News: Flames (still) in a cap crunch post Lucic trade

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I mean it’s unlikely Quine, gillies, or kylington are on the current starting roster (unless stone is bought out). That puts them up to 12.2 million. Definitely going to need to clear out some more space, but it isn’t the end of the world.

Reactions: viper0220

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
You must have 2 arbitration cases to be eligible for the second buy out window.

Do they have 2 arbitration’s?

My objective look at their situation says to me they coukd be in trouble this year depending on Tkachuk. Does he do a one yr contract or something long term?

Next year thry appear to have more cap solace.
Two team selected arbitrations 1 if its filed by the player.

And looking at the arbitration thread they had / have 4 guys this year so it doesnt matter either way itll open after either Bennett or rittich sign

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
One move fixes this entire issue. A Brodie or Frolik trade gives the Flames enough cap space to sign all remaining RFAs.

Dude wasted a lot of time writing an article that doesn’t make sense. Lucic actually saved the Flames cap space.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
The two players rumoured to be on the trade block (Frolik and Brodie) are both actual good hockey players on expiring contracts with OK cap hits. There should be genuine hockey trades to be made around them, as opposed to Marleau-style cap dumps. Stone buyout could work too, but the ownership might be sick of bailing Treliving out of yet another contract cock-up.

We'll be wiser after Bennett's and Rittich's arbitration hearings (in a couple of weeks I think?).

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Pssssh...Alberta has the lowest taxes in Canada. They will sign everyone easily. Taxes are the most important factor in NHL contract negotiations. I've learned this from HFBoards.

Reactions: HugginThePost

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
12M - ~8M (Matthew Tkachuk) - 2M (Rittich) - 3M (Bennett) = -1M

That doesn't include the other signings. I think that are reasonable guess for contracts.

They need to dump salary still.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
The real question is would it be smart to trade one of Kylington or Valinaki now for draft exempt future. You got Giordano and Hanifin on the Left side, Giordano is aging but also as a NTC. Thats not even counting the right side and the fact that they are in win mode. I know it sucks but they will either lose one of them for free or have to trade one!

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Flames are in a cap crunch of the sorts but not at the same degree of some other teams that need to bleed assets. Most likely cap casualties are Brodie or Frolik. Bennett is a valuable member of the team that isn't the kind of guy you throw away because of money. Hamonic could also be lost but I think that's less likely. And then there could still be a Stone buyout or him being traded with a pick to get the entire 3mil off the books. Definitely manageable, with the Lucic deal giving us some room while getting a player that fits our systems better.
frolik and stone are the two most likely. not sure thachuk wiill sign less tham $8m.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The real question is would it be smart to trade one of Kylington or Valinaki now for draft exempt future. You got Giordano and Hanifin on the Left side, Giordano is aging but also as a NTC. Thats not even counting the right side and the fact that they are in win mode. I know it sucks but they will either lose one of them for free or have to trade one!
Any trade of our d-men most likely comes down to Kylington, Brodie, Hamonic, or Stone. I'd rather hold onto the cheap assets of Kylington and Valimaki as opposed to throwing them away while they're cheap and not as valuable as they can be. Especially with the ceiling Valimaki has. I'd rather look to trade another d-man, work with how cheap the two rookies will be, and then take stock of the situation at the expansion draft.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Its almost as if the cap is artificially low, and plenty of teams can clearly afford to spend more than they say they can.
Isn't the "issue" in the escrow?

Higher caplimit -> higher escrow -> less money for the players -> NHLPA opposes -> low cap increase as a compromise.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Its almost as if the cap is artificially low, and plenty of teams can clearly afford to spend more than they say they can.

Actually the cap is still artificially high. That's why there's still escrow to be kicked in by the players. Sure some teams could afford more but there's still a hard cap preventing MTL/TML/NYR(not Calgary) from unbalancing the league.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
if some teams with cap room determine frolik is worth a shot on his expiring deal then problem solved for cal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad