GDT: Flames season opener! San Jose Sharks @ Calgary Flames, 4:00PM on SNET-W and Fan 960

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
They were our shutdown line they weren't terrible at it I would prefer when Hudler comes back I would put Hudler on the 1st line and Glencross on the third line if we are going to use them as a shutdown line.

With Hudler and Cervenka back into the line-up, I would have the following roster:

Cammy - Stajan - Iginla
Baerstchi - Backlund - Tangs
Hudler - Cervenka - Stempniak
Comeau - Begin - Jackman

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I'm also confused with the Wideman hate, he had his bad moments yes, but other than that, it's really refreshing to have a defenseman with offensive prowess on the team. When he sets up and how fast he can release his one-timer, you can see how much better offensively he is compared to anyone we've had since Dion.

Same, I think Wideman will create a lot of offence for us this year while being more than adequate defensively.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What did you do with Glencross?

Whoops, I knew something didn't look right. Maybe run with 4 scoring lines?

Cammy - Stajan - Iginla
Baerstchi - Backlund - Comeau
Glencross - Horak/Jones - Tangs

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Cammy - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Jones - Tangs

Sorry I hate that if we are going to keep Tangs at center then

Hudler - Tangs - Iginla
Cammy - Stajan - Glencross
Baerstchi - Backlund - Cervenka
Comeau - Jones - Jackman

if we switch tangs from center (please)

Tangs - Stajan - Iginla
Cammy - Cervenka - Hudler (I like this line would be amazing)
Baerstchi - Backlund - Glencross
Comeau - Jones - Jackman

both lineups Stemps swaps in every few games to keep fresh legs in.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Doesnt matter what order you put lines in, what matters is minutes. A 4th line isn't a 4th line if they play 15 mins - 20 mins. So what's 4 lines running at 15 minutes each?

If anything, I'd run Baerstchi - Backlund - X as the fourth line because they should get sheltered minutes

This can't be hard. We have 8 wingers capable of being top 6 if you believe Comeau when he says he'll be better this year. Now throw in some centers and call it a day.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Sorry I hate that if we are going to keep Tangs at center then

Hudler - Tangs - Iginla
Cammy - Stajan - Glencross
Baerstchi - Backlund - Cervenka
Comeau - Jones - Jackman

if we switch tangs from center (please)

Tangs - Stajan - Iginla
Cammy - Cervenka - Hudler (I like this line would be amazing)
Baerstchi - Backlund - Glencross
Comeau - Jones - Jackman

both lineups Stemps swaps in every few games to keep fresh legs in.

You hate my idea but you just benched last nights best Flame?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Doesnt matter what order you put lines in, what matters is minutes. A 4th line isn't a 4th line if they play 15 mins - 20 mins. So what's 4 lines running at 15 minutes each?

If anything, I'd run Baerstchi - Backlund - X as the fourth line because they should get sheltered minutes

This can't be hard. We have 8 wingers capable of being top 6 if you believe Comeau when he says he'll be better this year. Now throw in some centers and call it a day.

Seriously?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
My lineup would look like this

Alex Tanguay - Mike Cammalleri - Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross - Roman Cervenka - Jiri Hudler
Sven Baertschi - Mikael Backlund - Lee Stempniak
Blake Comeau - Matt Stajan - Blair Jones

Extra's - Tim Jackman, Steve Begin

The bottom five can all rotate in and out of the lineup depending on who we are facing. Tanguay is much better suited at the wing position in my opinion.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I'm also confused with the Wideman hate, he had his bad moments yes, but other than that, it's really refreshing to have a defenseman with offensive prowess on the team. When he sets up and how fast he can release his one-timer, you can see how much better offensively he is compared to anyone we've had since Dion.

Also, how great was it to see Bouwmeester rushing the puck, he never played like that under Sutter. Ever. I liked all the movement we had from the back end tonight.

I was impressed with Bouwmeester tonight, even getting a bit into it with Burish was a bit refreshing. That said, I thought Wideman was very 'meh' in this game, but I think we'll see improvements. Our three most used D-men tonight were Gio, Bouwmeester and Wideman, and only one of them had a decent/good game.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

Cammy - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Horak/Jones - Tangs

I used to hate on Stajan with a vengeance until he was bumped up to the top lines last season out of necessity and realized how good he could play if paired with the right players. I wouldn't mind seeing him play on the top two lines again.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My lineup would look like this

Alex Tanguay - Mike Cammalleri - Jarome Iginla
Curtis Glencross - Roman Cervenka - Jiri Hudler
Sven Baertschi - Mikael Backlund - Lee Stempniak
Blake Comeau - Matt Stajan - Blair Jones

Extra's - Tim Jackman, Steve Begin

The bottom five can all rotate in and out of the lineup depending on who we are facing. Tanguay is much better suited at the wing position in my opinion.

This is probably my favorite line-up anyone's posted. But we'll see soon enough how it goes. Little to say, Flames have a tad too much mid talent center depth; should turn around and move some of these guys; just to free up roster space and maybe get something back.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

No, the Flames need their top players to perform, not a bunch of guys that maybe can play top 6.

Mix top players with fringe players and hope they can perform is a bad idea unless you have superstars to carry them....The flames do not have any superstar ..not even Iginla...he cant carry anybody any more.

But i understand the problem...It's bad when your first and forth line players are interchangable.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Baertschi - Backlund - Iginla

Make it happen.

Tanguay - Cammalleri - Glencross
Comeau - Stajan - Stempniak
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Obvious shuffling when Hudler/Cervenka return, but I'd like to see this. Iginla played better last season when he was on a line with Sven. Having two quicker guys in Sven and Backlund play with Iggy might get him going faster too.

Move Cammalleri back to center. It's not pretty but it's better than Tanguay. Tanguay is a great winger and we need to utilize that.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Begin - Jones - Jackman

Obvious shuffling when Hudler/Cervenka return, but I'd like to see this. Iginla played better last season when he was on a line with Sven. Having two quicker guys in Sven and Backlund play with Iggy might get him going faster too.

Move Cammalleri back to center. It's not pretty but it's better than Tanguay. Tanguay is a great winger and we need to utilize that.

Tanguay just doesn't work at center.. He was playing like a winger on that 2nd goal leaving Havlat all alone

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
In other news, Cervenka is going to see the hematologist today so hopefully we get some good news and he comes back in the near future.. As for Hudler, im sure we are going to hear some news on him today as to whether or not hell be in the line-up for tonights game

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Begin - Jones - Jackman

This is what I would do with the top 6. Brutal effort in front of our own net during the 2nd, and surprise! We can't win a FO. This will likely continue to haunt the flames through the season. We need bigger bodies with a mean streak, the way we let guys like Marleau sit in front of the net is embarrassing. The same problems that plagued us last year were evident in game 1.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
This is what I would do with the top 6. Brutal effort in front of our own net during the 2nd, and surprise! We can't win a FO. This will likely continue to haunt the flames through the season. We need bigger bodies with a mean streak, the way we let guys like Marleau sit in front of the net is embarrassing. The same problems that plagued us last year were evident in game 1.

I think Iggy was decent at the dot considering he was up against one of the best faceoff men in the game (Joe Thornton).. Backlund couldn't seem to win a faceoff and Stajan was probably our best faceoff man. All in all we definitely need improvement here :help:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
^^ That is why I suggested giving Arnott a look, but some moves would need to be made to fit him in. I wouldn't expect him to come in and score 50pts, but his presence in other areas would really help this team IMO.

Tangs Arnott Iggy
Baertschi Backlund Cammy
Glencross Cervenka Hudler
Stempniak Stajan Comeau

That at least gives us 2 good FO guys and we could roll 4 lines no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->