Confirmed with Link: Flames re-sign Bennett 2 years $1.95M AAV

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good, good.

Really nice to have this done before camp so there is zero effect on WhamBamSam's preparation for what is a very important year for him.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Happy the signing is done, but man 3 years would've been so much better. Now in 2 years Bennett, Tkachuk & Ferland will be up. Oh well, I'm just happy this didn't stretch into training camp.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Nice! Slightly less than I thought. Which is not too much :laugh:

Can we sign Jagr now? thanks

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Again, there is a ton of flexibility with this deal. If we can't then re-sign him, we can trade him then. But in the mean time, we get two more years of him at a very low price, which will allow us to be very competitive and aggressive during these two years.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Cheap as ****. Would've preferred that third year but this is an okay trade-off.

Mostly I'm just happy this is done and won't be a sideshow at camp.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
At some point in the next two years, Bennett needs to spend at least 40 straight games in the top 6, whether it's on wing or covering for injury at C. Once the bridge is up there can't be any doubt left about his ability. If he does only end up as a 3rd line C (he really, really shouldn't) that needs to be proven before the next round of negotiations.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Good. Ideally the Flames start developing some talent so Bennett can get some better wingers.

Or convert Backlund to a full time shut down center and let Bennett take over offensively.

In theory, if the Flames ever managed to address their seriously subpar developmental system:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Bennett-Foo
Klimchuk/Mangiapane-Backlund-Frolik

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Stajan, Smith and our buyouts off the books by then, cap will probably be up a couple million. Bennett gets something like 4m, Tkachuk gets 6m. Not too worried.

With the way the contract values are trending, a $4m contract in two years may not be much different from a $2m contract this year. If in two years Bennett is only a $4m player, it might be time we go in a different direction.

This contract to me says, he's either going to be a $6m+ player on his next deal, or not a Flame.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Tkachuk - Monahan - Gaudreau
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr
Brouwer - Stajan - Lazar

Sorry Janks. You'll be the first callup though.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
At some point in the next two years, Bennett needs to spend at least 40 straight games in the top 6, whether it's on wing or covering for injury at C. Once the bridge is up there can't be any doubt left about his ability. If he does only end up as a 3rd line C (he really, really shouldn't) that needs to be proven before the next round of negotiations.

I'm not sure the book would be written on Sam before he is 24/25.

However I think the MOST important thing this team can do this season as far as a way to get Sam going, is top PP minutes. Unless we sign Jagr he should be playing with the best unit and get him going. Him on the wing with JG/Monahan, along with 3M is fine for PP.

IF Jagr does sign, then throw Tkachuk on the LW of Jagr and Sam for the 2 PP, then come out with 3M after a power play while the other team rests its PK players.

In a way, Sam kind of needs to be gifted some linemates and opportunity. He's not yet ready to make others around him better on a major scale, so he needs a bit of a kick.

Anyway, this contract is an awful lot like Backlunds straight out of his ETC, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->