Flames Prospect Report - Corona Summer 2020

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The cupboard re-stocking begins - but the Flames don't really need any graduates at this time - unless it's another defenceman. Only inline to lose Getzlaf next season from the pro roster and there's plenty of replacement options already in the line-up. Patience continues to be the key.

2020 list graduates:

Connor Bunnamen (PHI)
- played in the round-robin series and 21 games w/ the Flyers this season.

Eric Robinson (CBJ)
- park of the Leafs killers he played in all 5 games in addition to 50 NHL games this season.

Top 21

1. (NEW) Seth Jarvis - W - Portland Winterhawks - Drafted 10th Overall, 2020

It's gonna be interesting to see where he lands in the NHL draft. Some great teams picking 10-15, I hope he lands at 13 with the Hurricanes.

2. (1) Ryan Poehling – C – Montreal Canadiens – Drafted 20th overall, 2017

In retrospect, he should have stayed in college one more season. Regardless, it was a year of challenges but one that still saw Poehling finish the season with a long run in the NHL. 27 NHL games but I'm not graduating him as I don't think he's really earned the jump yet. Hasn't dressed in the playoffs. More AHL seasoning is coming. With Larkin and Barzal, he only needs to be a great 3C for the Flames to replace Backlund in a couple of years. Still optimistic about him.

3. (2) Alexander Alexeyev – D –Washington Capitals – Drafted 34th overall, 2018

Alexeyev is close to a full-time NHL job - could be as soon as next season. Had a strong year in the AHL and continues to overcome adversity. Part of the Capitals playoff squad though he hasn't dressed.

4. (3) Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen – G – Cincinnati Cyclones – Drafted 51st overall, 2017

Luukkonen had a really up and down year making the jump to the pros. At times he went on dominant runs, at other times he struggled. As with most goalies, it'll be a few years more of development.

5. (4) Daniil Tarasov – G – TBD – Drafted 150th overall, 2017

Tarasov had a fantastic year of development in Liiga for a team that gave up a lot of shots. Super athletic and NHL sized, he continues to work on his technical game. The Blue Jackets haven't loaned him back to any European teams at this time, so perhaps they want him in the NA minor leagues next season. Columbus knows how to draft goalies so this keeps me super optimistic about this player.

6. (NEW) Ozzy Weisblatt - F - Prince George Cougars - Drafted 33rd Overall

A player who should step up and be one of the top scorers in the WHL next season - counting on him hitting 100 points and getting some $$ from Mountain Due.

7. (5) Aarne Talvitie – F – Penn State – Drafted 198th overall, 2017

Heading into season 3 in the NCAA's, he'll be a leader and expected to take a bigger role with a ton of graduates leaving the program.

8. (6) Dillon Hamaliuk – F – TBD – Drafted 97thoverall, 2019

That was one heck of a disappointing and rough season - mono and other injuries complicated his season - he missed games and took a long time to return to full speed. Had a great couple weeks just before the lockdown. As a 4-year WHL player he can leave for the AHL early.

9. (10) Brandon Hagel - F - Chicago Blackhawks - Drafted 90th Overall, 2016

Had a fantastic and impressive rookie pro season that ended up with his NHL debut in the last game before lockdown. Part of the playoff squad but hasn't dressed. Will get a long hard look for a permanent NHL role next season. Can't believe that the Sabres didn't sign him to an ELC. #Typical.

11. (17) Brady Keeper - D - Florida Panthers - UDFA 2019

Just played in his 2nd NHL game in the Florida play-in series - he's really close to a full-time NHL job. Continues to improve and develop well.

12 . (8) Tuukka Tieksola – F - Kärpät– Drafted 109thoverall, 2019

Tieksola dominated the U20's but with a deep Liiga squad above him only got into 5 games at senior level. Will have to make the jump this season as he's done all he can in the junior leagues and needs to start to adapt his play to a pro game.

13. (NEW) Carter Savoie - F - University of Denver - Drafted 62nd overall

When you have good skating and an elite level shot you have a real chance to be an NHL player. He'll need coaching up and a conversion to a more two-way pro-style game but he'll get time in college. Question is: if the NCAA's shut down for the season, will he go to Winnipeg in the WHL? Fingers crossed, actually.

14. (7) Danila Zhuravlyov – D – Irbis Kazan – Drafted 147th overall, 2018

Didn't look out of place with 36 games as a youngster in the KHL. Lot's of questions about him with rumours that he turned down an Avs EL contract and has little intention to come to NA. That drops him down the list.

15. (12) Jake McGrew – F – Spokane Chiefs – Drafted 197th overall, 2017

I still think McGrew could carve out a Tyler Benson style career - but he's going to have to stop with the major injuries. Played only 6 games in the WHL last season - going pro now - Sharks scouts are still talking him up in interviews - let's hope he rebounds as he's healthy again.

16. (14) Cameron Hughes – F – Providence Bruins – Drafted 159th overall, 2015

He was part of the Bruins camp for the restart but didn't make the squad. However, made his NHL debut this season. Hard-working and skilled, he could still carve out an NHL career.

17. (9) Nicholas Caamano - Dallas Stars - Drafted 127th overall, 2016

Caamano is part of the playoff squad for the Dallas Stars. He's come a long way very quickly and will be pushing for a full-time bottom-six role in the NHL as soon as next season.

18. (11) Mikhail Maltsev – C – Binghamton Devils – Drafted 77th overall, 2016

Maltsev had a strong development year - he's never been a big scorer though he has moments of elite skill. He's a big kid who skates well and plays a great two-way game. He could be a good compliment to the young Devils as a 3rd line C in a couple of years.

19 (18) Jeremy Davies - D - Milwaukee Admirals - UDFA 2019

Davies could be the injection that the Predators need next season, especially if they retool after a bad season - he's a puck-moving defenseman who has developed well, scoring 28 points from the blueline and was plus 26 in his rookie pro season, leading his team.

20. (NEW) Cross Hanas - F - Portland Winterhawks - Drafted 106th overall, 2020

Hanas is on tap to see an explosion in his point totals as he steps up to top 6 duty in the WHL - especially as most of the core pieces of the powerhouse Winterhawks remain. Needs to be more consistent.

21. (13) Nikita Pavlychev - F - TBD - Drafted 98th Overall, 2015

The Senior hasn't signed a contract with the Penguins yet - not sure if he'll get an ELC though I'd be surprised if he didn't once it becomes clear what is happening with the 20/21 season.

HM: Austin Strand (LAK), Markus Phillips (LAK), Nick Wolff (BOS), Brandon Biro (BUF), Reece Newkirk (NYI), Owen Lindmark (FLA).

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
NEWS

The Flamettes 2016 NHL draft now has 6 NHL'ers, despite not picking until 65 in that draft. Simon, Maltsev, Bunnamen, Hagel, Caamano, Nutivaara were all in the NHL last week.

That is the 3rd time the Flames have had 6 players from one draft make the NHL. There are still two more players who are longshots to make it - Kaspick & Biro.

2005 - Bourdon, Setoguchi, Smolenak, Downie, Stalock, Fayne

2007 - Backlund, Repik, Stralman, Killorn, Tangradi, Sceviour.

The big difference is that '05 had 3 first rounders and '07 had two, and both years had a 2nd rounder.

ALSO

With Strand making the NHL, the Flames now have 3 of the 2017 WHL champion Seattle Thunderbirds who've made the NHL, in Barzal, Bear and Strand. Look out whoever owns Ryan Gropp! (EDIT: I mean Kolesar!)

TOP 20 (red - made the NHL)

Thought I would do an update to my previous list rather than a new ranking since the season, and lack of season for some, has been so disjointed in NA.

From my prospect list, we've had some NHL debuts (Strand, Maltsev) and 2nd year NHL'ers start to establish themselves (Caamano, Bunnamen, Hagel).

1 - Seth Jarvis - current AHL leader in goals and points (albeit that it's only been a week). 4 goals and 6 points in 4 games. So happy that there is some positivity in his season. He's probably WHL bound (if that happens) but I think he's more than ready for extended AHL duty.

2 - Ryan Poehling - he should have remained in college - being on the taxi squad (and not playing) is probably worse than anything. Thankfully just got demoted to the AHL.

3 - Alexander Alexeyev - one of the players who have benefited the most from this COVID season - he's played 50 games in the KHL, just won rookie of the month, and has been rookie of the week multiple times. Starting to get more ice time and the points are coming. Scored a highlight reel breakaway goal last week. Developing well.

4 - Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - Got his AHL season debut under his belt this week and had two wins. Had an up and down time in Liiga but was happy he at least saw some game time.

5 - Daniil Tarasov - Looked really athletic and has made some highlight reel saves in his time in Russia this season. Very optimistic that Tarasov has what it takes to become an NHL starter.

6 - Ozzy Weisblatt - the player who is probably most negatively affected by the lack of WHL season. Scored his first pro goal in the AHL this week and happy he's playing.

7 - Aarne Talvitie - Having a decent season on a Penn State roster that's seen a lot of turnover. He's taking advantage by seeing an uptick in his offensive numbers.

8. - Dillon Hamaliuk - Another who has suffered by not having a WHL season to aid in his injury recovery. However, he's in the AHL now. One of three San Jose Sharks prospects making their pro debut's this past couple weeks/month (with Weisblatt and McGrew).

9 - Brandon Hagel - continues to defy the odds - while the goals haven't come yet he's been an impact player for the Blackhawks with his intensity, physical play and skating. Fought Laine a few days ago. Could have genuine 2nd line potential.

10 - Brady Keeper - another for whom the taxi squad is a killer.

11 - Tuukka Tieksola - started in juniors and then got injured and missed the WJC camp (although he was a long shot anyway). Getting more playing time as a regular in Liiga - getting his first points and goals at the senior level.

12 - Carter Savoie - started the season with a bang, his freshman season in the NCAA's, and hasn't let up. He's been amongst the leaders in goals and continues the hot run. His shot is just fantastic. Surprising many - he's further developed and a better player than most expected. 11 goals and 16 points in 20 games.

13 - Danila Zhuravlyov - a defenseman playing as a young man in the KHL are rare - he's yet another NHL D prospect for the Avs.

14 - Jake McGrew - Having a great start to his pro career and so far, injury free. Started in the ECHL, got 8 points in 11 games, and has continued to find offense in the AHL, scoring his first AHL goal this week. I've always felt he was a genuine NHL prospect because of his skating and his injuries haven't seemed to have a negative effect on that.

15 - Cameron Hughes - a player who I thought had an outside shot at an NHL roster but others jumped ahead of him. Still time.

16 - Nicholas Caamano - playing well in a 4th line role, as an energy player, for the Dallas Stars. He's still a bubble guy, and I expect it will take him more time to establish himself but its a pleasant surprise that he's already in the NHL.

17 - Mikhail Maltsevbarely played on his KHL loan but has looked bright and energetic in training camp, making the Devils taxi squad and then his NHL debut. Back in the AHL potting his first goal of the season last night.

18 - Jeremy Davies - he's so close to the NHL, I think it will come this season - just so strong with the puck.

19 - Cross Hanas - a short stint in the USHL didn't go that well and another player who needs the WHL to start up this season.

20 - Nikita Pavlychev - it's going to be a long road for Pavlychev but I think he still has a shot. In the ECHL currently, his first pro season.

21 - Viktor Persson - turning heads, didn't expect him to even be on the radar for the Swedish WJC team but he was, and has now made his SHL debut. Not sure if he'll still come to the WHL this season if they start up.

HM: Austin Strand (LAK) - made his NHL debut and played strong minutes in his 4 NHL games so far. Rhett Gardiner and Eric Robinson are 'UDFA's' but prospects really, and in the NHL.

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
It's really tough for guys like Hamaliuk and Wiestblatt, or anybody in the CHL really that isn't AHL-ready. There's only so much you can do to compensate for a lost season.

I've been impressed with Hagel. I'm not sure I see second line upside, but he has a Brandon Tanev thing going on, and that's a good thing.

Also if Jarvis could stop stealing Tomasino's spotlight in Chicago, that'd be great, thanks.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad