GDT: Flames v Jets

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
When did the Flames start the after-the-whistle goonery?

If you still have the game on your PVR, skip through it and watch what happens when the play is whistled down at the net. I counted 17 times that a Jet was standing at the crease, having never touched the goalie, and after the whistle a Flame hit him in the face or chest. What's with that?

Granted, I haven't seen a Flames' game in a few months, but I remember that they used to show some class. Go back and look at the game again. Add in the grab-the-head-from-behind scrums and you'll be left wondering what happened to such a neat team.

I think you were watching Olympics figure skating, not hockey.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Brodie-Hamonic does not work

It's been half a season and they still are bad together as they were at the start

Change it up because that pairing and Monahan are the weak link on this team and will be the reasons the Flames fail to go deep this year

I'm with you there. At this point I prefer Kulak-Stone they're much better at joining the rush and moving the puck. They also get hemmed in their own zone less.

Today Brodie and Hamonic along with the first line killed us.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Did anyone expect us to be sharp off the bye week? It came at the worst time for us.

I agree 100%. Sure we had won 7 in a row but this team is fragile and streaky as f*** and December was a dumpster fire. I f***ing shuddered at this bye week happening when it did.

The question is going to be how do we respond and pull it together instead of going into another slump. It seems boom or bust with this group and like you say, this bye week came at the shittiest possible time just when we were starting to roll and feel good about ourselves.

I don't want to make too much out of one game but I think we're all aware of our propensity and scoring 1 goal in regulation makes a person's butt pucker in thinking what this season has been like.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t care that we didn’t win 10 in a row, and think we’re better for it. At the end of the streak last year the Flames were getting lucky and they were hearing how great they are. This will keep them more grounded and more hungry this way. I actually quite like how we’re sitting.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I don’t care that we didn’t win 10 in a row, and think we’re better for it. At the end of the streak last year the Flames were getting lucky and they were hearing how great they are. This will keep them more grounded and more hungry this way. I actually quite like how we’re sitting.

Some of the players were also saying last year that towards the end of the run it was really starting to wear down on them cause all they could think about was keeping the streak going and when they finally lost, it was a bit of a relief.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Glad you guys got the point last night you guys play Buffalo next time for another streak

It's some what dangerous for this lazy group.....They have trouble getting up for games....important divisional games, easy games, hard games..etc....We'll see if that has changed

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Hard to be upset with 1 point coming out of the bye against one of the league's best teams. Thought both teams were rather sloppy in this one, the 3 on 3 action was brutal from both sides. That said, Once Frolik is back, I wouldn't mind giving Brouwer a look on the 3rd line. One thing he actually excels at is getting his large frame in front and shooting in tight to the goalie. I feel janko and Bennett can hold that line and do the dirty work, while Brouwer cleans up in front. Hathaway can go to lesser minutes and get his game back to a typical grinder role, where he excels.

Bennett-Janko-Brouwer
Mangiapane-Stajan-Hathaway
Lazar...I just don't think he's been better then any of the 4th line. Stajan has been solid lately.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Hard to be upset with 1 point coming out of the bye against one of the league's best teams. Thought both teams were rather sloppy in this one, the 3 on 3 action was brutal from both sides. That said, Once Frolik is back, I wouldn't mind giving Brouwer a look on the 3rd line. One thing he actually excels at is getting his large frame in front and shooting in tight to the goalie. I feel janko and Bennett can hold that line and do the dirty work, while Brouwer cleans up in front. Hathaway can go to lesser minutes and get his game back to a typical grinder role, where he excels.

Bennett-Janko-Brouwer
Lazar...I just don't think he's been better then any of the 4th line. Stajan has been solid lately.

We've tried Brouwer on that line more times than I can count. He just looks better right now because he's profiting from Tkachuk and Backlund knowing how to play hockey.

I might be interested though in playing Frolik on the third line and keeping Brouwer on the second.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Bennett-Janko-Brouwer

Hell no. Brouwer has been given plenty of opportunities to play with Bennett and all he does is drag him down. Hathaway has been fitting in great on that line

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
We've tried Brouwer on that line more times than I can count. He just looks better right now because he's profiting from Tkachuk and Backlund knowing how to play hockey.

I might be interested though in playing Frolik on the third line and keeping Brouwer on the second.

I'd like to give it another look again. The thought of just keeping Brouwer on the 2nd line is very meh, they other two need Frolik. Both Bennett and Janko are continually improving and I think they could get pucks to the net and Brouwer could cause some havoc. Hathaway needs less playing time to be more effective.

This team really could use a top 9 RW upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad