GDT: Flames vs. Buffalo 7 PM MT Dec 5: Wake me up before you go go.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Fun fact re: Kylington's kick breakout: Oliver was actually a soccer player growing up and choosing between soccer and hockey when he turned ~14-ish was a major decision for him.
b5f.jpg

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I really enjoyed the game last night and thats not something I can say about most of the Flames games that I've watched this season. One change that I'd like to see is Monahan moved to the RW.

I think good line combinations for the next game would be

Gaudreau (LW) - Backlund (C) - Monahan (RW)
Tkachuk (LW) - Lindholm (C) - Mangiapane(RW)
Lucic (LW) - Ryan (C) - Dube (RW)
Rieder (LW) - Jankowski (C) - Frolik (RW)

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I really enjoyed the game last night and thats not something I can say about most of the Flames games that I've watched this season. One change that I'd like to see is Monahan moved to the RW.

That's some rough center depth, but that line worked last night.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

That's pretty much what they used last night for the most part, Gaudreau switched between the Ryan line and the Backlund line but he played more shifts with Backlund and Monahan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That's some rough center depth, but that line worked last night.

I was at the game last night, and it really worked.

Monahan is the centre when they're on offence, also on the faceoff dot. Backlund is the centre coming back on D, similar to Lindholm.
This might actually be a stroke of genius by Ward.

Lindholm was Monahan and Gaudreau's babysitter; you give them probably the better defensive babysitter in Backlund; while it frees us Lindholm to go play with a player like Tkachuk, which raises their offensive capability.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017

I don't want to speculate too much on the effects of Ward vs Peters on the team, but it was crazy how much more fun that game was to watch than most of the year. You could tell the team was loose and having fun, and they also looked way faster.

Win or lose, if they play like that every night I'll be happy!

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Hey guys wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll just go for it here. I have been monitoring Dube for a while just wanted to get a perspective from the flames side. He looks like a potential top 6 guy and he's been performing well with Lucic, is a promotion too the top 6 or top PP out of the question?

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
I was at the game last night, and it really worked.

Monahan is the centre when they're on offence, also on the faceoff dot. Backlund is the centre coming back on D, similar to Lindholm.
This might actually be a stroke of genius by Ward.

Lindholm was Monahan and Gaudreau's babysitter; you give them probably the better defensive babysitter in Backlund; while it frees us Lindholm to go play with a player like Tkachuk, which raises their offensive capability.

I really liked Ward double shifting Johnny to. I think this is the best way to get him back into his groove.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Kylington had a real high event game, lucky to have Andersson covering for him.
Kylington is lucky to have Kylington covering for Kylington.

I've never seen anyone cover their own mistakes better than Kylington. Like honestly who can stop a breakaway without a stick WITHOUT taking a penalty!? Just love watching him play, even with all the defensive gaffs.

Seems like the guys had fun playing last night. From Reider starting for his 400th game and scoring, Looch hitting the back of the net, and Johnny & Mony scoring, it just feels like this is the game that tells everyone the boys are back. I really like Gelinas on the bench too, I think he keeps things light-hearted. His smile when Looch got to bench after the goal was great.

upload_2019-12-6_14-23-9.png

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hey guys wasn't sure where to ask this so I'll just go for it here. I have been monitoring Dube for a while just wanted to get a perspective from the flames side. He looks like a potential top 6 guy and he's been performing well with Lucic, is a promotion too the top 6 or top PP out of the question?

I think it's safe to say most of us love him and see a future top 6 player there. Just an all around very solid player, not afraid to make plays as a young guy and always has his feet moving. His one deficiency might be size but he looks stronger this year compared to last.

As far as a promotion this year goes it's tough to say, the lines are kind of in limbo but I wouldn't bet on it without an injury or Mangiapane starting to struggle badly. 1st PP time isn't likely either, but he keeps playing like he has been it's possible. He's played mostly W so far but I still want to see him get an opportunity at C.

Reactions: TheNewKid

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Was working so only got to see bits and pieces live, but enjoyed what I did see. Obviously not the greatest last 3 minutes, but there were tons of positives for the other 57. Onward and upward. Curious what the lines will look like when Czarnik/Bennett return.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

By some definitions he's technically in the top 6 right now.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Seems like the guys had fun playing last night. From Reider starting for his 400th game and scoring, Looch hitting the back of the net, and Johnny & Mony scoring, it just feels like this is the game that tells everyone the boys are back. I really like Gelinas on the bench too, I think he keeps things light-hearted. His smile when Looch got to bench after the goal was great.

View attachment 287549

When the players are having fun playing the game and not taking it seriously like a job, it usually leads/means goals are coming, wins are coming, they're playing well. This is one of the first times this year it looks like they're actually enjoying the game and not just grinding it out like a job. Will have to continue our 28 game win streak to get back into the playoff picture, but the West is so ass this year it shouldn't be too difficult.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When the players are having fun playing the game and not taking it seriously like a job, it usually leads/means goals are coming, wins are coming, they're playing well. This is one of the first times this year it looks like they're actually enjoying the game and not just grinding it out like a job. Will have to continue our 28 game win streak to get back into the playoff picture, but the West is so ass this year it shouldn't be too difficult.
After tonight's game against the kings the easy part of the schedule is over. December will be a tough month. Make or break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad