News: Flames (still) in a cap crunch post Lucic trade

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
They have 10m in capspace with 11f, 8d and 2 goalies signed. Its not an issue, send a couple players down and they will be fine. People really need to look at how many players teams have on their NHL roster and not only the total cap hit.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
They have 10m in capspace with 11f, 8d and 2 goalies signed. Its not an issue, send a couple players down and they will be fine. People really need to look at how many players teams have on their NHL roster and not only the total cap hit.
So are they not signing their key players? Is Tkachuk going to sign for $5M? They still have to make some moves. Their situation isn't dire, but I don't think they get there by sending a couple players down....especially if Tkachuk gets something similar or higher than Aho.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's an issue when one of those forwards is looking to taken 7.5 of that 10 million.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

They can’t sign all their RFA’s without additional moves. That’s an issue. It’s not a huge issue as they don’t need to clear a ton of space, but there are definitely guys currently on the roster that won’t be in October.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They're piling up all of these contracts and yet have the stones to come to the overtaxed residents of Calgary and demand money for their new arena. They brought all of this on themselves and I'm not shedding any tears over this predicament.

I am not commenting on the arena thing as I am not familiar but as for the cap, people would be complaining even more if they dont spend the cap.

Their problem is they spent it on Neal, Stone, Brouwer...etc...but that's more of a hockey problem.

Also, it's the cost to have a good team and despite what jealous Oilers fans say, they do have a decent team, Lucic is not their main guy ;)

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
No one's mentioned Tkachuk getting offersheeted except for you...
Sorry....usually the minute someone mentions "cap crunch"...the poaching of said team's great young players becomes the thought. And not surprisingly, there is a Tkachuk offersheet thread.

Edit: i meant further down the trades/proposals page. I missed it earlier.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Unsure why people say they arent in a cap crunch.

When people in threads say "oh they are fine, they just have to trade this guy and that guy and send these guys down and then will be able to hopefully afford the RFA signings" is a definate sign of cap issues.

Its not that easy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lol, they are a Stone buyout and a couple AHL demotions away away from having I believe near 14M in cap space.

The only crunch these guys are in, are the crunch of guys who open capfriendly and scroll to the bottom.

Reactions: viper0220

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
I think Bennett might be the only casualty depending on Mathews asking price. Even then Bennet is not worth more than 3 million per year so you can easily get Mathew in the 6-7 million range.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
So are they not signing their key players? Is Tkachuk going to sign for $5M? They still have to make some moves. Their situation isn't dire, but I don't think they get there by sending a couple players down....especially if Tkachuk gets something similar or higher than Aho.

There is still two months left, they will make more moves.

Reactions: Rockmorton

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Unsure why people say they arent in a cap crunch.

When people in threads say "oh they are fine, they just have to trade this guy and that guy and send these guys down and then will be able to hopefully afford the RFA signings" is a definate sign of cap issues.

Its not that easy

They do have some issues like bunch of other teams but it's not like it's not fixable and they have to lose their good players because of it.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Stone buyout seems like the best solution right now, he’s their 4th best RHD making over 3M for 1 year.

Then go with a tight roster for the deadline.

Should result in enough space to sign their guys.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
They saved .5 mil with lucic so a weird premise.

Stone and one of Brodie or frolik need to go. That hasn't changed

Reactions: NNCbama

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Stone buyout seems like the best solution right now, he’s their 4th best RHD making over 3M for 1 year.

Then go with a tight roster for the deadline.

Should result in enough space to sign their guys.
Isnt buyout window closed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->