Proposal: Flames Sell-off

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No need for this quite yet.
Calgary had a rough patch of 4 games. Outside of that, I've really liked them the rest of the season.

If Calgary can't figure it out, by the deadline, the players available will be:

TJ Brodie
Mark Jankowski
Mike Stone
Mike Smith
Derek Ryan
James Neal
Micheal Frolik

The players who could be available for an overpayment:

Sean Monahan
Travis Hamonic
Sam Bennett

The players who won't be made available outside of an absurd overpayment:

Johnny Gaudreau
Elias Lindholm
Noah Hanifin
Mark Giordano
Juuso Valimaki
Rasmus Andersson
Mikael Backlund

Players that will be untouchable:

Matt Tkachuk.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Backlund would be nice.

I haven’t watched them this year and much of the second half of last season, so I dunno how much gas he has left in the tank but if he could be a medium term solution then absolutely.

Although I would have to wonder about what the price tag would be if he hasn’t shown signs of starting to slowdown, and if we wouldn’t better off saving our assets for a blockbuster long-term-solution.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I haven’t watched them this year and much of the second half of last season, so I dunno how much gas he has left in the tank but if he could be a medium term solution then absolutely.

Although I would have to wonder about what the price tag would be and if we weren’t better off saving our assets for a blockbuster long-term-solution

Answer 1:
Still an elite defensive centre who can score 40-50 points a season. Tremendous shape and has shown no signs of slowing down.

Answer 2:
It would cost heavily, heavily to acquire Mikaal from Calgary. Like, not worth your time heavy.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Whats your offer?

Preferably Kerfoot + our 1st + 2020 2nd, though I’m guessing that the Flames would want the even younger Jost or Kaut to be substituted for Kerfoot...at the very least.

Short of Barrie, Makar or the Sens pick; I’m pretty open to using our assets for Backlund if he’s still got at least another ~4 years in the tank...as I really loved his game the last time I watched the flames regularly. But that was over a year and a half ago, so i dunno what they would want for him from Colorado *shrug*

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Answer 1:
Still an elite defensive centre who can score 40-50 points a season. Tremendous shape and has shown no signs of slowing down.

Answer 2:
It would cost heavily, heavily to acquire Mikaal from Calgary. Like, not worth your time heavy.

That’s what I figured would be the case if he hadn’t started to slowdown.

The Flames that are most interesting for the avs seem to be the ones that would require a king’s ransom and if we’re giving up a king’s ransom then there’s other targets that are even more interesting for us.

The only one I can sort of see making sense for both teams would be if your season really went terribly and the decision to reboot the rebuild was made...while the sen’s hot start rapidly evaporated...opening the door for a Gaudreau trade with that pick as the centerpiece alongside something like our first, Jost & some B-prospects/2nd round picks.

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No need for this quite yet.
Calgary had a rough patch of 4 games. Outside of that, I've really liked them the rest of the season.

If Calgary can't figure it out, by the deadline, the players available will be:

TJ Brodie
Mark Jankowski
Mike Stone
Mike Smith
Derek Ryan
James Neal
Micheal Frolik

The players who could be available for an overpayment:

Sean Monahan
Travis Hamonic
Sam Bennett

The players who won't be made available outside of an absurd overpayment:

Johnny Gaudreau
Elias Lindholm
Noah Hanifin
Mark Giordano
Juuso Valimaki
Rasmus Andersson
Mikael Backlund

Players that will be untouchable:

Matt Tkachuk.

Not really sure why you'd trade younger players like Monahan before older players like Backlund or Giordano. If you're going to revamp the rebuild, you keep a guy like Monahan.

Realistically though, the Flames just need more consistent goaltending.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Solid thread.... 5-5 record. A couple of points out of division lead.

The bigger problem is goaltending and not a fire sale into a rebuild.

This.
Anaheim is near the cap and has a backup goalie who is having a solid year who has shown before he can dominate.
Ryan Miller, 1 year left @2 million. Last 30 games has a .930.

Acquisition cost wont be too high id assume. Drop Smith to the AHL and let him get his grove back. Doubt anyone claims him, and if they do all the better.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If the Flames were in a position to blow it up, Gio would ba a huge asset for a contender. Asking price would be high though. IMO he is top 10-15 Dman in the league.
I know all of this - that's why I asked what the price is, ha ha. I should also probably ask what the price is to the Oilers, because I'd want them to go for him, ha ha.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Anyone asking for Tkachuk... I will personally fly/drive down to your location and backhand you for your dumb thought process. And then slap you again just to make sure you never think about asking for Tkachuk again.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Bennet has been decent this year. The logic is that he has a higher ceiling than what his previous play would indicate. You will have to overpay in order to get a player with said potential.

I'd be interested in Hamonic, again.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I think a guy like Nylander would fit right in with the flames as he would provide much needed offence. I'd want Tkachuk back though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Again, I'm aware of that. Which is why I'm curious about what type of overpayment the Oilers would need to come up with for Gio, if the Flames made him available.

Well, he’s not a pending UFA... and the Oilers wouldn’t be trading McD or Draisaitl...

I would go with:

2019 1st
2020 2nd
RNH
Sekera

For

Gio

That’s what I’d want. I’d want RNH to bump Backlund down to the 3rd line.

Flames can add a prospect/ mid pick if need be. Huuuge overpayment on the Oilers, I know, but we save you cap space and give a top 10-15 D in the league.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think a guy like Nylander would fit right in with the flames as he would provide much needed offence. I'd want Tkachuk back though.
And that’s when we hang until up. Tkachuk is staying with the team whether we are contending or rebuilding.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Outside of Matthews, not a single player gets me chubbed up enough to move Matty Tkachuk from Toronto. Maybe Tavares, because Flames desperately need an elite 1C; but outside of that, not Nylander, not Marner.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well, he’s not a pending UFA... and the Oilers wouldn’t be trading McD or Draisaitl...

I would go with:

2019 1st
2020 2nd
RNH
Sekera

For

Gio

That’s what I’d want. I’d want RNH to bump Backlund down to the 3rd line.

Flames can add a prospect/ mid pick if need be. Huuuge overpayment on the Oilers, I know, but we save you cap space and give a top 10-15 D in the league.

I don't think that's unreasonable in terms of value. I don't know if we have the forward depth to include Nuge, but I completely understand why the Flames would want that package. I would hope to pick up Gio without giving a key roster piece, as it would be to add for a playoff/cup run. Not sure if there is anywhere to meet in the middle without Nuge being involved.

Truthfully, I don't see these two teams ever moving a key player, but it would fix Edmonton's lack of 1D issue and that's what I'd like to see. He'd be a great mentor for Bouchard and Bear as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad