Flames record this year when Sven scratched?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Is it just me or have the Flames lost every game they have scratched Baertschi in this year? It also seems like they score fewer goals than their average when he is out (even if he isn't really producing).

I would be interested to see the numbers.

I can't help but wonder if the coach is feeling extra pressure to be extra hard on him because Burke unloaded on him earlier?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is it just me or have the Flames lost every game they have scratched Baertschi in this year? It also seems like they score fewer goals than their average when he is out (even if he isn't really producing).

I would be interested to see the numbers.

I can't help but wonder if the coach is feeling extra pressure to be extra hard on him because Burke unloaded on him earlier?

Numbers are three games scratched, two 5-1 losses and a 3-2 loss. You are not wrong.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
3 game sample size is hardly enough to determine if its a trend.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
3 game sample size is hardly enough to determine if its a trend.

Especially when the team, has been floating around at or below .500 for most of the season. If a team is more likely to lose any given game than win it, it's hard to attribute a loss to a player's absence. Especially a skater, and especially when he averages third line minutes.

That said, it would be poetic if the Flames did lose every game in which a player was undeservedly scratched or relegated to minimal minutes.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Especially when the team, has been floating around at or below .500 for most of the season. If a team is more likely to lose any given game than win it, it's hard to attribute a loss to a player's absence. Especially a skater, and especially when he averages third line minutes.

Well, now, when Baertschi is in the lineup, we are statistically more likely to win than get a regulation loss. ;)

It's only with the addition of the Svenless games that we have a losing record.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Well, now, when Baertschi is in the lineup, we are statistically more likely to win than get a regulation loss. ;)

It's only with the addition of the Svenless games that we have a losing record.

So you're saying if we clone him, the Flames are a potential cup contender? Sold!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think it is pretty obvious that Jackman is a downgrade over Sven so it isn't really surprising that we do worse without Sven.

Sven has been disappointing for me but he has always been streaky, he has so much talent I can see why we haven't sent him down but want more.

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Saying we are losing 5-1 games because of Sven is a cop out. His 3rd line minutes wouldn't change the entire complexion of the game, unless you truly believe in the Butterfly Effect.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Saying we are losing 5-1 games because of Sven is a cop out. His 3rd line minutes wouldn't change the entire complexion of the game, unless you truly believe in the Butterfly Effect.

I think people are being facetious, but it's entirely plausible that those losses might've been 5-2 or 4-1 with Baertschi in for Jackman or McGrattan.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think people are being facetious, but it's entirely plausible that those losses might've been 5-2 or 4-1 with Baertschi in for Jackman or McGrattan.
Also entirely plausible that those losses might have been 6-1 or 5-0 with him too. If we are going to play the what if game it does work both ways.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Honestly, I think people are also ignoring the more important effect of start time.

The Flames are a startling 1-4-1 in games between 6:00 and 6:59, while posting a much more respectable 2-0-1 mark in games earlier than 6:00. We are 1-3 in 8:00 games, while being undefeated if those games are pushed back by a half-hour.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
BUMP

Again, not trying to be an idiot or look for something that isn't there but it seems like the Flames have scored at a much lower pace since SB was sent down. Monahan hasn't produced as well as he did earlier (sometimes on a line with Sven) either.

Yes? No?

Aug 3, 2010
BUMP

Again, not trying to be an idiot or look for something that isn't there but it seems like the Flames have scored at a much lower pace since SB was sent down. Monahan hasn't produced as well as he did earlier (sometimes on a line with Sven) either.

Yes? No?
Look at the rest of the line-up before bothering to bump an old thread where a rookie who is/was struggling to find his offence would impact the team game heavily.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd say the injury to Glencross is impacting the team in a much more negative way.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Flames with two wins in ten games since Sven was sent down. I love this thread. :laugh:

Wow. Certainly noteworthy.

Depth is important. One more weapon down the line causes the opposition to spread their defensive focus. Maybe that extra danger Sven brings creates a ripple effect?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Wow. Certainly noteworthy.

Depth is important. One more weapon down the line causes the opposition to spread their defensive focus. Maybe that extra danger Sven brings creates a ripple effect?
1-4-0 and been shutout 3 times since Glencross was injured most recently. 2-2-2 record in the 6 games between his 2 injuries. 5-10-0 during his first injury.

So that means on the season the Flames are 6-14-0 without Glencross and 8-7-6 with him in the lineup.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't honestly think Sven was the difference between winning or losing games, but the fact that his absence on the team coincides with losses brings me weird masochistic pleasure.

Also, the depth argument has merit. With Sven and Glencross off, and goons on the 3rd line, there is definitely an argument for their absence having some effect (just likely not enough to actually change the Flames' record unless it's one game here or there).

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I don't honestly think Sven was the difference between winning or losing games, but the fact that his absence on the team coincides with losses brings me weird masochistic pleasure.

Also, the depth argument has merit. With Sven and Glencross off, and goons on the 3rd line, there is definitely an argument for their absence having some effect (just likely not enough to actually change the Flames' record unless it's one game here or there).

Top 4 blueliners often go up against 3rd line guys because they log so much more ice time than top 6 forwards. Bouma and Galiardi isn't that much more work for a top 4 because even with a little more time and space, Bouma and Galiardi won't finish.

Now if we had players who are dangerous, this stretches the focus of opposition, giving our top line more time and space.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Sven is a definite weapon defences would need to watch because he can create offence, but I simply don't think his game is NHL ready. It's best for him long term to stay where he is and really learn how to be a threat at a high level in the pros and his defensive game needs work to.

We just need to suck up the suck haha. I would like to see an offensive player called up though, like Granlund or even Hanowski/Knight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad