GDT: Flames season opener! San Jose Sharks @ Calgary Flames, 4:00PM on SNET-W and Fan 960

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Flames couldn't finish. Should've been 4-3 Flames

The ability to finish is a skill that good teams have.

There is a reason why some players score 30 goals and others can't buy a goal.

The Flames have been below average in "finishing" for quite a while now.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
We were good when we had the puck and considering that we only gained possession from the draw 1/3 of the time, we had decent defensive pressure. We just need to win faceoffs

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Well we got a back to back so theres no point in dwelling.. Tommorows a huge game as going 0-2-0 is not a good sign coming out of the gate.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Roy sucks. C'mon the Flames are soft enough as it is. I'm almost more ashamed of that fact than their poor performances lately. Calgary's never been a team of Roy's and Ribeiro's and hopefully never will. Like stoner was saying, the team needs to hit more, like they used to do. The Flames should always aspire to be a tough team as well as a good team.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Roy sucks. C'mon the Flames are soft enough as it is. I'm almost more ashamed of that fact than their poor performances lately. Calgary's never been a team of Roy's and Ribeiro's and hopefully never will. Like stoner was saying, the team needs to hit more, like they used to do. The Flames should always aspire to be a tough team as well as a good team.

Can he take faceoffs? that seems to be our main concern right now :laugh:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Yea the 2nd period was very disappointing.

I knew when Baertschi had that open net and hit the post that was coming back to haunt us.

Don't understand the Wideman hate. Thought he looked good and it's finally nice to have a right hand shot with some power after watching Sarich's flubbers all these years.

Glencross & Cammalleri - awful

Tanguay & Iginla - okay, Tangs had a few dandy plays and Iggy was just too slow with his hands or could of had at least one.

Not sure who sits tomorrow, Smith out, Brodie in. Hudler in, maybe Horak out but he was decent.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
im thinking something similar but we need big wingers, we have patrick Sieloff as a future regehr he could as fill part of a need of being harder to play against.

i liked how backlund played in the 1st, he actually looked like what we thought he was going to be and if he keeps that up he'll be a 60 point center/winger (in a typical 82 game season)

Bartschi NEEDS experience, took 2 poor penalties.

all in all i liked the style that hartley is going for i just hope he can keep it up

I like Sieloff a lot, I always really like Wotherspoon as a shutdown guy, but these guys don't project to be top pairing guys IMO. We need a stud shutdown guy, someone mean yet skilled. There are guys like that in draft like Pulock and Nurse. I think that's a perfect situation if we can't grab a Drouin or Monahan type center. Also the D in this crop seem to be more NHL ready than usual; they're all pretty big and mentally mature. We grab one of these guys and our blueline improves significantly IMO.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Not too worried about the result. Cmon guys, this was the first game with a new coach and brand new players, it's going to take time. Obviously it's going to take time to break habits (playing poorly in the 2nd period) but no need to call off the season already. (some already have)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I'm also confused with the Wideman hate, he had his bad moments yes, but other than that, it's really refreshing to have a defenseman with offensive prowess on the team. When he sets up and how fast he can release his one-timer, you can see how much better offensively he is compared to anyone we've had since Dion.

Also, how great was it to see Bouwmeester rushing the puck, he never played like that under Sutter. Ever. I liked all the movement we had from the back end tonight.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
After seeing what I saw, I would have the following line-up:

Cammy - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Tangs - Stempniak
Baerstchi - Backlund - Comeau
Jones - Begin - Jackman

We certainly needed to win face-offs and gain possession to be effective. Tangs shouldn't be challenging the best face-off centers in the league.

The Baerstchi/Backlund line was too small and lack strength. Add a physical machine like Comeau, who has proven to have offensive abilities in the past, that line could hold the puck for longer than one fancy play.

I wouldn't change the defensive line-up. Obviously Jbo and Giordano need to face the best players on the ice.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Not too worried about the result. Cmon guys, this was the first game with a new coach and brand new players, it's going to take time. Obviously it's going to take time to break habits (playing poorly in the 2nd period) but no need to call off the season already. (some already have)

Yep the Flyers should sell too because they are 0-2.

Maybe we can swing a 10 player deal with them.

If we are say 5-8-2 after 15 games then I would want Feaster to start looking at moving guys like Comeau, Sarich, Stajan for draft picks before the inevitable deadline blow up.

But give it some time first.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
After seeing what I saw, I would have the following line-up:

Cammy - Stajan - Iginla
Glencross - Tangs - Stempniak
Baerstchi - Backlund - Comeau
Jones - Begin - Jackman

We certainly needed to win face-offs and gain possession to be effective. Tangs shouldn't be challenging the best face-off centers in the league.

The Baerstchi/Backlund line was too small and lack strength. Add a physical machine like Comeau, who has proven to have offensive abilities in the past, that line could hold the puck for longer than one fancy play.

I wouldn't change the defensive line-up. Obviously Jbo and Giordano need to face the best players on the ice.

Comeau is an intriguing guy because of his physical tools. Him on RW with two left handed playmakers could be good. I like the idea, call up Hartley and pitch it!

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005

THE RANGERS ARE 0-2 AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013 entry draft:

Calgary - Jones
NY Rangers - MacKinnon
Philly - Drouin

Yeah Baby!!!!!!!

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I know its only one game, but I don't think we should move Stempniak lower than the third line with a healthy roster. Stajan is obviously the odd man out here

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I know its only one game, but I don't think we should move Stempniak lower than the third line with a healthy roster. Stajan is obviously the odd man out here

Stajan didn't have a bad game. He wasn't noticable mind you.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Stajan didn't have a bad game. He wasn't noticable mind you.

Not to hate on Stajan in anyway but If we have a full roster it would probably look something like:

Glencross-Tanguay-Iginla
Baerstchi-Backlund-Cammalleri
Hudler-Cervenka-Stempniak
Comeau-Stajan-Jackman

I would see our top 9 along those lines, so even though Stajan was decent id rather keep Stempniak in the top 9.. obviously its one game in and this opinion can change quickly

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Jokinen. We just let him walk.

He struck me as a hard guy to like and the reports of the team not getting along off the ice lead me to believe that he was let go more for the locker room than his play. He was decent here but if the team gels they could be better without him. I also don't think he would be good in a high pace offense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That one sucked, take 5 mins out that game, and a bad call on Butler and we have a win. Oh well, they didn't come to play in the second.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->