News: Flames (still) in a cap crunch post Lucic trade

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
CapFriendly shows $10M cap space... but... Gillies is there, so make that $10.75M. Then all they need to do is sign: Tkachuk, Rittich, Bennett, Mangiapane and drop 1 listed skater and they have a full roster.

Mangiapane is probably at the point where he should get a 1-way deal to prove himself as a permanent NHLer, so that's $700k or $750k and they are back to $10M.

Buy out Stone in the post-aribtration window and that's $2.3M saved and the roster spot cleared so they are at $12.3M to sign Tkachuk, Rittich, and Bennett (with a full roster).

Rittich should get what, somewhere in the $2.5-$4M range? Bennett $2.5-$3M? Tkachcuk $7-9M? Best case with all of them taking team-friendly short-term deals they'd actually sneak in under $12.3M. But you can't have that much good fortune. Worst case $16M and they need to clear around $4M. No surprise they've been trying to move Frolik. He shouldn't be anywhere near as hard to move as Neal was.

So... buy out Stone and worst case give Frolik away for practically nothing. It's a "crunch" of sorts, but certainly not one that requires any desperate measures to solve. :dunno:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think stone might be eligible for a post arbitration buyout if the flames have not used their allotment up. not sure if that is a realistic idea though.

it looks like they will save $1.5m when they waive two guys to get to a 23 man roster. max they can theoretically save is $2m if they waive guys making over $1m but they have to waive gillies i think so they will not get there. anyway, i think they will have between $11.5 and $12m to sign 4 rfas

depending on what tkachuk and bennett get they will likely need to trade a roster player for a pick or a buriable contract.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I am not commenting on the arena thing as I am not familiar but as for the cap, people would be complaining even more if they dont spend the cap.
I don't mind a team spending to the cap if the contracts are consistent with an intelligent, responsible and comprehensive plan. In what hockey world is acquiring the Lucic contract intelligent or responsible? No, it tells me the Flames are a long way from being able to run their business in a healthy, effective way and they certainly aren't in a place where they can work with others in building anything meaningful.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So people are just commenting without reading the post? No wonder they are confused, they deserve to be arguing against a brick wall.

It's important to have proper headlines. So many misleading headlines these days intend to mislead people.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't mind a team spending to the cap if the contracts are consistent with an intelligent, responsible and comprehensive plan. In what hockey world is acquiring the Lucic contract intelligent or responsible? No, it tells me the Flames are a long way from being able to run their business in a healthy, effective way and they certainly aren't in a place where they can work with others in building anything meaningful.

Lucic's contract is terrible but they were in a toxic situation with Neal. Little could they have done.
You can complain about the Neal signings though. BT definitely made mistakes with his FA signings.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Lucic's contract is terrible but they were in a toxic situation with Neal. Little could they have done.
You can complain about the Neal signings though. BT definitely made mistakes with his FA signings.
The Neal signing was a mistake too but I think the Lucic acquisition will stand out as the one that threw the team over the side.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The Neal signing was a mistake too but I think the Lucic acquisition will stand out as the one that threw the team over the side.

I don't think that is the case, if Lucic waives his NMC, than I think we will be alright.

The biggest contract that will be coming up is Johnny and that is in three years. By that time GIORDANO'S contract will be up that is $6.75 million in cap space, plus Johnny's $6.75 million for a total of $13.5 million cap space plus the cap going up with the US tv deal(I am not saying that Johnny will eat up all that space, just saying that we have cap space.) And when MONAHAN hits UFA, Lucic's contract will be up(we will $5.5 million in cap from Lucic and $6.3 from Monahan for about $11.3 million cap, not saying that Monahan will use all that cap space just saying we will have it.)

As for the D, that has to be sorted out now(this offseason), I think Brodie and/or Hamonic will be gone. We have Anderson, VÄLIMÄKI and KYLINGTON ready to go, they may think it is a bad idea to put in three rookies, so they may just deal one of Brodie or Hamonic because of rookies and injuries will happen. I hope they keep Hamonic because he is a better fit for this team.

As for Stone and Frolik, I think Stone will be kept because depending on rookies may not be a smart idea and injuries will happen, so keeping Stone for one year is not a bad but if a offer comes along and than he is going to pack his shit and will be on the way out. As for Frolik, same thing, good depth player but if a trade comes, he will pack his shit and be on the way out.

We need help up front, we need a top 6 forward(Kadri would have been good but he exercised his God given right, I want a center but a winger would be good as well because wingers are easier to acquire, Ehlers anyone?), I think that is where Brodie or Hamonic or Stone or Frolik or Janko or picks will be used for.

Cap wise we won't have problems but we need to win in the f***ing playoffs.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

It's very unlikely that the owners would allow them to buy out Neal, if that is the case, I do not understand how they are worse off cap wise or money wise after the deal. The problem started with the signing of Neal. They were stuck with him unless they trade for another bad contract.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Well, that's why its important to actually read the posts and articles. It's on individuals to educate themselves.

Agreed but I prefer proper advertisement. If someone try to sell a Rolex, I hope it's a Rolex not depending on me finding out if it is or not. Thats fraud no matter how you spin it.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Flames are in a cap crunch of the sorts but not at the same degree of some other teams that need to bleed assets. Most likely cap casualties are Brodie or Frolik. Bennett is a valuable member of the team that isn't the kind of guy you throw away because of money. Hamonic could also be lost but I think that's less likely. And then there could still be a Stone buyout or him being traded with a pick to get the entire 3mil off the books. Definitely manageable, with the Lucic deal giving us some room while getting a player that fits our systems better.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Agreed but I prefer proper advertisement. If someone try to sell a Rolex, I hope it's a Rolex not depending on me finding out if it is or not. Thats fraud no matter how you spin it.
its not the same though, its not an advertisement.

I agree 100% I wish headlines/articles, journalists and topics would be 100% arcuate to the content.

but there no obligation for someone on a forum, or someone writing a headline to do so.

Journalists are told to find an angle in a story and present that. not the truth.

a Forum Poster is just a dude or dudette at home or the office trying to rile up other posters.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What did the original say? The OP, which seems to be unedited, matches the title of the article.

OP is fine. The original title didnt have "still" implying that the Lucic trade put them in cap crunch.

Just misleading click bait thing. It may not be intentional though.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
its not the same though, its not an advertisement.

I agree 100% I wish headlines/articles, journalists and topics would be 100% arcuate to the content.

but there no obligation for someone on a forum, or someone writing a headline to do so.

Journalists are told to find an angle in a story and present that. not the truth.

a Forum Poster is just a dude or dudette at home or the office trying to rile up other posters.

That's fine but dont people have right to cry misleading?

It may not be intentional in this case but if it's a real journalist, I would say it's very dishonest.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Hamonic to Winnipeg could help some of the Flames cap issues.
Depending on the return that is.
What are Calgary’s needs?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Regular buyout window yes, arbitration buyout window no.

You must have 2 arbitration cases to be eligible for the second buy out window.

Do they have 2 arbitration’s?

My objective look at their situation says to me they coukd be in trouble this year depending on Tkachuk. Does he do a one yr contract or something long term?

Next year thry appear to have more cap solace.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
That's fine but dont people have right to cry misleading?

It may not be intentional in this case but if it's a real journalist, I would say it's very dishonest.
there's a great article on CNN right now that claims parents not paying their lunch debts for their children will lead to children being placed in foster care. However when you read the article it states that the letter sent to the parents said children not being given proper care (notes that parents are sending kids to school with no money or food) will lead children being placed in foster care. The headline leads you to believe that a school is saying pay your lunch debt or we will send your kids to foster care. which is a completely misleading headline compared to actually reading the article. they want clicks and discussion, no one cares about presenting the truth. the truth is in the article, but no one reads those, they just surf headline.

Pennsylvania school district tells parents to pay their lunch debt, or their kids will go into foster care - CNN

Again, you will never look a fool if you take upon yourself to educate, not rely on others to tell you the truth (not you in particular)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
there's a great article on CNN right now that claims parents not paying their lunch debts for their children will lead to children being placed in foster care. However when you read the article it states that the letter sent to the parents said children not being given proper care (notes that parents are sending kids to school with no money or food) will lead children being placed in foster care. The headline leads you to believe that a school is saying pay your lunch debt or we will send your kids to foster care. which is a completely misleading headline compared to actually reading the article. they want clicks and discussion, no one cares about presenting the truth. the truth is in the article, but no one reads those, they just surf headline.

Pennsylvania school district tells parents to pay their lunch debt, or their kids will go into foster care - CNN

Again, you will never look a fool if you take upon yourself to educate, not rely on others to tell you the truth (not you in particular)

I totally agreed with you. Only difference is you accept it but I like to call them out. I guess I am wasting my time....

Reactions: Declassified

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
It's important to have proper headlines. So many misleading headlines these days intend to mislead people.
The headline makes perfect sense. Flames still have cap issues AFTER the trade. If it said BECAUSE of the trade, fine, it'c click bait. But the headline simply states fact as fact

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I totally agreed with you. Only difference is you accept it but I like to call them out. I guess I am wasting my time....
This is a public, mostly fantasy, hockey forum, not world news coverage.
Click on the link, if you don’t like it, leave!
It’s not rocket science.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
This is a public, mostly fantasy, hockey forum, not world news coverage.
Click on the link, if you don’t like it, leave!
It’s not rocket science.

It works both ways. If you dont like my posts dont read it.
It's not rocket science

Reactions: super6646

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad