Flames Top 20 Prospects - Summer 2019

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames graduated Andrej Svechnikov, Dominik Simon, and Juuso Riikola. The pool takes a hit with so many continued graduations - they have full-time NHL players already from every one of their last five drafts - and didn't have any top draft picks this past entry draft.

Since making this list a few months ago, Poehling debuted after leaving college early, and Luukkonen, Alexeyev, Tarasov, Hagel, Maltsev, McGrew, and Bednard have all signed ELC's.

1. (2) Ryan Poehling – C – Montreal Canadiens – Drafted 20th overall, 2017

A great season for Poehling culminated in three goals in his first NHL game and the game-winning goal in the shootout as well. Was also the MVP of the World Juniors.

2. (3) Alexander Alexeyev – D – Red Deer Rebels – Drafted 34th overall, 2018

Injuries hampered the second half of his season but this is a player whose stock is on the rise.

3. (4) Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen – G – Sudbury Wolves – Drafted 51st overall, 2017

A fantastic coming out party of a season for Luukkonen – unfortunately, hip surgery may delay his start to 2019/20.

4. (7) Daniil Tarasov – G – Ässät – Drafted 150th overall, 2017

After a great season in Russian juniors, Tarasov was signed by the Blue Jackets and will be loaned Ässät in Finland for next season. This is the first time the Flames have had two bonafide potential NHL starters on their prospects lists.

5. (5) Aarne Talvitie – F – Penn State – Drafted 198th overall, 2017

Hopefully, he will be recovered from his knee surgery in time for the season start. With some graduations, he’ll take on a bigger role at Penn State this season.

6. (NEW) – Dillon Hamaliuk – F – Kelowna – Drafted 97thoverall, 2019

Another player who is just returning from knee surgery. Has been cleared to participate in the Sharks development camp, which is great news.

7. (9) Brandon Hagel - F - Chicago Blackhawks - Drafted 90th Overall, 2016

Super excited to see what Hagel can do in his first pro season after scoring 102 points in the WHL last year.

8. (10) Mikhail Maltsev – C – New Jersey Devils – Drafted 77th overall, 2016

Surprising many, Maltsev has signed with the Devils and will make the jump to the AHL next season.

9. (11) Jake McGrew – F – Spokane Chiefs – Drafted 197th overall, 2017

McGrew has the option to return as an overager to the WHL, which he may do as he previously missed an entire season. If so, he’s a candidate to score 100 points.

10. (NEW) Tuukka Tieksola – F - Kärpät– Drafted 109thoverall, 2019

Super excited to see if Tieksola can step up to the Liiga and make the Finnish WJC team.

11. (14) Nikita Pavlychev - F - Penn State - Drafted 98th Overall, 2015

Pavlychev will return for his senior season – can he continue his improvement and compete for the Hobey Baker?

12. (8) AJ Greer – F – Colorado Eagles - Drafted 79th overall, 2015

Greer needs to take the step (by improving his step.) It looks like he will be a bottom 6 forward.

13. (12) Danila Zhuravlyov – D – Irbis Kazan – Drafted 147th overall, 2018

Zhuravlyov still hasn’t signed with a team in the KHL or with Colorado, so his future is uncertain. Spent the majority of last season playing against men in the Russian 2nd tier.

14. (15) Ryan Bednard - G – Florida Panthers - Drafted 189th Overall, 2015

Bednard had a wonderful season in the NCAA's and earned himself an ELC with the Florida Panthers. His first pro season will see him compete for the backup job in the AHL, or starting job in the East Coast league.

15. (13) Cameron Hughes – F – Providence Bruins – Drafted 159th overall, 2015

Hughes had a good first pro season. Showed a scoring touch and will try to elevate his game and get a shot at the NHL.

16. (16) Connor Bunnaman - F - Lehigh Valley Phantoms - Drafted 83rd overall, 2016

Bunnaman had a decent showing as a first-year pro. Needs to improve his feet if he’s going to progress to the next level.

17. (19) Callum Booth – G – Florida Everblades – Acquired in trade for Zack Kassian

Booth continues to show well in the East Coast league but it’s time for the Carolina prospect to take it to the next level.

18. (20) Nick Wolff – D – University of Minnesota-Duluth – Drafted 186th overall, 2014

A player the Flames still hold out hope for as a potential bottom pairing guy. He’s improved his feet and hands and will return for his senior season in the NCAA.

19. (Returnee) –Brandon Biro - F – Penn State – Drafted 177thoverall, 2016

A player that I think will be in demand as a free agent at the end of this season, he’ll return to Penn State for his senior season. Scored 40 points in 36 games on the 2nd line last year.

20. (NEW) Ben Brinkman – D – University of Minnesota – Drafted 110th overall, 2019

I’m a big believer that his skill was hidden by his transition to playing against men as a 17-year-old true freshman. Should blossom this season.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
We often like the same players, so I see names sprinkled throughout your list that I'd be happy to have in my stable instead.

But the keys here are obviously the big two - Poehling and A2. Poehling has the benefit of being able to play on lower lines and work his way up, although it will be interesting to see whether Montreal plays him at centre throughout or he starts on the wing. Less clear when Alexeyev will be given a chance in Washington, but I know you see the Ekholm comparison and assume, like Hamhuis, that you'll deal a washed up Ekholm back to me once Alexeyev takes his place on your roster. Full circle.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
But the keys here are obviously the big two - Poehling and A2. Poehling has the benefit of being able to play on lower lines and work his way up, although it will be interesting to see whether Montreal plays him at centre throughout or he starts on the wing. Less clear when Alexeyev will be given a chance in Washington, but I know you see the Ekholm comparison and assume, like Hamhuis, that you'll deal a washed up Ekholm back to me once Alexeyev takes his place on your roster. Full circle.

Thank you.

I hope Montreal play Poehling at centre. He wasn't nearly as dynamic the one time I've seen him on the wing (WJC) and it's no coincidence that he stopped scoring in that tourney when Hughes came back from injury and he went back to wing.

Now, suddenly, there is some depth at C in Montreal. The competition is good and if that means he goes to the AHL for a while to develop then so be it. Would love for him to pan out - he'll forever be compared to Thomas for me, as those were the two I was choosing between at that pick - and it hurts to see Thomas do so well.

A2, well, no. I have a phobia about circles ;)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Thank you.

I hope Montreal play Poehling at centre. He wasn't nearly as dynamic the one time I've seen him on the wing (WJC) and it's no coincidence that he stopped scoring in that tourney when Hughes came back from injury and he went back to wing.

Now, suddenly, there is some depth at C in Montreal. The competition is good and if that means he goes to the AHL for a while to develop then so be it. Would love for him to pan out - he'll forever be compared to Thomas for me, as those were the two I was choosing between at that pick - and it hurts to see Thomas do so well.

Centres who aren't great playmakers are tricky. Watched it for years in Ottawa with Mike Fisher and Antoine Vermette.

Josh Norris is similar - he played centre on that line with Poehling because he's elite on face-offs, but neither of them are great distributors. But absolutely you have to hope Poehling develops as a centre. Jamie Benn wasn't a true playmaker, or even a natural centre, but he's worked out.

How's that for a dream outcome for you, Kershaw?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Centres who aren't great playmakers are tricky. Watched it for years in Ottawa with Mike Fisher and Antoine Vermette.

Josh Norris is similar - he played centre on that line with Poehling because he's elite on face-offs, but neither of them are great distributors. But absolutely you have to hope Poehling develops as a centre. Jamie Benn wasn't a true playmaker, or even a natural centre, but he's worked out.

How's that for a dream outcome for you, Kershaw?

So dreamy I could kiss Keith.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North

My game of second-guessing continues between Alexeyev and Woo - hopefully they both pan out...

If suzuki makes the Habs to start the year, it looks like he’s more likely to be on the wing, at least for now, which means Poehling has a somewhat better chance of sticking in a 4th line role, where he’s a better fit that suzuki would have been. Hopefully they both get a good shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad