GDT: Flames @ Sharks - 2:00 PM MT - SNW

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
im no blaming Monahan I just meant that early in the season he and Gaudreau were on fire, and I thought at the time they might both be ppg players, but they suddenly fell off

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Goaltending after the Smith injury is definitely part of it, but I think Brodie having a down year, combined with Backlund and Froliks offensive totals dropping, with no improvement from Bennett, and Versteeg getting hurt (he helps the PP plus while inconsistent, is a bit more offensively creative) and Jankowski in his first season, it was the stuff adding up.

If Jankowski improves next year, that Will help a ton

Janks takes nearly the full ice to turn lol. I'll probably take heat for that too. Good hands, positioning, but isn't super fast and not agile laterally. IMO.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Fun fact, Kane has scored more goals against us this season than any other player in the NHL with 6 goals in only 2 games. Actually I don’t know if he has the most, but he probably does.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
im no blaming Monahan I just meant that early in the season he and Gaudreau were on fire, and I thought at the time they might both be ppg players, but they suddenly fell off

Yeah I get it. Not saying your wrong, I just mean that the team shouldn't have to rely on mony or Johnny to supply literally all the offense for the entire year .

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I get it. Not saying your wrong, I just mean that the team shouldn't have to rely on mony or Johnny to supply literally all the offense for the entire year .
oh definitely not, secondary scoring makes all the difference

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
IMO the shooting percentage is at unsustainable low levels this year.

This year the Flames had a team shooting percentage of 8.0%(28th) ... in 2016-17 it was 9.3% (14th) and in the middle of the pack. 9.5 (7th)and in 2015-16 and finally 10.5% in 2015-16 good enough for second overall.

In 2015-16 almost all analysts forecasted a correction on Calgary's shooting percentage. Well this year the team ended up with the bad bounces. I can't count how many times a bad bounce did the Flames in this season from ref's not getting out of the way and it squirting onto the oppositions stick, to Frolik's gaffe passing the puck towards Mike Smith to weird bounces of the glass.

The underlying numbers for the Flames are very good. The largest issue the Flames have is getting the PP going which was rectified somewhat when Tkachuk was put on the top unit. Many here looked at 2015-16 and said the underlying numbers are horrid look out because the Flames will come back to earth.

I am saying right now the underlying numbers are very good especially considering half the team is under 25. Those numbers are only going to get better. This season is a blip on the way to good things.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
yeah it's just bad luck man....good thing is next year we can celebrate the 30 yrs curse

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
This year the Flames had a team shooting percentage of 8.0%(28th) ... in 2016-17 it was 9.3% (14th) and in the middle of the pack. 9.5 (7th)and in 2015-16 and finally 10.5% in 2015-16 good enough for second overall.

Look, I agree that luck is a factor but it's pretty clear that the style we employed before Gulutzan was more effective offensively. We did to opponents what opponents have been doing to us all year - let them set up in the zone so that we could catch them out of position for outnumbered attacks with speed.

The Flames are not as bad as they have looked but they are grossly underperformipng beyond just luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
Glad I missed this (was sleeping), but would have missed it anyway if I didn't sleep. Why bother watching anymore, the team has given up completely.

Sucks that we probably won't win another game this season (look who we play lol) when we don't have a first round pick to tank.

By far the worst seasons I've had to watch in the past 15 years.

True fans will watch through anything. No matter how bad it is.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Yeah i'm not watching this garbage hockey. No Monahan, no Tkachuk, no Brodie, no hope for playoffs. What's the point

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is a silly post. I will always be a fan of this team but that doesn't mean I can't think for myself. I'm not subjecting myself to this poor excuse for hockey.

It’s also a chance to show management the product isn’t to satisfaction. If attendance, ratings and jersey/merchandise sales all stay the same, it doesn’t apply much pressure to ownership for change. I personally think the results this season were unacceptable, so as a true fan I won’t support this product. But like you, I will always be a fan.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think it's totally black and white. If you don't want to watch meaningless games. I get that. But if you're the kind of fan who will only be there when the team is successful, then disappear and jump ship when it's bad times, not really the kind of fan I would ever want to associate with

Reactions: GuitarGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad