Rumor: Flames pursuing Jaromir Jagr

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
He's the perfect fit at (probably) the perfect price.

He'd be a perfect third line winger, and he'd probably be a good fall-back option for #1RW if the Ferland experiment stops working.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
One part of me loves the idea, the other part of me thinks we've probably got enough third line RWers on this team already

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
It would be cool to see him on the flames but I don't really see where he fits into the flames lineup. I suppose I could see him playing the Hudler type role on the top line because he's not the fastest anymore but then where does Ferland go? I'd rather have 1 spot up for grabs for a rookie to grab and maybe sign a vet to a pto to fight for that spot.

I hope Jagr gets to play another year but I just don't see the fit with the flames.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He'd fit like a glove with Backlund and Frolik and Tkachuk could slide up and down the lines as needed

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would prefer to leave a spot open for a rookie like Jankowski or Foo to fight over but that's never really been the Flames' way.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr
Stajan-Lazar-Brouwer
Hathaway/Hamilton

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Jagr is still a good player I'd like to have him play with Bennett I think a Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr line would be a damn good possession line that could get around 40 points a piece. Also there are likely to be injuries so some AHLers will get opportunity (hopefully some of the 1st rounders instead of just Garnett Hathaway).

Also even with the price we payed for Lazar I think there is a chance we try and sneak him through waivers (Unless there is some surprise coming up it looks likely that 2 of Lazar, Porier and Shinkaruk will have to be sent down and I'm not sure Lazar will outplay them in training camp.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
dWEyA.gif

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Jagr is still a good player I'd like to have him play with Bennett I think a Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr line would be a damn good possession line that could get around 40 points a piece. Also there are likely to be injuries so some AHLers will get opportunity (hopefully some of the 1st rounders instead of just Garnett Hathaway).

Also even with the price we payed for Lazar I think there is a chance we try and sneak him through waivers (Unless there is some surprise coming up it looks likely that 2 of Lazar, Porier and Shinkaruk will have to be sent down and I'm not sure Lazar will outplay them in training camp.

Shinkaruk: 14GP for the flames, 2 G 2 A 4 P
Poirier: 8GP for the flames, 0G 1A 1P
Lazar: 4 GP for the flames, 1G 2 A 3P

In his short time with the flames Lazar has shown to be vastly more NHL capable than either of the other two, so I'm not sure why you don't believe he can outplay them.

IMO there is next to no chance that someone claims poirier, even if he does have a great preseason, just because of his poor play last season and the news story.
Shinkaruk might be someone's waiver target, but I can't say I'd be that worried about losing him. It seems every team has a player or two like him already, and we've seen better players than him pass through waivers.
Lazar has the most value of the three (set by us, no way we could trade Poirier or Shinkaruk for a second) so I doubt we waive him unless we're absolutely forced to.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Janko gets buried if Jagr is signed. Foo IMO spends a season in the AHL to learn the system and season. No room on RW for him IMO.

Jagr has played 72+ games for a while now. But IMO, the kids will have a chance to grab a cup of coffee as I don't believe management will bother to have our team fight through injuries. 2-4 games at a time IMO. We will likely call up kids constantly all season.

Not sure about the Lazar sneak down thing though... we will see what happens.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Shinkaruk: 14GP for the flames, 2 G 2 A 4 P
Poirier: 8GP for the flames, 0G 1A 1P
Lazar: 4 GP for the flames, 1G 2 A 3P

In his short time with the flames Lazar has shown to be vastly more NHL capable than either of the other two, so I'm not sure why you don't believe he can outplay them.

IMO there is next to no chance that someone claims poirier, even if he does have a great preseason, just because of his poor play last season and the news story.
Shinkaruk might be someone's waiver target, but I can't say I'd be that worried about losing him. It seems every team has a player or two like him already, and we've seen better players than him pass through waivers.
Lazar has the most value of the three (set by us, no way we could trade Poirier or Shinkaruk for a second) so I doubt we waive him unless we're absolutely forced to.

Because I think the other two are better players currently, Lazar would've been down in the AHL if Ottawa hadn't rushed him and made him waiver eligible. Even with his 3 points in 5 (1 playoff game and this a ridiculously small sample size where he had an assist on an empty netter) he had 4 points in 38 games that season (I know mono, Poirier was also struggling through substance abuse). Even when he was in the AHL for his conditioning stint he had 4 points in 13 games. Where as Shinkaruk specifically produces well in the AHL but doesn't put up big numbers due to really evenly distributed icetime.

I wasn't a fan of the Lazar trade when it happened and I still don't like it now. I think it was unnecessary and spent a 2nd on another tweener stuck between the AHL and NHL. A spot that was already pretty easily filled internally (Hathaway, Hamilton, Poirier and Shinkaruk) unless he can be a third line winger or better I don't get it.

On the other hand he did have a good rookie season in Ottawa and he was very good at the WJC, but even his good seasons are only 4th line caliber play. FTR I hope he works out.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think for Lazar though, he's going to be tested at C rather than penned in at RW. After Janko, we don't really have C depth and we don't have the picks to acquire C depth in the next year or two. Janko and Lazar are good options to have.

This season:

Mony, Backlund, Bennett, Stajan, Lazar, Janko, Nothing on the farm

Next season?

Mony, Backlund, Bennett, ?, Lazar, Janko, Nothing on the farm/no one to block

This is also why I've been curious if Stajan extended at a Verteeg-esque contract might occur next season or if there's a FA to be had. I really doubt Lazar/Janko/Bennett all solidify themselves as bottom 6 C > to Stajan, Stajan would play wing in general though if extended.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think for Lazar though, he's going to be tested at C rather than penned in at RW. After Janko, we don't really have C depth and we don't have the picks to acquire C depth in the next year or two. Janko and Lazar are good options to have.

This season:

Mony, Backlund, Bennett, Stajan, Lazar, Janko, Nothing on the farm

Next season?

Mony, Backlund, Bennett, ?, Lazar, Janko, Nothing on the farm/no one to block

This is also why I've been curious if Stajan extended at a Verteeg-esque contract might occur next season or if there's a FA to be had. I really doubt Lazar/Janko/Bennett all solidify themselves as bottom 6 C > to Stajan, Stajan would play wing in general though if extended.

You had me until here- absolutely no to resigning stajan. Some people don't want Jagr because he'll block people coming up and we're talking about resigning matt frickin stajan haha

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yes please to Jagr.
On a down season where his team spent most of the season without their two best offensive players this guy still scored 46 points. Would be an instant upgrade to our depth for little to no actual cost.

I think he'd compliment a player like Bennett and Versteeg, especially getting some easy OZ Time.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You had me until here- absolutely no to resigning stajan. Some people don't want Jagr because he'll block people coming up and we're talking about resigning matt frickin stajan haha

It's just a curiosity as we don't have centre depth on the farm for injury situations. It doesn't have to Stajan, but just think it doesn't look like we'd be able to fill it internally either. The BEST case scenario would be trading Stajan as a rental and recouping a young B level prospect C for the farm... but the odds of that don't seem great and re-signing Stajan seems more likely. That's just the point I was trying to make.

Having Stajan play wing does block a LW though. Could Freddy supplant Stajan and force Stajan/Free agent into a 13th forward situation for that C depth? That's the question, but wildly off topic with the situation at hand.

Of course, this idea is somewhat moot if Lazar and Janko prove to be great centres... but time will tell.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I really want Jagr on this team.

I've been complaining about the lack of scoring winger all offseason long, it'd be a nice add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->