Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Mathias Emilio Pettersen to a 3 year ELC

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Good signing; indications were he was headed back to college and the closer a guy gets to NCAA free agent status the more worrisome it gets.

I think there’s potential to be a 40 point player in NHL.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
200.gif

I like this player. Very smart, great hands, uses his teammates really well. Happy to see his hard work rewarded.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
From these observations on Dobberprospects. I was also looking at CapFriendly where he is listed as a centre. I'm not sure if he played that position in Denver, but if he did I hope the Flames and the Heat develop him as a C.

Feb 2020 – The point total climbed to just under a PPG (31 in 32) after a 5 point outburst in two games over the weekend. The speed of Pettersen’s stick and deceptive passing is lethal this season. – Joel Henderson

Dec 2020 – Pettersen is one of the Calgary Flames top prospects. He has high-level playmaking and hand speed which leads to consistent creation of high danger chances. He does all of this usually under pressure or at top speed. The top PP in Denver runs through him and Flames should be excited at his level of skill and speed. You can find him on the right half-wall on the PP feeding pucks across to Bobby Brink (Flyers second rounder) for the time being. – Joel Henderson

Feb 2019 – Pettersen continues to put together a fantastic rookie debut in the NCAA. His quick acceleration continues to make him noticeable when he’s closing forecheck gaps or attempting zone entires on the PP. Currently he is second in team scoring behind linemate Liam Finley. With Denver’s PP struggling mightily lately, its a wonder why Pettersen is still on the second unit. He is one of the fastest rising prospects from the 2018 NHL draft. – Joel Henderson

Nov 2018 – The Norwegian prospect who has been scouted for nearly a decade was selected by the Calgary Flames in the 2018 NHL draft. Two years ago, Pettersen finished an underwhelming season with Omaha in the USHL and brought his skills to Muskegon for his draft eligible year in 2017-18. Scouting services were all over the map on him but the common trend was that people were beginning to sour on the once thought of top-end-skills prospect. Calgary took a chance on the smaller, stick-handling wizard in the sixth round and he’s started the 2018-19 year for Denver on a tear. Teams who may have looked away from him are noticing him now.

He has always possessed a high level skill set but has shown issues with his consistency. Beyond that, there are plenty of things to be excited about. He shows deceptive speed, especially in quick acceleration and change of pace while the puck is on his stick. While being small, he can battle it out along the boards with anyone and shows a desire to pursue the puck on the forecheck. If he is to continue to succeed it’ll be from his edgework and shiftiness. – Joel Henderson

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Hello Calgary. As a Norwegian I have high Hope's for his future. Love that his signed with a Canadian franchise. I assume he could use a couple of years in The AHL, but could he, according to CBA, in theory play for The Flames the reminder of 19-20 season?

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Hello Calgary. As a Norwegian I have high Hope's for his future. Love that his signed with a Canadian franchise. I assume he could use a couple of years in The AHL, but could he, according to CBA, in theory play for The Flames the reminder of 19-20 season?

I don't think so. His contract doesn't start until the 2020/21 season.

Reactions: fredrikstad

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
We will be able to answer that more aptly after we see him play pro next season.
How will the schedule for AHL and EHCL look like for 20/21? Would they synchronize their seasons with The NHL, or will they follow the usual schedule with season opening in October? Are Stockton Heat a strong club and a good place to develop in?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
How will the schedule for AHL and EHCL look like for 20/21? Would they synchronize their seasons with The NHL, or will they follow the usual schedule with season opening in October? Are Stockton Heat a strong club and a good place to develop in?
Your first question: I'm not too sure. Technically they are their own leagues, but they do generally try to line up with the NHL. I would really expect them to follow the NHL's lead in season though

Stockton Heat this season were in a decent spot, but the couple years before they missed the playoffs. But that is heavily because a lot of the top players graduated to the NHL, and a lot of Flames 1st round picks didn't even play in the AHL (or we didn't have a 1st round pick). But with Tkachuk not playing there at all, and Mangiapane, Andersson, Kylington, and Rittich, all graduating, and Dube splitting time last year and seemingly graduated this year it has really depleted the AHL teams (2 top 6 forwards, 2 1st pairing d, and the teams 1a goaltender all graduating). As far as MEP, I really hope he does well (and we have developed a few smaller forwards, Mangi, Dube, and Matthew Phillips looks good as well), but he definitely seems like a top-6 or bust kind of player. I do believe he has the skill to make it though.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Wish he'd scored more at Denver, just so there would be more hype. Have to wait and see.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Wish he'd scored more at Denver, just so there would be more hype. Have to wait and see.
He was the highest scoring player on a good roster. There might not have been huge board hype, but given the commentary from some pundits through the year it is clear that MEP raised his profile among league watchers.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Went from 30 points in 40 to 35 points in 36, increasing goal total from 6 to 13. He had a good rookie year after his draft and improved the season after. That's all you can hope for.

Was just about to type, "let him finish his 4 years in school so he can develop", but he signed an ELC so AHL it is for him. With the Flames roster being quite deep, give him 2+ seasons in the AHL to develop and see what he can do after that. I think he can be another Mangiapane, quality 2nd line player down the road who will continue to improve.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
the AHL team
Sorry for late respons, and thank you for great answers. Now what would be the best options for MEP, and many others in similar situations? If they don't make the big team, and don't fit in a taxi squad, they should find some ways to give them some playing time. It can't be good for their development to sit a whole year? Maybe loan some of them to Europe? SHL could be a great league for Pettersen. Do they start training camp tomorrow?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sorry for late respons, and thank you for great answers. Now what would be the best options for MEP, and many others in similar situations? If they don't make the big team, and don't fit in a taxi squad, they should find some ways to give them some playing time. It can't be good for their development to sit a whole year? Maybe loan some of them to Europe? SHL could be a great league for Pettersen. Do they start training camp tomorrow?

He will be in camp today.

AHL starts in about a month. So this kid will get two weeks of training camp with the big boy squad, and then will get a couple weeks to work out before AHL camp starts; so there won’t be a real gap for him to need to travel overseas.

He needs to be in NA to continue to develop here. I think he’s a lot closer than most people think, he’ll be a nice little find for Calgary.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
He will be in camp today.

AHL starts in about a month. So this kid will get two weeks of training camp with the big boy squad, and then will get a couple weeks to work out before AHL camp starts; so there won’t be a real gap for him to need to travel overseas.

He needs to be in NA to continue to develop here. I think he’s a lot closer than most people think, he’ll be a nice little find for Calgary.
Thank you. Great news

Nightrain

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary
For what it's worth, Pronman posted his top under 23 prospects on the Athletic today.

Zary @103, Petterson 112 and Pelletier 151.

He had his skating ranked at high end.

Great potential here.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
For what it's worth, Pronman posted his top under 23 prospects on the Athletic today.

Zary @103, Petterson 112 and Pelletier 151.

He had his skating ranked at high end.

Great potential here.

Pelletier at 151. LOL

I remember when he said our only prospect with any potential was Oliver Kylington. At that time we had Rasmus Andersson, Adam Fox, Dillon Dube, Andrew Mangiapane and Juuso Valimaki in our prospect pool. The guy is clueless.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Pelletier at 151. LOL

I remember when he said our only prospect with any potential was Oliver Kylington. At that time we had Rasmus Andersson, Adam Fox, Dillon Dube, Andrew Mangiapane and Juuso Valimaki in our prospect pool. The guy is clueless.

Was about to post this.
The only thing more dopey than him, are the people who pay for his analysis

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad