Confirmed with Link: Flames Sign Lance Bouma and Paul Byron

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Byron was so not worth the 2nd round pick. Feaster made a good deal to trade down, still get Jankowski while also picking up Sieloff, but it would have been nice to draft another defensemen like Jake McCabe or Damon Severson in addition to Sieloff.

There isn't a spot for Byron on this team going forward and he didn't exactly set the AHL on fire either.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Might be his worst trade. Modin for a 5th was pretty brutal too.

Don't want to derail the thread. I honestly could've done without either of these guys being signed. But, they are cheap and only one year deals. Low risk/medium reward.

Bouma will bring a lot more to the table than Jackman at this point. And at least Byron will be good for the Heat - if Ward can institute a more offensive style, Byron could potentially be useful for them.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Bouma is a very solid 4th liner. I'm fine with having him. Byron? He has never impressed me, and I doubt he ever makes the NHL as a regular.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Don't care, where is Brodie's contract?? What is delaying that??
him and Monahan

one thing to keep in mind: Marc Bergevin played hardball with PK Subban last year wanting to see a little more out of PK even though PK was on his way to stardom the first couple years. They ended up signing a 2 year bridge contract and I'm sure it lit a fire under PK to perform at another level. After his Norris last year, I'm sure both Bergevin and PK will be happy to sign that next fat contract any day now.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Judging from Development camp, I don't think Monahan will be even AHL ready this year, let alone NHL ready. I hope they sign the kid because I want to see him play some pre-season games, but I think another year in the OHL or something will give him time to bulk-up. He can't even play in the AHL yet.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Bouma is a very solid 4th liner. I'm fine with having him. Byron? He has never impressed me, and I doubt he ever makes the NHL as a regular.

Keep in mind that Hartley asked for Byron to be brought up last year as he played his junior hockey in a very similar system as Hartley's and thrived in it (to bad he got hurt) with the Heat playing the same system as the Flames this year it is very possible that Byron turns some heads.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Keep in mind that Hartley asked for Byron to be brought up last year as he played his junior hockey in a very similar system as Hartley's and thrived in it (to bad he got hurt) with the Heat playing the same system as the Flames this year it is very possible that Byron turns some heads.
Yeah I remember Byron saying he felt a lot more comfortable with Hartleys system and thought he would thrive in it but then after something like 2 games broke his hand? Or finger I don't remember and never really got a chance after that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yeah I remember Byron saying he felt a lot more comfortable with Hartleys system and thought he would thrive in it but then after something like 2 games broke his hand? Or finger I don't remember and never really got a chance after that.

More like two shifts. And they were good shifts, too. I actually was impressed by the way he was playing in that short time-span, but I'm clearly in the minority.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
More like two shifts. And they were good shifts, too. I actually was impressed by the way he was playing in that short time-span, but I'm clearly in the minority.
2 shifts is hard to remember, but he is definitely more talented than he got to show under Sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad