GDT: Flames vs Canucks, 7:30 MT Dec 29

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
You would think Demko will get the start, but he just came off of the IR Dec.23. Markstrom faced 51 shots last night and could be tired.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
No lineup changes for the Flames.

PROJECTED LINEUP - FLAMES VS. CANUCKS

The Flames held an optional morning skate, so we won't get confirmation of any lineup changes until closer to game time.

"We're going to talk about that in about 10 minutes when the guys get off the ice," said interim head coach Geoff Ward. "So, we'll know later on about that."

In honour of the continuing celebration of the Flames' uh... unique musical tastes.

Reactions: Tofveve

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
nhl.com\flames posts the same line-up as the last game. Says this was an optional skate and the line-up could change by the warm-up. Steinberg and company are posting differently based on the lines at the optional skate. We'll see I guess. The 4 line didn't win a single face-off last game so inserting Jankowski would be a plus. On the other hand we need Bennett's speed and grit. Reider had speed and I like his game, but I wouldn't sit Benny.

Of course, maybe his name has come up during 'trade conversations'. Pure speculation on my part.

Reactions: Tofveve

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I anticipate a win for our boys. Watching this one with my bro on Vancouver Island. He's a turncoat on the team we grew up with, now a Canucks fan. Should be fun. :nod:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Calgary is terrible for not trading players until after the rest of the league is clear on the player having a fraction of their at one time regarded talent/trade value. Attrocious predictive abilities.

In this case Bennett.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Calgary is terrible for not trading players until after the rest of the league is clear on the player having a fraction of their at one time regarded talent/trade value. Attrocious predictive abilities.

In this case Bennett.
Eh, I wouldn't know about that, we did acquire a nice collection of draft picks for Berra, Glencross, Hudler and Russell who all quickly ended up out of the league or worse. We've been nowhere near Edmonton bad in this regard, up there it's been like that paperclip trader guy but in reverse.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Eh, I wouldn't know about that, we did acquire a nice collection of draft picks for Berra, Glencross, Hudler and Russell who all quickly ended up out of the league or worse. We've been nowhere near Edmonton bad in this regard, up there it's been like that paperclip trader guy but in reverse.

I think we could have used both Glencross and Hudler effectively for several more years. Definitely missed Hudler for at least a couple of years afterward.

But I'm thinking more of Brodie, where we should have traded him 3 or 4 years ago when to us we knew he had peaked and was on a decline from the lofty heights people thought he was at. And I know he looks good now, but we could have gotten a shit-ton knowing he had his dependability and cough-up issues. And as far as Bennett, the guy was also thought of as highly for years even though he can never quite even get close to potential (as much as I've liked his scrappiness at times, he does take a lot of bad penalties and doesn't get the points that were expected - an endless leash).

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think we could have used both Glencross and Hudler effectively for several more years. Definitely missed Hudler for at least a couple of years afterward.

But I'm thinking more of Brodie, where we should have traded him 3 or 4 years ago when to us we knew he had peaked and was on a decline from the lofty heights people thought he was at. And I know he looks good now, but we could have gotten a ****-ton knowing he had his dependability and cough-up issues. And as far as Bennett, the guy was also thought of as highly for years even though he can never quite even get close to potential (as much as I've liked his scrappiness at times, he does take a lot of bad penalties and doesn't get the points that were expected - an endless leash).

Brodie is still at worst a #3 for us right night now. His career has been a whirlwind of tragedy in his personal life. He still brings it every game. We would be a much worse team without him. The one that really hurt our D was losing Fox.

Reactions: Janks

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Brodie is still at worst a #3 for us right night now. His career has been a whirlwind of tragedy in his personal life. He still brings it every game. We would be a much worse team without him. The one that really hurt our D was losing Fox.

No. Hanifin playing like shit is what's hurting the team

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Big game for Calgary, LA put on a clinic in Vancouver last night. Some pressure and the Canucks will fold

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hanifin is good against the boards. I think you are confusing him with Hamonic.

Fact.

His problem is unforced turn overs and occasionally pinching too deep and getting caught. While he is a great skater, he doesn't have the acceleration or speed than Ollie does, Ollie never gets beat 'cause he's too quick. As for the unforced turnovers I blame him not having a partner he trusts, so he just throws it blindly up the boards.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Fact.

His problem is unforced turn overs and occasionally pinching too deep and getting caught. While he is a great skater, he doesn't have the acceleration or speed than Ollie does, Ollie never gets beat 'cause he's too quick. As for the unforced turnovers I blame him not having a partner he trusts, so he just throws it blindly up the boards.

Yeah, not sure why they have been glued together. Any word on Valimaki? Should be getting close.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hanifin is good against the boards. I think you are confusing him with Hamonic.

I haven’t seen a “top 4“ dman who makes such terrible decisions with the puck in quite some time. Half the time in a board battle he ends up just losing said battle or passing the puck to the opposing team. Frustrating af for a “shutdown” dman.

Boggles my mind they continue to get big minutes. Hanifin looks lost with him and it’s just bad all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad