Confirmed with Link: Flames re-sign Rittich ($725k/$110k) and Gillies ($725k/$95k) to 1-year, 2-way deals

Aug 3, 2010
Gotta say that Gillies team photo looks ages away from when he was first drafted as a gangly teenager. Has some surprising thickness about him especially for a goaltender.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Will be interesting to see if Gillies can seperate himself from Rittich this year.
Rittich had an impressive season and is very underrated by many. Infact after Gillies was pulled in the 2nd playoff game Rittich stole the net until he got hurt in the last game. (Gillies then came in & stood on his head).

These 2 are much closer than a few want to believe, but I too still have hope that Gillies can take that next step. It will be an important year for both, as I don't see us resigning each of them at years end.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
A shame Rittich may not have a shot in the NHL. That is, unless one of Lack or Smith gets injured but that's about it.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
A shame Rittich may not have a shot in the NHL. That is, unless one of Lack or Smith gets injured but that's about it.

Or falter. And lack is a bit of a wild card in terms of the season he had last year. So the opportunity has a possibility of being there.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Really not sure what we have in Rittich.
Goalies are fickle things where you're really not sure how good someone is until they actually hit the professional ice.

I like what Gillies showed in his 1 game appearance last year; I know it's the smallest sample size really possible, but he didn't do himself any disfavours the way he played.

Rittich might end up being a really good backup for Calgary, or he may be another Reto Berra that comes with high hopes and then can't stick to any team and you're kind of stuck wondering what you have.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think both are good enough to get some games for the NHL this season. And unless Lack absolutely steals the show for us, one of them is probably gonna be Smith's backup in 18-19.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Rittich has a slightly better agent?

No, I did some more reading -- looks like Gillies has $110k guaranteed to him, which means that if he spends the entire season in the AHL, the Flames will cut him a cheque for $15k at the end of the season. They'll make sure he gets up to at least $110k, but it won't be hard to do -- all he has to do is stay up on the NHL club for 4 days to meet that threshold. Gillies will still get paid a $95k salary on a per-day basis in the AHL, though, while Rittich will be paid a $110k salary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Curious. They'll both make $725k in the NHL, but while Gillies will make $95k in the AHL, Rittich will make $110k.

With Rittich there is more of a risk of defecting back to Europe had his AHL salary not been as appealing to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad