Chris Butler | Shane O'Brien

8473499.jpg

Reto Berra #29

8471403.jpg

Karri Ramo #31

image.

Phoenix Coyotes

Calgaryflames.com said:
Like Monday’s contest, Hartley plans on using a veteran-heavy roster against Phoenix.

The Flames coach said he wanted to give his regulars a chance to get comfortable heading into the team’s first regular season game against the Washington Capitals on October 3rd.

"I want to give them the opportunity to get a feel for themselves and we're going to Washington on a mission,†he offered. “I keep telling them I don't care where some of [the media] are putting us, we're not going to use this as motivation. We want to prove to ourselves 20 guys who want to go to work together can achieve a lot.

“Right now I'm giving them a taste of what's our team and what needs to be done."

After Karri Ramo was given the start against the Rangers on Monday, Reto Berra will get the call between the pipes in Calgary’s final pre-season contest.

Like he did for Ramo, Joey MacDonald is expected to serve as Berra's back-up.

“It's tough for a goalie because we're dealing with three guys who want to be No. 1," Hartley said. "None of them has ever been a No. 1 in the NHL and they have one or two games to make their mark. That's unfair. That's unfair for them and it's real tough for us, trust me. But at the same time, that's our situation and we'll deal with it."

Berra isn’t putting any extra stress on himself despite the importance of the start.

"I do the same like always when I go into games,†he said. “I have a goal for me and I try to go for that goal and try to show my game and show my best side."

In his only other start, Berra made an impression with 31 saves in a 4-2 loss last week against the Ottawa Senators in Saskatoon, SK.

Playing in half a game against the Edmonton Oilers on September 14th, Berra stopped 13 of 14 shots in regulation as well as both shootout attempts to help Calgary to a 6-5 win.

“There might be one or two guys that might stick with us that will have not have played [Monday] night and will not play tomorrow night because maybe some of those guys, we know what we're going to get from them. Some of the guys, the kids who are playing tomorrow night who played [Monday] night, we want to see them in certain situations to really evaluate them on an individual basis.†- Hartley

jJCjaVH.png

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Epic Gameday Thread, Hudlinator!

This is looking pretty close to an NHL line except for Hudler & Cammy. I want to see the Flames go 5-2-0 this preseason.

Go Flames!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As per Pat Steinberg's twitter:

Looks like Hartley has shuffled his lines a bit from what he was thinking yesterday. #Flames

Projected #Flames lines now: Glencross-Monahan-Stempniak; Backlund-Galiardi-D Jones; Baertschi-Stajan-Street; Bouma-Knight-Jackman

D: Brodie-Giordano; Russell-Wideman; O'Brien-Butler. Berra still gets the start.

Berra gets the start.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Indeed, Backlund on the wing, Knight at center. Monahan on what has been our best line so far.

Monahan on the 1st line...well, they certainly are rewarding the young guys. Good to see. Maybe he will step up and do a great job. Backlund on the wing is odd, as he is once of our best faceoff takers. Looking forward to watching this one.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Monahan on the 1st line...well, they certainly are rewarding the young guys. Good to see. Maybe he will step up and do a great job. Backlund on the wing is odd, as he is once of our best faceoff takers. Looking forward to watching this one.

I think they want to see how the other centers such as Galiardi and Knight do in the game...mostly Monahan though. They already know Backlund is a good faceoff man.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think they want to see how the other centers such as Galiardi and Knight do in the game. They already know Backlund is a good faceoff man...mostly Monahan though.

Pretty much this, Hartley is putting young guys in key situations to see how they respond. It'll be interesting to watch for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad