartleys roster and goalies.

So pretty much where Hartley finished?

As mentioned above I think the goalies gave him an excuse for a lot of things that was his terrible coaching.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When I watched his teams they seemed so incredibly loose defensively that it was hard to think it was just 18 guys (plus everyone else that came up) individually deciding to not care rather than the system or lack of a system.

I know for many fans they thought that was cool and let it wash out the numerous loses we had but in terms of developing a system that would work to win it sure didn't seem like he had that ability to do it.

I know the goalies we not great but there were a ton of "that guy scored" moments that again I think were ignored to in favor of a "thanks Hiller" comment from many fans.

Now that you hear (or hear more of as the comments were always out there) of how awful he was to the players it is pretty clear he definitely had to go and not surprising why he never comes up in talks for open jobs or why he needed his buddy to get him back in the league in Calgary.

That's fair. To the fans, he seemed like a great guy from a humble background, but there definitely seems to be a dark side to how he pushes players' buttons.

But in the successful Hartley years, the defence was passive, but definitely not what I would call 'loose.'

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
With Anaheim looking like they have a good shot to win that puts us 3 points back with 1 more GP than them and 2 points back of the Avs who have 2 games in hand.

This 3 game run has been brutal for us.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
This entire crap season is going to be capped off by seeing the Islanders pick up some good players at the draft with our picks.

Lovely.

You know our pick will win one of the lottery slots as well.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Gulutzan is 10x the coach Hartley ever was. Not the greatest but Hartley was a s*** coach who had one incredibly lucky and unsustainable season

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
That's fair. To the fans, he seemed like a great guy from a humble background, but there definitely seems to be a dark side to how he pushes players' buttons.

But in the successful Hartley years, the defence was passive, but definitely not what I would call 'loose.'

I admittedly hate Hartley and the way he coached so I am probably going to take the more extreme view when describing his play.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Shots 51-27 for Calgary but why did it seem like a game we were outplayed? These useless shots from the ends of the blueline contribute to absolutely jack shit. I'd rather take 27 shots and 5 goal-posts over 51+ shot attempts consisting mostly of nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->