GDT: Flames season opener! San Jose Sharks @ Calgary Flames, 4:00PM on SNET-W and Fan 960

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
^^ That is why I suggested giving Arnott a look, but some moves would need to be made to fit him in. I wouldn't expect him to come in and score 50pts, but his presence in other areas would really help this team IMO.

Tangs Arnott Iggy
Baertschi Backlund Cammy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Stempniak Stajan Comeau

That at least gives us 2 good FO guys and we could roll 4 lines no problem.

As good as Arnott is in the FO circle, I can't see him keeping up with the other team and with Tangs+Iggy (as you suggested). I wouldn't mind him in a 3rd/4th line position, though.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Baertschi - Backlund - Iginla
Tanguay - Cammalleri - Glencross
Comeau - Stajan - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Obvious shuffling when Hudler/Cervenka return, but I'd like to see this. Iginla played better last season when he was on a line with Sven. Having two quicker guys in Sven and Backlund play with Iggy might get him going faster too.

Move Cammalleri back to center. It's not pretty but it's better than Tanguay. Tanguay is a great winger and we need to utilize that.

I think these lines are worth a shot. I like it because it gets GlenX off the top line. He is a great player but he really suffers against other teams top lines...

The only issue with those lines I see is a big question mark, if Backlund and Bart can both handle top line duty. They looked great together last night and I think Backlund should be tried with Iggy again, I am not sure Bart is ready though so I might swap Tanguay and Bart, even though they had great chemistry.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I thought as a plus that even while the team was struggling, with the exception of two or three shifts in the second, I noticed Backlund doing good things all night, and that breakaway he generated out of nothing in the first, that's the player I hope he becomes, or maintains or whatever, and I thought Baertschi did some really good things yesterday, and I thought his second penalty was an atrocious call. Final note, I think Jones should have been in, not Begin.

Does Irving play tonight?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I thought as a plus that even while the team was struggling, with the exception of two or three shifts in the second, I noticed Backlund doing good things all night, and that breakaway he generated out of nothing in the first, that's the player I hope he becomes, or maintains or whatever, and I thought Baertschi did some really good things yesterday, and I thought his second penalty was an atrocious call. Final note, I think Jones should have been in, not Begin.

Does Irving play tonight?

Backlund looked like a 1st line C last night. Good puck control, great scoring chances solid passing and decent on the backend.

Bart looked solid but seemed like he was not used to the pace yet. I think he will steadily get more comfortable over the next few games. Looked great teeing up Backlund a couple times.

I thought Begin was actually one of the brighter spots of last night. Played his role well and reminded me of Jackman a couple years ago. I think he was fine. If anything sit Jackman and add Jones at center and move Begin over. With Comeau - Jones - Begin that is a lot of scoring ability for a 4th line and a lot of grit as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
As good as Arnott is in the FO circle, I can't see him keeping up with the other team and with Tangs+Iggy (as you suggested). I wouldn't mind him in a 3rd/4th line position, though.

Arnott recorded 34pts last season playing 3rd line minutes. I like him because of his size, FO ability, and he has the hockey smarts to play with Iggy and Tangs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 34 pts in this shortened season playing on our top line.

He would cost us next to nothing to add, and if anything he would be adding another guy that can win 50% on draws.

I think we'll be fine once Hudler and Cervenka come back, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing Arnott even though his best days are behind him.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Arnott recorded 34pts last season playing 3rd line minutes. I like him because of his size, FO ability, and he has the hockey smarts to play with Iggy and Tangs. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 34 pts in this shortened season playing on our top line.

He would cost us next to nothing to add, and if anything he would be adding another guy that can win 50% on draws.

I think we'll be fine once Hudler and Cervenka come back, but I wouldn't be opposed to signing Arnott even though his best days are behind him.

Absolutley! Big body, smart in his own end and wins draws. For what it will cost in term this is a great idea for this season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Absolutley! Big body, smart in his own end and wins draws. For what it will cost in term this is a great idea for this season.

The only issue I really have with this is who gets bumped off the lineup?

We could obviously bench Begin and Jones and put Stajan on the 4th line....

Tangs - Cammy - Iginla
Glenx - Cervenka - Hudler
Bart - Backlund - Stemps
Comeau - Stajan - Jackman

I don't see who you take out of the lineup to add Arnott....

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The only issue I really have with this is who gets bumped off the lineup?

We could obviously bench Begin and Jones and put Stajan on the 4th line....

Tangs - Cammy - Iginla
Glenx - Cervenka - Hudler
Bart - Backlund - Stemps
Comeau - Stajan - Jackman

I don't see who you take out of the lineup to add Arnott....

I would dump either stemps or jackman in his favour and use him as our 4th or 3rd line C. When we need a FO win on our 1st line he goes out with the big guys. Use him on the PP as well.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I would dump either stemps or jackman in his favour and use him as our 4th or 3rd line C. When we need a FO win on our 1st line he goes out with the big guys. Use him on the PP as well.

Ok, but who plays 4th line LW then? Keeping in mind Stajan is god awful on the wing.

Tangs - Cammy - Iginla
(Keep B&B together) Bart - Backlund - Hudler
GlenX - Arnott - Cervenka
Comeau - Stajan - Stemps

I actually really like that checking line....feel bad for Stemps and Stajan though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->