Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Johannes Kinnvall

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Nor does anybody really
That is not true at all. It’s not that difficult to learn about them. Many GM’s and scouts use these to draft and help build their team. Look at Colorado for example, you can thank a lot of their success to advanced stats and to their management for implying them so heavily.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That is not true at all. It’s not that difficult to learn about them. Many GM’s and scouts use these to draft and help build their team. Look at Colorado for example, you can thank a lot of their success to advanced stats and to their management for implying them so heavily.
GMs dont use the fluff metrics that people use here as a hammer to win arguments

Reactions: Mazatt

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I'm confused how on a forum where advanced stats are used in basically every thread, that it's a Johannes Kinnvall thread where people are all of a sudden confused by advanced stats and don't know what they mean.

And yes, Colorado and Carolina are two teams specifically that have really took a heavy-analytics approach the last few seasons, becoming top teams in the process.

Reactions: Flamesfan62

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm confused how on a forum where advanced stats are used in basically every thread, that it's a Johannes Kinnvall thread where people are all of a sudden confused by advanced stats and don't know what they mean.

And yes, Colorado and Carolina are two teams specifically that have really took a heavy-analytics approach the last few seasons, becoming top teams in the process.
I don't think you know what they mean

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Judging by the free agent signings we've made (this offseason aside), I'm not sure our in-house advanced stats are all that good anyway

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Judging by the free agent signings we've made (this offseason aside), I'm not sure our in-house advanced stats are all that good anyway

How the hell do you trade for Hamonic, sign Brouwer, trade for and then re-sign Michael Stone, buy him out and then re-sign him again, if you had a guy in charge who even knew the slightest about advanced stats. Ignoring the fact they are all garbage trash players just based on the eye test and actual stat sheet, they were among the leagues worst in the advanced stats before we got them. That's just a few.

How do you keep Hanifin-Hamonic together for years when they are the worst advanced stats pair in the league.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
How the hell do you trade for Hamonic, sign Brouwer, trade for and then re-sign Michael Stone, buy him out and then re-sign him again, if you had a guy in charge who even knew the slightest about advanced stats. Ignoring the fact they are all garbage trash players just based on the eye test and actual stat sheet, they were among the leagues worst in the advanced stats before we got them. That's just a few.

How do you keep Hanifin-Hamonic together for years when they are the worst advanced stats pair in the league.

This is hyperbole, but besides that our record has been pretty trash tbh. The Tanev signing looks like an impending disaster. I serious question the offensive capability of our blueline, and paying 4.5 million for a Hamonic replacement doesn't inspire confidence in me either. Seems to me Tre got desperate and left hanging after Brodie bailed and didn't have a choice, but I seriously think that contract could look bad as quickly as puck drop in 2021.

Overall our record in free agency is just godawful to the point that I do question how our team analyzes this sort of info. Ik @Volica bought up some stuff in this regards and why we didn't bring back Brodie, but I mean the record speaks for itself.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
This is hyperbole, but besides that our record has been pretty trash tbh. The Tanev signing looks like an impending disaster. I serious question the offensive capability of our blueline, and paying 4.5 million for a Hamonic replacement doesn't inspire confidence in me either. Seems to me Tre got desperate and left hanging after Brodie bailed and didn't have a choice, but I seriously think that contract could look bad as quickly as puck drop in 2021.

Overall our record in free agency is just godawful to the point that I do question how our team analyzes this sort of info. Ik @Volica bought up some stuff in this regards and why we didn't bring back Brodie, but I mean the record speaks for itself.

I want to believe otherwise, but that contract is going to be a partial anchor.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Look, I'm not criticizing you posting stuff and getting excited. In fact, I really appreciate it. But logically speaking, stats have flaws at times. Forgive the collective eyebrow raising when the stats saying he's near league best. We want to be excited, but also cautiously optimistic.

That's why when you posted it, a few eyebrows are raised. I honestly think most of us posting here want to be as excited as you, but we aren't willing to do it based on a single stat line. We want more data to prove we should be excited. Like, is Kinnvall the equivalent of us picking up a free Myers or Zamula calibre talent or something? Or is this a lucky and hot streak? Then I see another page that has Kinnvall's NHLe at like 67 vs Valimaki's at 39. This further confuses me. He's near SHL league top and likely to basically replicate most of what he's doing is what I get if I combine the two.

I understand the context if they are reasonable with reasonable comparable to match the eye test, or long term sustainability of the stats (ie: If he had similar stat lines last season). Didn't Burke say something along the lines of, "Stats are great for illuminating the dark alley, but not as a lamp post to support you from falling over." or something along those lines? Didn't we go through something similar with Gulutzan where we had great advanced stats, but eye test showed something really wonky and rickety and seemingly high risk against the Flames?

I'm an auditor by trade and one of the key underlying things we do is that we derive the same conclusion using different paths and methods as well as sources. That's what many try to do with combining advanced stats and eye test. If the stats say good, but eye test says bad, there's something wrong, or you have to keep looking to see what you're missing. The part that drives many bonkers is that many rely on the data and refuse to keep using alternate methods to see what is missed. This is what is meant about the story of the blind men describing the elephant. All of them are correct, yet all of them are wrong at the same time.

Stats are great for quick glances, but they don't take certain aspects into account. What many of us are wondering is what Kinvall is doing to be league top and whether he is legitimately good enough to be league top, or are we dealing with some weird out of context stat. Someone leaned on heavily to shoulder heavy burdens on a bad team is going to get wrecked advanced stats wise. A sheltered player on a great team will have good stats, but unlikely to replicate it in different circumstances.

I've always believe that with many advanced stats, it should be two line. Base stat, then stat comparison to team. If you can get the average team stat line of the one you posted for Kinnvall and he's still wrecking his next closest teammates, then I'll get more excited even without eye test (based on the understanding that the team he plays on is near league bottom and it's kinda hard to maintain good stats on a team that is often losing).

So what you’re saying is that you know nothing about advanced stats either, because those stats are used quite commonly.

Or this is another advanced stats whoosh moment.

Or, this is another situation like +/- and corsi where the real story isn't told (ie: Quality of competition etc.). Not to mention, we had another poster reveal that the Flames track significantly different stats that the average fan isn't privy to. One that for instance shows Brodie as "meh" vs Andersson as "damn Daniel!".

We literally have stats that say Kinvall is basically the top of the league. What we are trying to figure out is if the league sucks, if he's actually good, does he have a great partner he's leeching off of etc.

What absolutely drives many who actually try to understand or question stats up the wall is that those who tout them absolutely go nuts if you try and audit the methods or audit the validity of the stat. A good audit shows that several paths can be used to come to the same conclusion. If there are mismatches in the information or there is an odd logic to the data, you have to investigate. Otherwise, those are the holes by which someone may use to commit fraud (or there is an error that will just keep rolling forward indefinitely because no one questioned it).

It's not that we just go brain dead on stats, it's that Kinnvall's stats say he's league top, there's a recent article on Reddit that shows Kinnvall's NHLe is 67 vs Valimaki is 39 which means that Kinnvall is more likely to replicate what he's doing now in the NHL than Valimaki is? But again, what is he actually doing in the SHL that is giving him dmen wrecking advanced stats? Are they outliers in stats or are they legit data points?

Reactions: DirtDiver

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I want to believe otherwise, but that contract is going to be a partial anchor.

Hmm, I disagree depending on how far his play falls. If we get a hands down 2nd line calibre player for 2/3 to 3/4 of the season, we are doing OK due to the LTIR implications as well as the opportunities granted to the kids (who either only get a healthy d corps or an injury riddled one, basically a sink/sink vs sink/swim). Also, this extended break I think will be glorious for Tanev to recover from injuries.

Furthermore, from some of my digging, Tanev gets injured a ton blocking shots doing a similar form of collapse D reminiscent of the Hartley era. At that time we were dealing with injuries up the wazoo as well. We had exceptionally healthy d corps in comparison since Gully, Peters and now Ward. The play style either turns Tanev into Hamonic, or gets him healthier and he plays more at a high level. Then, we have Gio and co who are very good at shot blocking well without injuries. If Tanev learns that, that helps him too.

But let's run the theoretical lines:

Gio -Andersson (young/old to spread wear/tear and mentorship)
Hanifin - Tanev (young/old to spread wear/tear and mentorship)
-------------------

LD: Valimaki (?), Kylington (?), Lerby
RD: Nesterov (LS), Kylington (LS), Kinnvall (RS)

Here's the weird part, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Valimaki plays LD, but I seem to recall reading that he was testing RD as well. Kylington I also heard prefers RD and LD is shoehorning him like Gully era Brodie. Both guys are unknowns at LD/RD right now.

Lerby, Kinnvall and Nesterov I think are fixed positions, right? If these 3 are fixed positions and Valimaki/Kylington are swing LD/RD, I think we suddenly have some interesting or confusing bottom pairing combinations to look forward to.

Reactions: Deen

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Look, I'm not criticizing you posting stuff and getting excited. In fact, I really appreciate it. But logically speaking, stats have flaws at times. Forgive the collective eyebrow raising when the stats saying he's near league best. We want to be excited, but also cautiously optimistic.

That's why when you posted it, a few eyebrows are raised. I honestly think most of us posting here want to be as excited as you, but we aren't willing to do it based on a single stat line. We want more data to prove we should be excited. Like, is Kinnvall the equivalent of us picking up a free Myers or Zamula calibre talent or something? Or is this a lucky and hot streak? Then I see another page that has Kinnvall's NHLe at like 67 vs Valimaki's at 39. This further confuses me. He's near SHL league top and likely to basically replicate most of what he's doing is what I get if I combine the two.

I understand the context if they are reasonable with reasonable comparable to match the eye test, or long term sustainability of the stats (ie: If he had similar stat lines last season). Didn't Burke say something along the lines of, "Stats are great for illuminating the dark alley, but not as a lamp post to support you from falling over." or something along those lines? Didn't we go through something similar with Gulutzan where we had great advanced stats, but eye test showed something really wonky and rickety and seemingly high risk against the Flames?

I'm an auditor by trade and one of the key underlying things we do is that we derive the same conclusion using different paths and methods as well as sources. That's what many try to do with combining advanced stats and eye test. If the stats say good, but eye test says bad, there's something wrong, or you have to keep looking to see what you're missing. The part that drives many bonkers is that many rely on the data and refuse to keep using alternate methods to see what is missed. This is what is meant about the story of the blind men describing the elephant. All of them are correct, yet all of them are wrong at the same time.

Stats are great for quick glances, but they don't take certain aspects into account. What many of us are wondering is what Kinvall is doing to be league top and whether he is legitimately good enough to be league top, or are we dealing with some weird out of context stat. Someone leaned on heavily to shoulder heavy burdens on a bad team is going to get wrecked advanced stats wise. A sheltered player on a great team will have good stats, but unlikely to replicate it in different circumstances.

I've always believe that with many advanced stats, it should be two line. Base stat, then stat comparison to team. If you can get the average team stat line of the one you posted for Kinnvall and he's still wrecking his next closest teammates, then I'll get more excited even without eye test (based on the understanding that the team he plays on is near league bottom and it's kinda hard to maintain good stats on a team that is often losing).

Or, this is another situation like +/- and corsi where the real story isn't told (ie: Quality of competition etc.). Not to mention, we had another poster reveal that the Flames track significantly different stats that the average fan isn't privy to. One that for instance shows Brodie as "meh" vs Andersson as "damn Daniel!".

We literally have stats that say Kinvall is basically the top of the league. What we are trying to figure out is if the league sucks, if he's actually good, does he have a great partner he's leeching off of etc.

What absolutely drives many who actually try to understand or question stats up the wall is that those who tout them absolutely go nuts if you try and audit the methods or audit the validity of the stat. A good audit shows that several paths can be used to come to the same conclusion. If there are mismatches in the information or there is an odd logic to the data, you have to investigate. Otherwise, those are the holes by which someone may use to commit fraud (or there is an error that will just keep rolling forward indefinitely because no one questioned it).

It's not that we just go brain dead on stats, it's that Kinnvall's stats say he's league top, there's a recent article on Reddit that shows Kinnvall's NHLe is 67 vs Valimaki is 39 which means that Kinnvall is more likely to replicate what he's doing now in the NHL than Valimaki is? But again, what is he actually doing in the SHL that is giving him dmen wrecking advanced stats? Are they outliers in stats or are they legit data points?

Considering Kinnvall placed 8th in SHL scoring last season (1st on his team), I'd say it's pretty fair to say this isn't simply a hot streak. 90% likely won't keep up the goal scoring or his very high PPG but he'll very likely finish tops on his team in scoring once again despite missing the first 5 games (yet he's only 3 points behind first on his team).

I find it funny (and/or odd) that people are using a prospect thread to go in-depth about the validity of advanced stats (even though his counting stats also paint a pretty picture) when there's hundreds of other threads where the discussion is much more beneficial, rather than a thread where stats were posted to show just how well he's performing.

As for the advanced stats aspect, I have this argument lots. No, you don't judge a player solely based on advanced stats.

Say a team of all McDavid's played the Kings. The McDavid's have 40% advanced stats across the board (CF%, FF%, SF%, SCF%, HDCF%, xGF%) and the Kings have 60% across the board. 99 times out of 100, the McDavid's are likely to win solely based on their talent.

However, let's now say you replace the Kings with another team of McDavid's (we'll still call them the Kings). Now it's a team of McDavid's at 40% across the board versus a team of McDavid's at 60% across the board. 99 times out of 100, the Kings' McDavid's are likely to win now, because they match the McDavid's in talent AND completely outperform them in the analytics department.

When looking at Kinnvall, we're not looking at an untalented player who simply has great advanced stats. We're looking at a very skilled, fantastic-producing D-man who also just so happens to have fantastic advanced stats.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island

Sure you can cherry pick certain stats, but that doesn’t mean some are more meaningful than others. All I implied was that these stats are used in everyday evaluation, which is the truth. What people decide to do with that information is up to them. Once you gather these type of stats you dive deeper like you mentioned, level of competition, what sort of minutes is he playing, is he essentially getting carried by a partner, whichever scenario fits the narrative. It can either lead to enormous success like Tampa (Point, Kucherov) or enormous failure like Calgary (Smith, Wotherspoon) Everything besides the eye test pointed to Point and Kucherov being the best bets for success. Some of our recent drafts we seem to have been getting the right idea with these mid to late selections. And the fact in this case Kinnvall is in arguably the 3rd best league in the world and has many more than these few advanced stats listed to back up the hype, I’d say it’s fair.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Considering Kinnvall placed 8th in SHL scoring last season (1st on his team), I'd say it's pretty fair to say this isn't simply a hot streak. 90% likely won't keep up the goal scoring or his very high PPG but he'll very likely finish tops on his team in scoring once again despite missing the first 5 games (yet he's only 3 points behind first on his team).

I find it funny (and/or odd) that people are using a prospect thread to go in-depth about the validity of advanced stats (even though his counting stats also paint a pretty picture) when there's hundreds of other threads where the discussion is much more beneficial, rather than a thread where stats were posted to show just how well he's performing.

As for the advanced stats aspect, I have this argument lots. No, you don't judge a player solely based on advanced stats.

Say a team of all McDavid's played the Kings. The McDavid's have 40% advanced stats across the board (CF%, FF%, SF%, SCF%, HDCF%, xGF%) and the Kings have 60% across the board. 99 times out of 100, the McDavid's are likely to win solely based on their talent.

However, let's now say you replace the Kings with another team of McDavid's (we'll still call them the Kings). Now it's a team of McDavid's at 40% across the board versus a team of McDavid's at 60% across the board. 99 times out of 100, the Kings' McDavid's are likely to win now, because they match the McDavid's in talent AND completely outperform them in the analytics department.

When looking at Kinnvall, we're not looking at an untalented player who simply has great advanced stats. We're looking at a very skilled, fantastic-producing D-man who also just so happens to have fantastic advanced stats.

Well, cool. That's good stats wise if he has track record to back it up.

For a silly non-stats question, what type of player comparable are we looking at here?

Sure you can cherry pick certain stats, but that doesn’t mean some are more meaningful than others. All I implied was that these stats are used in everyday evaluation, which is the truth. What people decide to do with that information is up to them. Once you gather these type of stats you dive deeper like you mentioned, level of competition, what sort of minutes is he playing, is he essentially getting carried by a partner, whichever scenario fits the narrative. It can either lead to enormous success like Tampa (Point, Kucherov) or enormous failure like Calgary (Smith, Wotherspoon) Everything besides the eye test pointed to Point and Kucherov being the best bets for success. Some of our recent drafts we seem to have been getting the right idea with these mid to late selections. And the fact in this case Kinnvall is in arguably the 3rd best league in the world and has many more than these few advanced stats listed to back up the hype, I’d say it’s fair.

You want to know the funny part? We lucked into Tkachuk a little bit because there were a few GM who were dumb, but others who felt that he was a passenger on his line. I'm liking to hear there's more information that is being collected that is showing that Kinnvall might not just be a hot streak. I'd love to see more as we go along.

I get where you're coming from for your stats comment, but there's no unified stat just as there is no unified language of the world. Whichever you choose will always have pros and cons unfortunately. This is why multiple perspectives are nice. I appreciate your POV just as I appreciate Ferklund's for being from a different angle.

I'm starting to get a bit more excited about Kinnvall. For now, I conclude the stat lines say we should pay more attention to him as opposed to he's going to be a sure fire scary awesome player.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Well, cool. That's good stats wise if he has track record to back it up.

For a silly non-stats question, what type of player comparable are we looking at here?

You want to know the funny part? We lucked into Tkachuk a little bit because there were a few GM who were dumb, but others who felt that he was a passenger on his line. I'm liking to hear there's more information that is being collected that is showing that Kinnvall might not just be a hot streak. I'd love to see more as we go along.

I get where you're coming from for your stats comment, but there's no unified stat just as there is no unified language of the world. Whichever you choose will always have pros and cons unfortunately. This is why multiple perspectives are nice. I appreciate your POV just as I appreciate Ferklund's for being from a different angle.

I'm starting to get a bit more excited about Kinnvall. For now, I conclude the stat lines say we should pay more attention to him as opposed to he's going to be a sure fire scary awesome player.
I remember that speculation actually, I tuned in to a few of his games mostly in the playoffs and Memorial Cup and he looked like a monster. But of course there’s caution there because who he is playing with, and I think that’s why evaluating these kids can be so tough. I’ve been getting more into these stats recently because they seem to give me a better idea of what to expect, but like you say there’s still lots of pros and cons for every single stat out there and you really never know what to expect. But one thing I don’t understand is why is Valimaki being tainted as a for sure bet when Kinnvall is playing slightly below his level in a better league? Sometimes it’s difficult to really evaluate these players correctly when there’s all this hype. I think that’s what makes it so fun.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Valimaki being tainted as a for sure bet when Kinnvall is playing slightly below his level in a better league?
I think that's partially because Vali is younger, and also is coming off of over a calendar year without playing a single game, and is performing at this level.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I think that's partially because Vali is younger, and also is coming off of over a calendar year without playing a single game, and is performing at this level.
They are a year apart which isn’t gigantic at this stage of development, and it’s not like Valimaki hasn’t been practicing long before coming back, and SHL>Liiga. And Kinnvall is producing more, while Valimaki is doing better in advanced stats. Don’t get me wrong, I think Valimaki will be much better but how does this fan base hate on one and think the other will be the next Miro? Something doesn’t add up here

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Who think Valimaki is the next Heiskanen? Heiskanen is going win multiple Norris trophies. I don’t think anyone expects that from Valimaki...

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
They are a year apart which isn’t gigantic at this stage of development, and it’s not like Valimaki hasn’t been practicing long before coming back, and SHL>Liiga. And Kinnvall is producing more, while Valimaki is doing better in advanced stats. Don’t get me wrong, I think Valimaki will be much better but how does this fan base hate on one and think the other will be the next Miro? Something doesn’t add up here

Because he's actually played in the NHL? And who's hating on Kinvall?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Who think Valimaki is the next Heiskanen? Heiskanen is going win multiple Norris trophies. I don’t think anyone expects that from Valimaki...

Agreed. Heiskanen is a modern Scott Niedermeyer. Just controls the game with his skating.

I see Valimaki as a Ryan Suter or Mark Giordano type player (although I don’t expect him to be nearly as good). He’s smart and fast and strong. But he doesn’t move like Heiskanen, that kid is insane.

Reactions: User1996

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah Heiskanen is amazing. I think he’s a top 3 dman as early as next season.

I do think Valimaki could be as good as Gio. Honestly I see him a lot like Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Mitts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->