GDT: Flames vs. Islanders - 5:00 PM - Scotiabank Saddledome - SN

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
get ferland off the top line, he has no business being there anymore, 90% of his points come from 2 hot stretch, other time he is no better than brouwer (and everyone craps on brouwer every time hes on the ice)

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Firing like hell from the perimeter with no screens while the other team pretty much let you do it, isn't really called dominating. This team is gonna go nowhere until the D learn to put better shots on net and the FWs learn to screeen and tip. No wonder the opposing goalies "seem" to play lights out against us.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
38-33-4 at home in the last two seasons (.506 win %). If it weren't for that miracle month of March last season, that record would be even worse.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Curse of Bob Hartley. Once you fire him, you will be doomed to lose every time the opposition plays Bob Hartley hockey.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
We lost to the Flyers when they were on a 10 game losing streak and now lost to the Islanders when they're on an 8 game losing streak. We need to win these next 2 games man.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
What's the opposite of opportunistic?

Real glad we picked up Shore and Chris f***ing Stewart to shore up our woeful scoring depth. Treliving has had some good TDLs, this year was not one of them.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Pvr'd the game, but had a buddy essentially ruin it texting me that Smith is shite. I didn't even realize he was playing. Just watched in blazing fast forward mode. Disappointed to be sure. Gaudreau seemed to jam his finger on the 4-2 goal as well.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Firing like hell from the perimeter with no screens while the other team pretty much let you do it, isn't really called dominating. This team is gonna go nowhere until the D learn to put better shots on net and the FWs learn to screeen and tip. No wonder the opposing goalies "seem" to play lights out against us.

The shot-count isn't the reason that the Flames were dominant tonight.

Think back and try to remember the last actual chance that the Islanders had tonight. There weren't many from the start of the second period onwards. While a lot of the Flames' shots weren't quality shots or dangerous, there were probably a half-dozen that were very good opportunities like Bennett's chance, and many dangerous situations that put you a bounce away from a goal. We just repeatedly found ways to not score, which is all-too-common this season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What's the opposite of opportunistic?

Real glad we picked up Shore and Chris ****ing Stewart to shore up our woeful scoring depth. Treliving has had some good TDLs, this year was not one of them.

Spent pretty much nothing, and Shore is under control for next year. Even if there was zero positive, there was zero negative, and if we'd spent legitimate assets, there was a very high chance that they'd have been wasted. So pretty spot on.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
IF YOU SEE THIS IMAGE WHILE SCROLLING A GDT

3ZHYCc6P_400x400.jpg

You have been visited by Irate Hartley

The Rush™ and a team with a backbone will come to you, but only if you post "You know, like, wadda guy" in this thread

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Think back and try to remember the last actual chance that the Islanders had tonight. There weren't many from the start of the second period onwards. While a lot of the Flames' shots weren't quality shots or dangerous, there were probably a half-dozen that were very good opportunities like Bennett's chance, and many dangerous situations that put you a bounce away from a goal. We just repeatedly found ways to not score, which is all-too-common this season.

We cant possibly look good losing all the time.

It's not working...fire GG!!!

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Well, game 7 of the cup final is on Tuesday at least

If they can’t win that one then this game wouldn’t even matter anyways

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Flames dumping another home game because they failed to show up for one or more periods. This never happened with Hartley, that's all I'm gonna say.

It happened all the time.

It's a big reason we finished bottom 5 twice with him as coach.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well, game 7 of the cup final is on Tuesday at least

If they can’t win that one then this game wouldn’t even matter anyways

Not sure why it matters more against a loser that is already out of the playoff

But I doubt the Flames can win....these guys soil their pants everytime they heard McDavid. It's been like that for 2 yrs, pretty sure it is not going to change now.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
It happened all the time.

It's a big reason we finished bottom 5 twice with him as coach.

I disagree. The team had very little talent but the compete level was always high, and then would get turned up even higher in the third. Those teams famously never sat on their laurels. This year and last's teams have looked listless by comparison.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I disagree. The team had very little talent but the compete level was always high, and then would get turned up even higher in the third. Those teams famously never sat on their laurels. This year and last's teams have looked listless by comparison.

I think those teams with rose coloured in terms of effort and comebacks.

A few stick out and have become the norm when in fact those teams a ton to of games off and lost lots of games they couldn't come back in.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We cant possibly look good losing all the time.

It's not working...fire GG!!!

I'm interested in seeing if a new coach could get this roster to generate better quality chances and avoid defensive breakdowns.

I'm also thinking more and more that Gulutzan stays because he's basically done what was asked of him. They wanted to play a style of game where we double the other team's shot attempts and let the hockey gods decide, and that's what we're doing now with the season on the line. If Treliving fires the coach when he's got the team playing this way, it is also an indictment of Treliving's philosophy upon hiring him.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

I might be wrong but it seemed like after NYI scored their 4th goal, they were comfortable protecting the lead and seeing the game out instead of going hard on the forecheck and maintaining offensive zone time. They crowded the front of the net and let us do our thing on the perimeter. The best we could do was get shots from the outside, but the shot/screen execution were not good enough like it hasn't been all season. If they get better screeens and better positioning for rebounds, that gives you more high quality scoring chances than the occasional good chances you get like the Bennett one.

Confidence also seems like a factor here - when we muster 20-30 easy shots on their goalie, he's feeling better and better, and it puts him in a good form to stop those HQ scoring chances. And our team starts to feel the struggle to beat the goalie.

Reactions: lightstorm

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm interested in seeing if a new coach could get this roster to generate better quality chances and avoid defensive breakdowns.

I'm also thinking more and more that Gulutzan stays because he's basically done what was asked of him. They wanted to play a style of game where we double the other team's shot attempts and let the hockey gods decide, and that's what we're doing now with the season on the line. If Treliving fires the coach when he's got the team playing this way, it is also an indictment of Treliving's philosophy upon hiring him.

Luck is for loser...I am tired of people saying we are losing because of bad luck.

GG's "system" is not working, It didnt work in Dallas and it's not working here. Enough is enough.

If BT is satisfied with this then he must be fired also

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

We can't just blame GG, anyway. That stat on missed shots they put up was ridiculous; the Flames have nearly 100 more missed shots than 2nd place in the league; god knows how many more than middle-of-the-pack. Missing shots is execution, which is the players' issue (unless the coaches are somehow coaching all of their shooting ability out of them).

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

I don't necessarily think that's true. Yes, the law of averages says if you're out-chancing the other team night-in and night-out, you should be winning. But if that's true, why aren't the Flames contending for the playoffs? Is the team shot percentage abnormally low? Are we drawing exemplary performances from every goalie we face? Are the shots all from the blueline straight onto the goalie's stick?

There's nothing wrong with the philosophy, it's the execution and the fact that it doesn't seem to happen for long stretches of the season. You can hire someone who runs a similar style without it being an indictment of the coaching philosophy. Gulutzan has the right idea, the problem is that he's an average coach and we need a good one to make the splash that this team has the personnel to do.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Luck is for loser...I am tired of people saying we are losing because of bad luck.

GG's "system" is not working, It didnt work in Dallas and it's not working here. Enough is enough.

If BT is satisfied with this then he must be fired also

You never lose because of bad luck, and to be honest, I don't think anyone on this board every claims this. Tonight, we gave them a lead, and from there Chris Gibson beat us.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Spent pretty much nothing, and Shore is under control for next year. Even if there was zero positive, there was zero negative, and if we'd spent legitimate assets, there was a very high chance that they'd have been wasted. So pretty spot on.

You get what you pay for. We've already spent legitimate assets, and with each passing game with this roster it's looking more and more likely that one of those assets is going to be a pick with a chance to win the draft lottery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->