Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Josh Leivo (1 year, $875k)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
tumblr_pyz6ktBTV61so18vqo2_540.gif

Speak no more of Leavo, Speako.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lots of bodies.
I’ve liked Tre bringing in all these extra bodies, just trying to figure out where they all slot in and how they slot in.

I have to figure there’s something in the hopper here. We have 14 forwards signed to one way deals, and another 2-3 guys who in reality should be competing for jobs. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some moving parts here shortly. This guy fits that 3RW role that I thought was lacking.

Reactions: Mazatt

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Lots of bodies.
I’ve liked Tre bringing in all these extra bodies, just trying to figure out where they all slot in and how they slot in.

I have to figure there’s something in the hopper here. We have 14 forwards signed to one way deals, and another 2-3 guys who in reality should be competing for jobs. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some moving parts here shortly. This guy fits that 3RW role that I thought was lacking.
They could just bring them all to camp to create a good competition, and waive the guys who don't get it done right?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They could just bring them all to camp to create a good competition, and waive the guys who don't get it done right?

They certainly could.
Just seems like a lot of bodies, have to think PTOs are still on the table too

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I have to figure there’s something in the hopper here. We have 14 forwards signed to one way deals, and another 2-3 guys who in reality should be competing for jobs. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some moving parts here shortly.
Seeing as their talking about a full season, but starting in January, I see a lot of 4+ games/week happening. Pretty sure there were rumours of "taxi players" or whatever. Basically a certain number of players who are allowed to practice and train with the main NHL club in case of injuries (from compressed schedule)/Covid outbreaks.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I could maybe see him creating competition with Mangiapane, or pushing Dube back to the left side for a

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Bennett - Leivo

type move. Guy can score and as long as he can skate (reports indicate he does have legs) he should crack the roster. Don't think he belongs on the 1st, or 4th line though, but maybe he has the right amount of fight to win board batles and force his way into the zone to be Ferland-lite in that regard, being a good supporter for Gaudreau and Monahan.

Possibly the best thing he does is allow us to run Lindholm down the middle now that we have not terrible RW depth of Mangiapane, Dube, Leivo that allows us to make that move and mix-and-match who works best where.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Overall I love the flexibility this gives us. If Ward doesn't shake up the top six (hopefully he does, but who knows) this could give us some really fun options for Bennett and Ryan to work with. Last time we gave Ryan competent linemates with Hathaway and Mangiapane they practically carried us as the fourth line.

In an ideal world I'd love to see

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Gaudreau-Bennett-Dube
Leivo-Monahan-Lindholm
Nordstrom/Lucic-Ryan-Simon

Try something new, two wrecking balls and a guy with speed/shot for Gaudreau, stick with the line that works, see if Monahan can produce away from Johnny, and that 4th line really reminds me of the aforementioned Mangi-Ryan-Hath line.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
If I were talented I would label the bowls
Markstrom/Tanev/Leivo

The Orange cat Treliving & White one Benning:
F1C2C9F7-CEBA-4999-A447-59FE51571FE6.gif

Seriously though, nice signing on Josh. Like others have said, if his patella injury is behind him you’ve got a great deal.

Ok, one more: Treliving is jumping over Benning to sign a Canuck.
172A7AEC-E7DA-4E64-8C9F-56D597DF210A.gif

Reactions: Bounces R Way

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Overall I love the flexibility this gives us. If Ward doesn't shake up the top six (hopefully he does, but who knows) this could give us some really fun options for Bennett and Ryan to work with. Last time we gave Ryan competent linemates with Hathaway and Mangiapane they practically carried us as the fourth line.

In an ideal world I'd love to see

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane
Gaudreau-Bennett-Dube
Leivo-Monahan-Lindholm
Nordstrom/Lucic-Ryan-Simon

Try something new, two wrecking balls and a guy with speed/shot for Gaudreau, stick with the line that works, see if Monahan can produce away from Johnny, and that 4th line really reminds me of the aforementioned Mangi-Ryan-Hath line.

He'll shake the top 6 for 5 minutes...you can't magically create new top 6 with bottom 6 talent

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Calling Simon and Leivo spare parts is very very far off.
True... although I said it, it wasn't really what I meant. I don't expect either of those players to get thrown in on a trade deal but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see players that those two will replace to be expendable and possibly be added to a deal.
When I said spare parts I meant more of a growing collection of players who can play in the bottom six.... mix and match.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Really really good player.
You guys are going to love him.

You know how teams put middle six or bottom six players in their bottom six..but they're not very good players and then those two lines get hemmed in their own zone a lot of the game and it causes momentum swings.
Well, Leivo is one of those guys who actually pushes back and through winning board battles and hard work he pushes the play the other way.
I think he's the type of player that good teams win with when he's in the bottom 6.

You guys are taking all my Canucks! please help yourselves to a Sutter or Eriksson hahaha
ahhhh i'm all out of tears...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->