GDT: Flames vs Rangers, 7:00 PM, MST. Sportsnet West, Fan 960

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
90% of people on this board wanted Hartley gone because that type of hockey is unsustainable, so everyone agrees that the Flames losing this game is unsustainable, right? :sarcasm:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Definitely not a formidable defence corps to go up against. If they can reset and play proper hockey again, they definitely have a chance. Not a good chance, because nothing comes easy for this team.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Flames showed some signs of compete but then stopped playing. Gillies looks...odd.

Goalies are like QBs. It's really hard to win without a competent one.

Maybe they lost interest when they realize what they got in net.

Reactions: Pekkas Purse

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The only positive I can take is that it has to be clear as day that changes need to be made in the off-season and not just cosmetic moves like letting Versteeg go and bringing in another cheap vet to replace him. but at least one or two big moves and a coaching change at the very least.

There can't be any doubts anymore that this is not close to good enough to compete no matter how many points they are back of the last play-off spot at the end of the night.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The only positive I can take is that it has to be clear as day that changes need to be made in the off-season and not just cosmetic moves like letting Versteeg go and bringing in another cheap vet to replace him. but at least one or two big moves and a coaching change at the very least.

There can't be any doubts anymore that this is not close to good enough to compete no matter how many points they are back of the last play-off spot at the end of the night.

1) Get another coach
2) With no picks, no blue chip prospects and non existent role players....the only way they can make changes is to break up the core.

Reactions: Baxterman

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I also want to add, although I am fine with him getting fired right now for the countless other things he does, if GG sits Curtis Lazar for Tanner f'ing Glass again this season he should be fired. It is horrific that he has sat him the past two games but now that Glass has again shown that he adds nothing to the team there can be no reason to play him at 34 over the better player who is 22.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The core deserves another look with a different hopefully better coach. It's better on paper than what the results have shown.

Much like the Butter system, they have to work too hard, play almost perfectly to win games. It doesn't work.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Unreal.

"Congratulations, Brett Kulak, for being the lucky player to commit the 13th blatant infraction since we last bothered to call a penalty, you have won two minutes vacation in the penalty box!"

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The core deserves another look with a different hopefully better coach. It's better on paper than what the results have shown.

I am not sure if it's the right core but yeah a good coach should be able to make something out of it

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
90% of people on this board wanted Hartley gone because that type of hockey is unsustainable, so everyone agrees that the Flames losing this game is unsustainable, right? :sarcasm:

That type of hockey wasn't unsustainable, that type of roster was. We've improved our roster and forgotten what made us dangerous.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This core isn't a top 5 one on paper but they have all the right pieces. They have a quality starter, top #1D (time is ticking on this one), top 5-10 scorer, a guaranteed 30 goal scorer, good puck moving top 4, good shutdown and possession line.

The scoring depth is lacking but the fact that GG and his coaching staff haven't turned this team into more than WC fodder is damning of them

Jags68

Oct 16, 2017
Well, atleast they’re really trying to put in some effort here in the third! Hopefully they can make something happen

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Meh, there was a very vocal majority who believed that the system was to blame and wanted possession for possession's sake.

Who says Hartley hockey didn't have possession though? When our good players were on the ice we had possession and it was glorious. It just fell apart when guys like Engelland, Smid, Jokipakka, and Russell iced the puck every shift because unlike Gio Brodie Wideman and Hamilton they couldn't make a high end first pass. Now we have Hamonic and Kulak and we don't even let TJ Brodie or Mark Giordano make a stretch pass. It's ass backwards.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Meh, there was a very vocal majority who believed that the system was to blame and wanted possession for possession's sake.
Because we were bleeding high quality scoring chances nightly and would often spend periods hemmed in our own zone because there was 0 element of possession. Hartley is one side of the spectrum and Gulutzan is the other extreme. Ideally, we wouldn't have gotten slower after firing Hartley and we would've found someone closer to his end on the spectrum that had instilled more discipline in play

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Please don't tell me that GG being a terrible coach is going to start some sort of revisionist history about Hartley being good or wrongly let go.

I hate GG but he is 1000x the coach that Hartley was.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Please don't tell me that GG being a terrible coach is going to start some sort of revisionist history about Hartley being good or wrongly let go.

I hate GG but he is 1000x the coach that Hartley was.

I prefer to say both are bad coaches...they just have different issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->