Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Juuso Valimaki to ELC

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
If Valimaki were a month older, he would have been taken in the 2016 draft. Where would he have gone in a hypothetical redraft with him eligible after all those draft+1 years? I'd lean towards second round. Who would his progression in 2016-17 catapulted him ahead of? Probably not:

Chychrun
Sergachev
McAvoy

So where does he rank in the next tier?

Fox
Bean
Juolevi
Klague
Fabbro
Cholowski
Girard

I'd put him around the early to mid 20s. Better than Johansen, not as good as Cholowski.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Literally every model I've seen that uses numbers of any kind to rank the prospects is high on him and that coupled with the fact that he's consistently ranked in the 11-16 range and doesn't have any real weaknesses as far as I can tell makes me like him a lot.

I think you're overreacting to how old he is, I look at it as he's younger than all of those D you listed. How many of them actually had a better season this year? I'd say only Fox and Girard both of which have questions about their defence and more importantly size. Valimaki doesn't come with those question marks.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Literally every model I've seen that uses numbers of any kind to rank the prospects is high on him and that coupled with the fact that he's consistently ranked in the 11-16 range and doesn't have any real weaknesses as far as I can tell makes me like him a lot.

I think you're overreacting to how old he is, I look at it as he's younger than all of those D you listed. How many of them actually had a better season this year? I'd say only Fox and Girard both of which have questions about their defence and more importantly size. Valimaki doesn't come with those question marks.

I wasn't being critical of him? I was just pondering where he would rank among the 2016 class. Not like guys like Juolevi, Fabbro or Bean are bad prospects here.

I did end up wording it poorly though after re-reading my post. Originally I meant his draft-1 as a draft year would have gotten him taken around the second round, but in a 2016 redraft wih him ploped in don't see why he doesn't go 1st round.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I wasn't being critical of him? I was just pondering where he would rank among the 2016 class. Not like guys like Juolevi, Fabbro or Bean are bad prospects here.

I did end up wording it poorly though after re-reading my post. Originally I meant his draft-1 as a draft year would have gotten him taken around the second round, but in a 2016 redraft wih him ploped in don't see why he doesn't go 1st round.

Yeah I definitely read it the same way as Dack first time.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Valimaki were a month older, he would have been taken in the 2016 draft. Where would he have gone in a hypothetical redraft with him eligible after all those draft+1 years? I'd lean towards second round. Who would his progression in 2016-17 catapulted him ahead of? Probably not:

Chychrun
Sergachev
McAvoy

So where does he rank in the next tier?

Fox
Bean
Juolevi
Klague
Fabbro
Cholowski
Girard

I think the true question is if Valimaki was born a year later, where would he have went in the 2018 draft? Maybe 20th overall because yes it's a deep and elite draft, but most elite potential players are probably gone after the top 10 picks, and as teams pick lower they usually pick safety over ceiling for obvious reasons (Still contending, want to continue contending, etc.). Valimaki was on a lot of scouts top 10 in this draft, but ultimately most chose potential (And Holland chose a WTF) over safety since Valimaki doesn't scream elite in terms of ceiling.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I actually prefer Valimaki to Juolevi.

I'd agree with you at this point, I'm starting to think that if it weren't for the WJC and London being so good that Juolevi would've been a mid first round pick. His offence which was mediocre in his draft year didn't really improve and I follow a CHL analytics guy on Twitter (Zac Urbak) who tracks scoring chance and zone entry data (not openly available but sometimes he mentions it when talking about certain players) he said "Among top 4D, Juolevi had teams worst scoring chance impact & lowest successful breakout & entry numbers. Medicore on entry-denials too". Also adding that he was surprised Juolevi went as high as he did.

I still think Juolevi has potential though he's not a bad player/prospect I just don't think he should've been a top 10 pick.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd agree with you at his point, I'm starting to think that if it weren't for the WJC and London being so good that Juolevi would've been a mid first round pick. His offence which was mediocre in his draft year didn't really improve and I follow a CHL analytics guy on Twitter (Zac Urbak) who tracks scoring chance and zone entry data (not openly available but sometimes he mentions it when talking about certain players) he said "Among top 4D, Juolevi had teams worst scoring chance impact & lowest successful breakout & entry numbers. Medicore on entry-denials too". Also adding that he was surprised Juolevi went as high as he did.

I still think Juolevi has potential though he's not a bad player/prospect I just don't think he should've been a top 10 pick.

100% agree. Great defensive prospect, but if you rate a player from top to bottom, I think Valimaki comes out on top (so much for this being a bad draft). I'd give an edge Juolevi defensively, but I think Valimaki is a better skater, probably a better passer out of his own end and is a superior offensive player all around.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Every time Ulovi's name comes up I thank Benning. To think that Tkachuk could have been a Canuck.... I would have hated him so much.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
If the Flames had drafted Juolevi instead of Tkachuk, who would the Flames have taken in this draft?

Martin Necas, because without Tkachuk we would've been drafting a solid five spots higher at least.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Juuso strikes me as a guy, that 5 years from now, people are going to be saying:
'how'd this guy make it to the middle of the first round?'

Smart player, with some good size, who can skate. We know the offensive production is there, could be an excellent value pick for Calgary; considering the depth that blueline will have for the next 10 years... he could really slot in well.

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
There were earlier twitter quotes saying that Välimäki was on a loan from Ilves and therefore he could play in AHL. That is incorrect. If he does not play in NHL, he will be treated as a NA player, so the options are WHL or Europe.

At the moment it seems like WHL is the most probable destination in the case that he is not able to break through immediately to the Flames roster, but Juuso will listen what the Flames want from him. Europe can also be the destination. Juuso's own opinion seems to be playing elsewhere than in Finland.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
There were earlier twitter quotes saying that Välimäki was on a loan from Ilves and therefore he could play in AHL. That is incorrect. If he does not play in NHL, he will be treated as a NA player, so the options are WHL or Europe.

At the moment it seems like WHL is the most probable destination in the case that he is not able to break through immediately to the Flames roster, but Juuso will listen what the Flames want from him. Europe can also be the destination. Juuso's own opinion seems to be playing elsewhere than in Finland.

The Flames have stated that they're sending him back to the Tri-Cities for the upcoming season. I definitely would've preferred him playing in Finland as Liiga is a big step up from the WHL, but at least this way he'll be easier to keep an eye on.

It's too bad he can't play in the AHL, would've been the best of both worlds between the WHL and Liiga.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Interesting, do you have any sources to link? Generally these loan deals are done so that the European club can get bigger transfer fee, so it would seem weird if Välimäki's contract with Ilves (assuming he had one) was terminated instead of loan

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd laugh if he made the team. The Flames have been incredibly lucky with their 1st round picks of late and I think Valimaki is the 3rd best dman in this draft. And he might end up being the 2nd if Makar busts (I don't think he will). But Heiskanen is surely to be a stud, but I think Vali will score more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad