GDT: Flames vs. Oilers - 7pm MT - SN [Mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
So lines if Versteeg draws back in soon?...

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Janko-Versteeg
Stajan-Shore-Lazar/Brouwer/Stewart

Would be my preference, Versteeg may need a stint on the 4th line to acclimate I guess.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
So lines if Versteeg draws back in soon?...

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Janko-Versteeg
Stajan-Shore-Lazar/Brouwer/Stewart

Would be my preference, Versteeg may need a stint on the 4th line to acclimate I guess.
As much as it pains me, put Brouwer in out of the 3 choices.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I wonder who would win in a footrace between prime Lemieux and McDavid? People like to compare him to Crosby since he was the last "great one" but I see a lot more Lemieux in Connor's game

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I wonder who would win in a footrace between prime Lemieux and McDavid? People like to compare him to Crosby since he was the last "great one" but I see a lot more Lemieux in Connor's game
McDavid is too soft to compare to Lemieux. Mario would go through guys or have one or two of them water skiing behind him and not care. What I noticed last game and have always noticed, if you play hard and dont give Mcdavid any space he gets marginalized pretty fast.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
McDavid is the best player ever to lace them up IMO.

He likely wouldn’t have been had he grown up in the 80s but that’s why I feel like comparing across generations is pointless. Put modern Johnny Gaudreau in the 80s and he would get a bazillion points.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Mario was the best IMO.

And for a short while, you could make a case that there has never been a player more dominant than Lindros. He was unstoppable, but he just wasn’t built to last.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Favourite bit from the game for me occurred after Johnny had made a stupid blind backhand pass to the middle right before entering the blueline. During the play stoppage shortly after, Smith yells at him "Come on Johnny!". I love that Smith isn't afraid to straighten things out even to the top scorer on the team. He's a leader that any playoff team should have, and it's a shame the team generally hasn't performed well enough to ride on his excellent form this season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think he was finally putting it together when his brain got scrambled.

I agree. Prime Lindros was an elite scorer, not the goat, but elite. But when you are looking at a players ability to take over game, those 2-3 seasons it’s hard to argue that anyone had a bigger impact than Lindros. Obviously he got hurt so he just never had the sustainability of the others, but Lindros is the reason I’m a Flyers fan today.

I think Howe is a good choice. Orr is obviously a great one along with Wayne. For my money all time I’m taking Mario. I know you wouldn’t because he’s wobbly little bird lol.

Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I agree. Prime Lindros was an elite scorer, not the goat, but elite. But when you are looking at a players ability to take over game, those 2-3 seasons it’s hard to argue that anyone had a bigger impact than Lindros. Obviously he got hurt so he just never had the sustainability of the others, but Lindros is the reason I’m a Flyers fan today.

I think Howe is a good choice. Orr is obviously a great one along with Wayne. For my money all time I’m taking Mario. I know you wouldn’t because he’s wobbly little bird lol.
I wouldn't take Mario because he wasn't the best player of his generation, let alone all-time. He was simply not as good as Gretzky AINEC.

I think all-time best is Orr & Gretz at 1-2 and it's very close, after that I think there is a gap before #3, which would include, Howe, Messier, Lidstrom, Mario, Roy, Dryden & Brodeur

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'll never get how people can argue against 99, but that's always opinion. Funny part was that he was undersized, and a horrible skater. But his IQ was in another world, watching him work behind the opposition net was like watching a magic show half the time. Now in terms of pure skill all time, I honestly cannot argue McDavid, If he keeps getting stronger he'll wind up on par with Crosby and be the fastest player ever. That's a scary thought. But all time, with the records he holds, Gretzky takes the cake.

My favorite players of all time were Yzerman, Sakic, Iginla, Datsyuk. I'll never forget on a new years game at the dome watching Sakic score a goal, go down in the second with a broken jaw, come back out in the 3rd with a face guard and bury the flames with 2 more goals to complete the hat trick. That's a hockey player!

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Gretzky had the numbers, but does anyone really think Super Mario wouldn't have given him a good run for them had he been able to stay healthy?

I think they were pretty much equal in their prime, tough to pick one over the other.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Gretzky had the numbers, but does anyone really think Super Mario wouldn't have given him a good run for them had he been able to stay healthy?

I think they were pretty much equal in their prime, tough to pick one over the other.

Mario probably would have, it's a shame about his health. But we'll never know, so you have to go with Gretzky. But for his time, it's hard to argue anyone was more dominant than Mario.

Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

That’s how I feel about Mario to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad