News Article: FLAMES SEND QUALIFYING OFFERS TO 9 PLAYERS

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I thought they had pretty well penciled Shore in to take Stajan's place as center on the 4th line but perhaps they are going in a different direction... particularly since the QO would have to be almost a $1,000,000.
Perhaps they will go with Lazar as the 4th line center?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I thought they had pretty well penciled Shore in to take Stajan's place as center on the 4th line but perhaps they are going in a different direction... particularly since the QO would have to be almost a $1,000,000.
Perhaps they will go with Lazar as the 4th line center?
He could still re-sign. His QO would have been 971,250 and he has arbitration rights. Seems similar to the Paul Byron situation where he wasn't qualified and then re-signed

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Shore and Shinkaruk are definitely surprising. Think they try to re-sign Shore shortly though; Treliving seems to like avoiding arbitration

And man what a terrible pick Hunter Smith was, especially given the names that went right after. Burke was a horrible drafter (and yeah, he basically confirmed it was his pick based on the drafting strategies he described at the draft)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrano

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
I think they'll still sign Shore. I liked what I saw from him when he played, so I hope they bring him back.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Weird about Shore, I still think he could be an average NHLer. Shinkaruk is the one that really puzzles me, and to a lesser extent Klimchuk. It's clear that Poirier and Smith were done with the Flames.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Weird about Shore, I still think he could be an average NHLer. Shinkaruk is the one that really puzzles me, and to a lesser extent Klimchuk. It's clear that Poirier and Smith were done with the Flames.

The NHL is transitioning to speed... Hand speed, foot speed, play making speed and so forth so the moves made make sense in that most of the slower players are being "transitioned" out.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Shore is like the Byron situation as others have said. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if this is another "flexibility" situation with Treliving. He hates arbitration IIRC and being majorly burned by Bouma didn't help. Bouma didn't even make it to arbitration.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
The NHL is transitioning to speed... Hand speed, foot speed, play making speed and so forth so the moves made make sense in that most of the slower players are being "transitioned" out.

I agree with you but I don't think it applies here. Poirier is an incredible skater.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Maybe it’s as simple as that they like Lazar at C more than wing? For me, I’ve felt Lazar has looked his best at C. If so, it isn’t super surprising. I do like Shore though, I hope he’s back.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Im not even sure we see Lazar as a regular next season.
Same here. I might try and even squeeze him through waivers at the end of preseason and see if he can find his game down there a bit. He’s a “fine” 4th liner in that he doesn’t hurt you, but we need to move away from just being “fine”.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I know nothing of this Derek Ryan guy. Can someone give me a quick update on what type of player he is and why we'd want him here?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I agree with you but I don't think it applies here. Poirier is an incredible skater.

However, with how things have worked out so far, I am wondering if Poirier actually wants to go and play closer to home. He played well in Adirondack (close to home), but apparently did poorly in Stockton (nearly as far away from home from Montreal as you could go in North America).

Sad. I was hoping we could swing something around Poirier's rights+ for Rychel who also I think could use a change of scenery/closer to home and is a coveted 2013 meme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->