Flames Tyler Parsons opens up about his mental health struggles

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Glenn Isildur Healy, Sep 22, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Glenn Isildur Healy

Glenn Isildur Healy Registered User

Happy to see another player open up about their struggles as it's never easy to share

Flames prospect Tyler Parsons opens up about his mental...

2. Paris in Flames

Paris in Flames Registered User

Great to hear that he's in a better place now and nice to see how well the Flames handled it. Seems like he got a lot of support from not only his family but the team.

I'm glad he feels comfortable talking about it. If only one person suffering in silence is encouraged to talk/get help just by reading this article then he's already done so much.

snipes likes this.
  3. HugginThePost

HugginThePost Registered User Sponsor

Engineer
    As has been discussed in several threads on HF, I'm always amazed at the amount of goalies that have metal health issues.

Actually, no, that's not true, I'm not surprised about it but more so comforted. It's a feeling of "I'm not alone".

As a goalie with a lot of mental issues, OCD, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, etc.....I always wonder if it's because most hockey players perceive goalies to be nuts that it's easier for us to "come out"? You don't hear very often a skater coming out with mental issues, it's always the goalie.

And good for them......it needs to be brought to light. If these sort of articles were available to me in the 80's when I was growing up and having all these thoughts, my life may have been vastly different.

Afterburner likes this.
  4. Deuce Awesome

Deuce Awesome Registered User

That was a great read, I love hearing about kids make it to the big leagues who came up the hard way. Best of luck to this guy hope he makes it to the Flames full time!

5. Mugzy97

Mugzy97 #StandWitness

Good for him to seek help

6. End on a Hinote

End on a Hinote Registered Abuser

Rohin Lehner came out recently about his mental issues as well.

I'm curious if all these players suffering from this is a result of more and more people becoming affected by mental health issues or if more people are just coming out about it.

7. Stand Witness

Stand Witness JT

I read parts of this the other, day and I'd echo similar comments to what I said in the Lehner thread (how impactful this is).

I also unfortunately wonder how long of a leash he will be given as a prospect versus an established player, especially as a goalie. If anything ever happens, I would welcome him with open arms to my teams organization to help work with him. With that being said, props to have the Flames have handled it thus far, or at least to my understanding.

8. Torgo

Torgo Registered User

It's the latter imo. There has been a stigma around it for so long that no one dealing with the issues (if they even knew what they were dealing with, because it's talked about so little) wanted to speak up as they feared the consequences of doing so.

9. Walk with Elias

Walk with Elias Who wants to walk with Elias? Sponsor

It's very clearly the latter. As someone with mental health issues myself, I can speak for the stigma surrounding it. I've lost friends, relationships, jobs and been alienated by my peers for my mental health issues, to the he point where I was not only afraid to seek help, but afraid for confide in anyone.

10. Walk with Elias

Walk with Elias Who wants to walk with Elias? Sponsor

The Flames actually hired Brian McGrattan a little over a year ago in a "player development role" to work with players that have mental health and addiction issues.

Stand Witness likes this.
  11. Paris in Flames

Paris in Flames Registered User

I know it's been said but it's definitely that people are just more open to talking about the now.

There was a stigma, especially with men, that talking about it made you weak or whatever so...God knows how many people kept it bottled up. There's been a lot of positive movement (through initiatives like Bell Let's Talk and even stuff like this where "famous" people come forward) that have kinda...finally broken down the idea that you're weak or whatever if you talk about it. More and more people are realizing that it's okay to not be okay so we're going to hear more stories like this and that's definitely a good thing.