Confirmed with Link: Flames re-sign Bennett 2 years $1.95M AAV

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, Cap Hell is a bit excessive, but it might take a little juggling for sure.

Same needs a new nickname, how about "1.95 AAV Sam Bennett"?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We will have $28.5M in projected cap space for 2019/2020, and that is without factoring in cap growth.

We will need to have signed:
1 starting goalie (Parsons or Gillies),
1 backup goalie (Parsons or Gillies or UFA),
1 #6D. Take your pick,
1 #4C. Again take your pick,
1 Winger (to replace Versteeg),
1 Extra forward (replace Familton)

^^ All of the above can be replaced with ELC/post ELC contracts. Cost should be around 4-6M.

That leaves:
Backlund will need to have been re-signed the prior year. Lets be generous and say 6M.

Leaves us with about 17.5M + Cap growth. Lets say cap grows 2M. For 19.5M in space.

Then: Ferland, Lazar, Tkachuk and Bennett signed or replaced.

That gives us almost 5M for each of them. Even if both Bennett and Tkachuk became 1st line players and we have to pay them both 7M each (very unlikely).

Leaves us with about 5.5M to sign Ferland and Lazar or their replacements.

The hysteria over our cap situation is entirely overblown and not based in reality.

It all hinges on our goaltending. If Gillies/Parsons aren't ready and we go the UFA route again, I have a feeling we won't be looking at a stopgap this time around which could cost us around 4 million.

Personally, I'm not as optimistic or enamored with our future goaltending situation as other Flames fans are. And we still have to prepare for a Brodie extension and possibly a Hamonic one the following year if our prospects aren't ready (and while we do have a glut of young Dmen, I still question our prospect development). Some pretty big "ifs" have to go our way to ensure we remain in a good competitive and cap position

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It all hinges on our goaltending. If Gillies/Parsons aren't ready and we go the UFA route again, I have a feeling we won't be looking at a stopgap this time around which could cost us around 4 million.

Personally, I'm not as optimistic or enamored with our future goaltending situation as other Flames fans are. And we still have to prepare for a Brodie extension and possibly a Hamonic one the following year if our prospects aren't ready (and while we do have a glut of young Dmen, I still question our prospect development). Some pretty big "ifs" have to go our way to ensure we remain in a good competitive and cap position

Sure, I think it's a tad optimistic that one of Gilles or Parsons will be ready to be a #1 Tendy in two years. But I also think one of Brodie or Hamonic gets moved once one of Fox, Valimaki, Anderssen, Kylington proves they are top 4 ready which opens up some space too. Or maybe Gio even?

If we don't get at least one top 4 D our of our current crop of prospects, we are ****ed long term.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary

You need to assume that at least some of your prospects pan out. Obviously if none of them do this teams window will shut really quickly and that isn't avoidable. No team can remain successful without graduating prospects (unless you're the Pens and have 2 generational talents and even they graduated some decent players).

That won't be a cap failure that will be a drafting and development failure.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
So happy Sam is signed, really hope he breaks out this year. Now i'm gonna go watch his fight with Trouba again.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not bad, would of liked to see another year or two personally but that AAV is gonna look good once he breaks 50pts. Now Gulutzan needs to give him the opportunity to do that.. More special teams time, better wingers, more OZS, and Sam needs to respond by stepping his game up.

What I really like about this and Ferland's contracts is there is a lot of inherent incentive to get better.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This just means that Bennett is still in playoff mode.

Don't shave it, Bennett. Not until you win the cup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
dkjHiEX.png

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I honestly cannot see there being a possibility he doesn't have a monster season after seeing that beard. And I am being like 93% serious too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->