News Article: FLAMES SEND QUALIFYING OFFERS TO 9 PLAYERS

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Massive? No.

Mistake? Probably.
I should clarify, maybe the contract itself isn’t a massive mistake, but continually blocking our homegrown talent from jobs would be.

Ryan in Calgary is probably a ~30 point guy (less offensive opportunity than Carolina), I have a hard time believing that guys like Klimchuk, Mangiapane, Dube, and Foo aren’t in that realm of production given the chance.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I should clarify, maybe the contract itself isn’t a massive mistake, but continually blocking our homegrown talent from jobs would be.

Ryan in Calgary is probably a ~30 point guy (less offensive opportunity than Carolina), I have a hard time believing that guys like Klimchuk, Mangiapane, Dube, and Foo aren’t in that realm of production given the chance.

Maybe... Except he's a C. He'd be great C depth as a 13th guy. I'd argue he's insurance in case the bottom C struggle (ie: Janko, Lazar, Bennett etc.) This isn't like a Tanner Glass situation, though arguably, the kids didn't beat him for a job. He wouldn't be blocking talent, he'd be mentoring them and insulating them.

I could see a vet for a 13th man. I think Ryan or Stajan or Shore could be the candidates they're looking at right now. You don't put a prospect in as the 13th man. Waste of a talent.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

If you know a guy will produce 30+ points on the third or fourth line, honestly you sign that guy to 1.5x3 as fast as possible, because we didn’t have one single 30 point player in our bottom 6 last year. Repeatable or not, he would’ve been our 5th highest scoring forward by a landslide and almost put up as many points as Ferland and Backlund

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Maybe... Except he's a C. He'd be great C depth as a 13th guy. I'd argue he's insurance in case the bottom C struggle (ie: Janko, Lazar, Bennett etc.) This isn't like a Tanner Glass situation, though arguably, the kids didn't beat him for a job. He wouldn't be blocking talent, he'd be mentoring them and insulating them.

I could see a vet for a 13th man. I think Ryan or Stajan or Shore could be the candidates they're looking at right now. You don't put a prospect in as the 13th man. Waste of a talent.
I don’t mind that at all. In fact, I’m in favour of a Ryan signing for those reasons. Yet, I don’t think you give a guy like that anymore than a couple years.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Maybe I'm just a dreamer but I have high hopes for our home grown talent. Not ready to right them off just yet by bringing in an outside bottom 6 player or two. Save some spots for our own players. One of the biggest things that pissed me off last season was Glass and Stewart taking up spots, for the longest time, that could have been filled by deserving players from Stockton.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Nah, they wont be...even Bennett and Jankowski didnt score 30 pts last year. 30 pts is decent for a bottom 6 player.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Nah, they wont be...even Bennett and Jankowski didnt score 30 pts last year. 30 pts is decent for a bottom 6 player.
Of course it is, but I don’t see why you would give any bottom six player, let alone a 31 year old, more than a couple years when you’ve got a good group of young forwards coming up. It makes no sense to me. I like the mention of Versteeg, we didn’t give Versteeg multi-year deals, so why give Ryan one?

Additionally, let’s call a spade a spade here, every member of our 3rd line will likely put up at least 30. That’s the effect of adding Lindholm and probably another top 6 forward, pushing guys down.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Maybe I'm just a dreamer but I have high hopes for our home grown talent. Not ready to right them off just yet by bringing in an outside bottom 6 player or two. Save some spots for our own players. One of the biggest things that pissed me off last season was Glass and Stewart taking up spots, for the longest time, that could have been filled by deserving players from Stockton.

Stewart, I dunno as we grabbed him off waivers during the season. But Fanner Glass played like a legit middle 6 winger in comparison to most of the roster in preseason. I think Treliving's hands were sorta tied on that one. Not rewarding superior play like that would be a very bad thing to do for future UFA. So I'd argue the kids were sadly not deserving over Tanner Glass.

EDIT: One thing to consider is that Stockton's centre depth is badly depleted. I want to see Tre prop up that roster with some centre man that the players can learn from and rely on.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Shore and Shinkaruk are definitely surprising. Think they try to re-sign Shore shortly though; Treliving seems to like avoiding arbitration

And man what a terrible pick Hunter Smith was, especially given the names that went right after. Burke was a horrible drafter (and yeah, he basically confirmed it was his pick based on the drafting strategies he described at the draft)

Was a dud to begin with. A pick I truly never understood.
I understand drafting a guy like Andrew Mangiapane, an over-ager, but a guy who put up 104 points in junior... versus a plug like Hunter Smith with the 54th overall. A guy who's 19 years old, built like a man, playing in junior, and can't break anywhere near PPG is a worthless pick on a forward.

I think he'll get Shore upped this week before the 1st, he's just a great fit for the 4th line (Righty C0.

Sad to see Emile go. Really hope he finds a career elsewhere. It's sad what alcohol and drug abuse can do. This guy had a very promising NHL career.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
However, with how things have worked out so far, I am wondering if Poirier actually wants to go and play closer to home. He played well in Adirondack (close to home), but apparently did poorly in Stockton (nearly as far away from home from Montreal as you could go in North America).

Sad. I was hoping we could swing something around Poirier's rights+ for Rychel who also I think could use a change of scenery/closer to home and is a coveted 2013 meme.

I wanted Rychel so bad at 22nd OA. I remember watching him shoot the puck and thinking he looked like Ovechkin. Boy was I wrong :laugh:

Reactions: Fig

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Of course it is, but I don’t see why you would give any bottom six player, let alone a 31 year old, more than a couple years when you’ve got a good group of young forwards coming up. It makes no sense to me. I like the mention of Versteeg, we didn’t give Versteeg multi-year deals, so why give Ryan one?

Additionally, let’s call a spade a spade here, every member of our 3rd line will likely put up at least 30. That’s the effect of adding Lindholm and probably another top 6 forward, pushing guys down.
Versteeg had injury issues so no team in the league would offer him term. It's not a similar situation. Ryan very well may be similar to Versteeg though in the sense that he's good enough to help teams during playoff runs, but not good (or unique) enough to pay what he's worth with term, so he'll be constantly moved.

Our team was also below 50% on faceoffs. Ryan is very good at them (and Peters believes faceoffs are of massive importance). Him and Lindholm will help us improve on that.

I don't know anything about this Derek guy, but just from stats and hearsay, he'd be a massive upgrade to our bottom 6.

That said, I would absolutely prefer to see someone like Dube, Foo, Mangiapane, etc step in and take that role. I think with signing Ryan, at the VERY least, you'd have a 30 point center on the 4th line. Better than last year. Best case, he's in Stockton grooming our other prospects.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We don't have any Cs left on Stockton to call up, Dube is a winger, not a C. We also lack any RHS forwards down there after Foo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad