Flames undefeated under new management

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Calgary (CP): It has been a week since the return of Matthew Kershaw as the General Manager of the Calgary Flames, a week that sees the team undefeated through its first five games of Kershaw's second term as the GM of the Flames. Kershaw was the original GM of the Flames at the inauguration of the league several years ago.

Calgary defeated Carolina, New Jersey, Los Angeles and Minnisota. The only blemish during the week was the road tie in Phoenix.

Kershaw has been inundated with trade offers, most of which start out with the question "how about Ilya Kovulchuk for .....", followed by "how about Datsyuk for ...."

Kershaw has initiated that changes are in order if the team wants to seriously challenge for the cup not only this season, but in the future. With several big name players heading for free agency, look for the GM to move high priced talent such as Sandy McCarthy and Jeff Hackett in order to make room for some major salary jumps for the young players on the roster.

Kershaw has also said that he will search out some short term defensive help for this season, and turn the defence over to several promising rookies in the next campaign.

Despite all the protests of change, this team has a solid foundation and we don't expect any major shake-ups.

"I have been lucky enough to return to my roots. Robb Doduck in Pittsburgh convinced me to return to professional hockey after several years of retirement and helped to persuade the owners here in Calgary that I was the right man for the job. I can't thank him enough for that, and I must now repay the debt by continuing to have Calgary defeat the Penguins at every turn."

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Now this only leaves the Senators...

Matt, Any ideas on when the decision will be made on the new GM??

Where were my manners?? Congrats on getting the job, Matt. May you bring the Stony Field (Stanley) Cup to deprive people of Alberta.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad