Rumor: Flames pursuing Jaromir Jagr

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm against signing Jagr or any UFA for that matter. Jagr is not the missing piece that's going to get the Flames to the Cup finals.

Currently we have 11 signed Flames forwards and that number will change to 12 once Bennett signs. Jagr will put us at 13 fwds

I'd really like to see Janko play for the Flames this year. I just don't see that happening if we sign Jagr. I'd rather Janko get his first year of NHL experience than Jagr get his 30th. Jagr won't play here more than 1 year and he certainly won't be playing for us when we get to the Cup finals. I look forward to seeing Janko wearing the flaming C for many years to come and helping up win the Stanley Cup.

The only possible way that I would be in favour of signing Jagr is if we either put Freddie Hamiton on waivers or we made a trade to get rid of Brouwer or Stajan or Hamilton or any combination of those 3 fwds.

I, for one, don't see needing Freddie Hamilton to play for us to be a realistic reason not to sign Jagr. Signing one more forward will take away an automatic open spot, but realistically, that spot will be there for Janko unless we are 100% healthy, which is uncommon for an NHL team. We don't have to waive Hamilton in any scenario, because we would normally be carrying 14 forwards anyway.

For instance, when fully healthy:

13 - 23 - 79
19 - 11 - 67
10 - 93 - 68
18 - 20 - 36

5 - 27
7 - 24
61 - 26

Scratches: 77, 25, 44​

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Eklund has posted about Jagr to Flames so now it def won't happen.

I want Iggy more for sure. But Jagr would be a great consolation prize.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
meh, injuries occur, spots open up, depth is utilized.. we were pretty lucky with injuries to forwards last season.

I don't see the need to reserve a spot for Jankowski until it's earned, that's what pre-season is for. Impact players force their way in to the lineup.

Hamilton is a waiver-level player, there are many available each pre-season.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Honestly if we put fan bias aside, Jagr is superior to Iggy and it would be amazing to have a top 10 player of all time play for the franchise. The mentorship alone would be worth it.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
Honestly if we put fan bias aside, Jagr is superior to Iggy and it would be amazing to have a top 10 player of all time play for the franchise. The mentorship alone would be worth it.

This would be the biggest thing imo. Having a guy like Jagr on the team to teach the youngins would be invaluable and I think even if he may not be a major key contributor on the ice, his presence will be felt.

But I do think he'll be a real solid player on the ice too lol

Jags!

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012

It's not just fan bias, as to why I would prefer Iggy. It's that he is tougher, and can single handedly protect JG and co from the hacks and such. Iggy has solid scoring hands still, and we have plenty of puck distributors. I do think Iggy provides more than a feel good story, and he still has gas in the tank, we saw that in LA when there was more inspiration to win. The drive to win in Calgary would be much higher, and I feel he would put way more on the line to win here than Jagr would.

Jagr has always been money first. Always. That's my 2 cents.

Like I said, Jagr is a great consolation prize.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Only real reason I want Jagr is the mentorship and experience factor, but it's not like Iginla wouldn't provide a comparable amount.

Hoping the fact that Eklund mentioned it means that this rumour is dead in the water. I'm not sure what Treliving would be trying to achieve by keeping Jankowski in the AHL another year to play a literal 45 year old.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Only real reason I want Jagr is the mentorship and experience factor, but it's not like Iginla wouldn't provide a comparable amount.

Hoping the fact that Eklund mentioned it means that this rumour is dead in the water. I'm not sure what Treliving would be trying to achieve by keeping Jankowski in the AHL another year to play a literal 45 year old.

Except Jagr won't be keeping a Centre off of our team. The real roadblock is Matty Stajan- time for him to hang them up or get out of dodge.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Except Jagr won't be keeping a Centre off of our team. The real roadblock is Matty Stajan- time for him to hang them up or get out of dodge.

Only way to get Jankowski on a roster with Jagr is to play Stajan at LW, and I'm pretty sure Stajan right now would make a better C than Jankowski, so that's not ideal either. I'd prefer both play centre.

Jagr next year will be a pretty patently average player, signing him doesn't make us really any better or worse in my opinion. Having his experience on the team is all he'd bring.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Taking the sentiment out of it, there's no question in my mind that Jagr would be the better pickup. I mean, he's coming off a 46 point season on a 23rd ranked offence. Plus, the guy is an absolute work horse which is never a bad thing to have around a younger team.

Not saying Iginla wouldn't do any of that, but I think the on ice impact at this point is pretty easily in Jagr's favour. I do hope Iggy catches on somewhere though.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

This is wrong. Given the fluidity of Bennett, Lazar, and even Stajan, the sentiment that adding a RW doesn't block a C from making the team is a gross oversimplification. Off the top of my head, you have Ferland, Bennett, Versteeg, Lazar, Stajan, Frolik, and Tkachuk that can play at least 2/3 forward positions. Adding another forward at any of them could force any of the aforementioned guys into holes that aren't considered their primary position.

Saying that adding a RW only effects the slotting of our RW's just isn't true.

I'd still have Jagr on the team easily though.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Taking the sentiment out of it, there's no question in my mind that Jagr would be the better pickup. I mean, he's coming off a 46 point season on a 23rd ranked offence. Plus, the guy is an absolute work horse which is never a bad thing to have around a younger team.

Not saying Iginla wouldn't do any of that, but I think the on ice impact at this point is pretty easily in Jagr's favour. I do hope Iggy catches on somewhere though.

Agreed. Iggy would provide some solid assets to the team, but I feel like Jagr would provide more. We're talking about an disputed top 10 player of all time. While he's no where near that level now, his mind for the game hasn't passed him by. When I saw him play with Giroux and Voracek, it was night and day from the season before. He helped Benn and I really think he was huge in the development of both Barkov and Huberdeau. It's how he plays the game, thinks the game, prepares for the game, all these things are a step above Iggy despite the legendary career he's had. We have other tough guys, while it would be nice to add that, I feel like Jagr would add more to the roster than Iginla would.

I still love you Iggy and would be happy if he came back if not Jags! :)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

c7NJRa2.gif

Could you imagine?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't mind having Iggy, it's just people are expecting him to still be that protector type that can actually keep up with our scoring lines? Get real. He did well in a short sample size with the Kings because the Kings are the slowest team in the league and even then his underlying numbers were poor. He could surprise all of us and I'm sure he's motivated, but he shouldn't be used in a big role if he signs.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Anyone who thinks Iggy would bring more to the team than Jagr, is absolutely out to lunch. It's not even remotely close.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The upside to getting Jagr is he would give Bennett a genuine skilled player to help put up points in limited minutes. I was against it initially, but the more I think about it the more I like it - three legit scoring lines would put us over the top. If we can't get Bennet a real skilled winger, he should be top line RW and Janks should be 3c.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The big thing with Jagr for me is just the impact he has on young guys. Each and every team he seems to go to has their young stars take the next step into better players. So with us having so many young players on this team that are core parts of the team moving forward, it's absolutely worth getting that experience.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The big thing with Jagr for me is just the impact he has on young guys. Each and every team he seems to go to has their young stars take the next step into better players. So with us having so many young players on this team that are core parts of the team moving forward, it's absolutely worth getting that experience.

But he's been known to do his own thing on the ice and he also steals gf's. I'd bring him for skill not mentorship.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But he's been known to do his own thing on the ice and he also steals gf's. I'd bring him for skill not mentorship.

If he could teach our young guys how to steal girlfriends, imagine the confidence and swagger that would add to their game! Could be a big factor in getting Bennett on track, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->