Confirmed with Link: Flames sign college FA D Josh Healey

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Makes a lot of sense with no 2nd or 3rd this year, so adding Healey at his current age is like a 2nd rounder. If he ends up being Sieloff plus then cool.
I don't think it makes sense for that reason, the players drafted in rounds 2 and 3 wouldn't be turning pro for probably 2 years, probably longer if they draft out of Europe or College. However I think it always makes sense to get free assets when possible. Even if all RFAs are retained (which we know they won't be) the Flames are at 45 contracts before signing any UFAs, so there is plenty of room for NCAA free agents (and to sign Hickey if he goes pro)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So what you're telling me is we'll trade him in a couple years with the expectation that he'll take out an opponents top 6 winger in training camp? :popcorn:

Trade him for a fairly useful piece, while he goes out and goons an integral part of a team.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Here's the full interview.
Treliving said the main reason for signing Healy was the fact that they traded some draft picks, and signing him helps recoup that loss in a way.

While not a bad reason, I do wonder how we're going to work out the 50 contracts. I think Ollas-Mattsson, Phillips, Hickey, Fox, and Falkovsky are all guys that have made an argument for ELCs themselves.

I don't have a problem with this signing at all, but I do think we need to clean house of Kanzig, Pollock, and Schneider.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
While not a bad reason, I do wonder how we're going to work out the 50 contracts. I think Ollas-Mattsson, Phillips, Hickey, Fox, and Falkovsky are all guys that have made an argument for ELCs themselves.

I don't have a problem with this signing at all, but I do think we need to clean house of Kanzig, Pollock, and Schneider.

We've only got 32 contracts signed for next year. Hickey is really the only one we need to sign sooner than later correct?

LennyV

Jul 7, 2007
Göteborg
Interesting to see how his game (meaning his stats, obviously I haven't seen him play) translates to AHL. Probably a low risk - low reward move either way though.

Aug 21, 2014
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWLfmtiBLIu/?taken-by=nhl.discussion&hl=en

Dat Truculence :laugh:

Will be interesting to see if this kid can stick with the big club in a year or two.

159.gif

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He has looked really good in prospect camp. Mobile, positionally sound, and poised. Almost a physical Brett Kulak, though I haven't seen enough of him to say that definitively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->