Player Discussion Blake "Pickles" Coleman

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I see the argument that more time on ice means more production and I would argue losing the stacked team around him will make it alot harder on him. I can't imagine he becomes a 50 point player consistently for the length of the contract which is what he would have to do to justify it. This is vast overpayment based on hope and prayers
I mean, he hit that pace in New Jersey. Playing for Tampa reduced his point production.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I mean, he hit that pace in New Jersey. Playing for Tampa reduced his point production.

Or did he have 1 great year in New Jersey and we just got a 40 point guy at best?

Time will tell I'm not happy with both the term and average but I like the player. I just don't see how this years team is any better than last years team. We swapped a useful D for a useful forward basically. Again how do you convince Tkachuk he isn't a 9 million dollar player when you give 5 to Coleman

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Or did he have 1 great year in New Jersey and we just got a 40 point guy at best?

Time will tell I'm not happy with both the term and average but I like the player. I just don't see how this years team is any better than last years team. We swapped a useful D for a useful forward basically. Again how do you convince Tkachuk he isn't a 9 million dollar player when you give 5 to Coleman
Tkachuk's QO is $9M, so that ship has probably sailed anyway. But $4.9M isn't exactly going to change the salary structure on this team if Coleman is a Backlund-level player.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Tkachuk's QO is $9M, so that ship has probably sailed anyway. But $4.9M isn't exactly going to change the salary structure on this team if Coleman is a Backlund-level player.
Backlund level is best case imo, if he plays like that for 5 years I'll happily eat crow but again I simply have my doubts

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Will definitely get a couple very good years out of Coleman. After that it could be a disaster but that’s a later problem

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
So fkn what
Way to show some class and welcome a new player to your team. This reflects on your image more than anything, even if you meant it to be humorous, it's in bad taste. My two cents anyways. Can't wait to see him play, sounds like good player and a character guy, he will represent our city and team well I'm sure.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Way to show to show some class and welcome a new player to your team. This reflects on your image more than anything, even if you meant it to be humorous, it's in bad taste. My two cents anyways. Can't wait to see him play, sounds like good player and a character guy, he will represent our city and team well I'm sure.

To each their own, but to do that to a player who hasn’t even played a game, is quite odd to me. Anyone would have signed that contract, it’s not the players fault. If anything he should hate the GM.

Reactions: Mitts and Fig

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I loved watching him with Tampa. Quite a bit more skilled than Goodrow and just as much grit.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Holy horrible takes. At least do even the tiniest bit of research on the player before throwing temper tantrums.

Seeing the comparisons to Brouwer and Neal is laughable. Whereas those deals were immediately crucified by the analytics community, Coleman is beloved by the analytics community for how incredibly well he drives both offense and defense. Comparing him to those 2 atrocities just goes to show some know absolutely nothing about him. He's MUCH closer to a Michael Frolik then those two plugs.

Coleman was my top UFA forward target (minus Landeskog), and here's why:

Coleman is a legitimate top 6 forward who not only produces 5v5 offense at an excellent rate, but is elite defensively. He's a true top 6 two-way forward.

On Tampa Bay at 5v5, Coleman produced, among forwards:
- 0.80 goals per 60 (5th)
- 1.24 assists per 60 (3rd)
- 2.04 points per 60 (4th)

Chance wise, individually, he produced:
- 0.68 ixGF/60 (4th)
- 8.89 iSCF/60 (2nd)
- 3.82 iHDCF/60 (3rd)

He also produced 1.07 drawn penalties per 60 (3rd)

Analytically, he was absolutely dominant:

Offensively (positive is good):
- 5.79 Rel CF/60 (3rd)
- 6.84 Rel FF/60 (2nd)
- 6.7 Rel SF/60 (2nd)
- 0.39 Rel xGF/60 (1st)
- 3.49 Rel SCF/60 (2nd)
- 2.47 Rel HDCF/60 (3rd)

Defensively (negative is good):
- -3.54 Rel CA/60 (2nd)
- -2.89 Rel FA/60 (2nd)
- -2.15 Rel SA/60 (2nd)
- -0.18 Rel xGA/60 (2nd)
- -2.21 Rel SCA/60 (1st)
- -1.01 Rel HDCA/60 (3rd)

Overall (positive is good):
- 4.46 Rel CF% (2nd)
- 5.96 Rel FF% (1st)
- 7.23 Rel SF% (1st)
- 6.44 Rel xGF% (1st)
- 5.30 Rel SCF% (2nd)
- 8.36 Rel HDCF% (2nd)

All despite having the 3rd lowest Offensize Zone Start % (48.76%).

To recap, Coleman was:
- a top 5 Tampa forward in terms of 5v5 offense rates
- a top 4 Tampa forward in terms of individual chance creation
- a top 3 Tampa forward in terms of driving offense
- a top 3 Tampa forward in terms of driving defense
- a top 2 Tampa forward in terms of overall driving ability

On a back-to-back Stanley Cup winning team, Coleman was incredibly effective at 5v5 and one of Tampa Bay's very best 5v5 forwards, both offensively AND defensively.

$4.9M is more than okay for what he brings.

Is the term a year or two longer than I hoped? Yes, but it's very likely that he lives up to his contract (or quite possibly even outperforms it) for the first 3-4 (maybe 5) years.

For those of you that like charts:

Final verdict: I love me some Blake Coleman

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Coleman is nice to have on a contending team, but the Flames are not even close to being a contender with the D-core the way it is.

Reactions: baby shark

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Another good signing by Tre. Plays a gritty game like Bennett did, but scores more and is almost as flexible (plays both wings) and can do so up and down the line-up.

By the length of his contract, he is part of the new core.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Another good signing by Tre. Plays a gritty game like Bennett did, but scores more and is almost as flexible (plays both wings) and can do so up and down the line-up.

What core? This "core" is a joke lol

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

By the length of this contract he is the core. I'm happy to have him and his style will fit in under Sutter perfectly, I just don't like the contract.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Still think it's too much for too long (which I guess is typical for UFAs:dunno:) but one thing I'm happy about with the Coleman signing is that he shoots a ton and is actually pretty good at it.

Has a 10% career shooting percentage and had 122 SoG with Tampa last season and two 200+ SoG seasons prior. Would have been 5th in shots last season for the Flames while getting 3rd line minutes and 2nd after Gaudreau in 2019-20. Been saying for a while now we have too many setup guys and not enough shooters.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
really good player, that blake coleman. i didn't watch a lot of flames games at the end of 2020-21 -
what's the top 9 looking like and who is coleman gonna play with?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
really good player, that blake coleman. i didn't watch a lot of flames games at the end of 2020-21 -
what's the top 9 looking like and who is coleman gonna play with?
I think the consensus is that he'd be playing with Monahan and Mangaipane on the 2nd line. Barring other moves, of course.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Monahan - Coleman

Reactions: neelynugs

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I still love this signing, the heck with the haters. Yes he’s 30, yes it’s a high AVV and for 6 years, but he has low tread like Ryan did and he’s a super fun, high energy player. I think we get 4 good years out of this deal.
Yup. If and when this contract actually handcuffs us with the cap, which it isn't, at least not this season, then maybe I'll whine about it. But I'm good for now lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->