TSN: Flames Projected to Finish 14th in West

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I know im a flames fan and this may be a little biased, but this is ridiculous.. 14th? Really??? 14th? you got to be kidding me. Compared to our roster from last year when the Flames finished 9th, I think we are a much better team and we get rated as the second worst team in the West? I just don't get it.

I was ok with people rating them 10th,11th or even 12th.. There are definitely some question marks (depth at center, missing post season for 3 straight year) but this team on paper definitely should be in the running for making the playoffs.

I don't mind being the underdog but I really didn't see this coming.. That is a really low ranking and it just doesn't make sense to me. What do you guys think?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Meh, it's TSN. In Buttons playoff predictions, he had both the Penguins and the Rangers in the top 2 positions in the East. Button seems to not understand how divisions work.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
It was on TV.

It was an odd one because they praised Kiprusoff and the additions of Hudler, Cervenka, Wideman, and Baertschi. Then James asked the panel if they could make the playoffs and everyone said no due to lack of depth at center. Then it was revealed that they predicted the Flames for 14th place, 5 places lower than last year, despite praising their additions.

I don't see how any team with Kiprusoff ends up in 14th, never mind one that added several good pieces.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Players tend to immediately become much lower rated as soon as they sign here. Doesn't really seem to be anything new to me. We're not a playoff lock obviously but we sure as hell are not finishing 14th unless we sell all our pieces.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
A week ago I was pretty stunned to see that several sports betting sites had given the Flames the 4th worst odds to win the Cup this year. I hadn't realized outsiders viewed it so differently then myself.

I think it's a solid looking team that's filled some holes nicely (specifically the 2 forwards currently not available, Cervenka and Hudler) without really losing anything other than the inconsistent Olli from last year's roster.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
While I think Olli was a huge loss and our center depth is concerning, I think this is a good ranking for the Flames. There's nowhere to go but up the rankings. No pressure but to prove them wrong. And wrong they will be.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Meh, the pundits have been predicting the Flames will finish at the bottom of the conference for the last few years; it doesn't mean much.

That being said, there are a couple of scenarios in which a 14th place finish can actually happen, one of which isn't all that unrealistic. Recall last season, and even the one before that, and look at the standings around the midway point. If I remember correctly, the west was incredibly close, with only a handful of points separating the 7th place team and the 13th or 14 place team. What with the increased parity, it's not out of the realm of possibility for this Flames team to be competing for a playoff spot but still finish 14th when all is said and done.

Ron Wilson*

I have the Flames finishing 6th.

They are the sleeper team of 2013. I make a living betting sports. Calgary = Pure Darkhorse +EV bet

Motivation (Iginla last shot) + Coach that uses Calgary's strengths + solid goalie. Good mixture of Vets with some new blood, Bartischiiischc (can't spell his name). That kid will be rookie of the year.

I don't think they will win the cup vs. Rangers or Pitts but I have Calgary winning the West.

35:1 odds to win West conf title. I bet $300 on them. Public perception on the Flames, as well as the tsn "pros" is way off.

Good luck guys

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com

They are the sleeper team of 2013. I make a living betting sports. Calgary = Pure Darkhorse +EV bet

Motivation (Iginla last shot) + Coach that uses Calgary's strengths + solid goalie. Good mixture of Vets with some new blood, Bartischiiischc (can't spell his name). That kid will be rookie of the year.

I don't think they will win the cup vs. Rangers or Pitts but I have Calgary winning the West.

35:1 odds to win West conf title. I bet $300 on them. Public perception on the Flames, as well as the tsn "pros" is way off.

Good luck guys

If you cash in on this bet I will sell everything I own and become your apprentice.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Good luck guys
While I wouldn't go as far as picking the Flames to win the West I do believe that they will be a playoff team. Hartley replacing Sutter alone would net the Flames at least 8 more points in a full season in my opinion. The upgrade of Hannan to Wideman, combined with the likely improvements by Backlund and Brodie and then a couple good rookies in Baertschi and Cervenka and the team is looking pretty good. The only big loss Calgary suffered was Jokinen.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
While I wouldn't go as far as picking the Flames to win the West I do believe that they will be a playoff team. Hartley replacing Sutter alone would net the Flames at least 8 more points in a full season in my opinion. The upgrade of Hannan to Wideman, combined with the likely improvements by Backlund and Brodie and then a couple good rookies in Baertschi and Cervenka and the team is looking pretty good. The only big loss Calgary suffered was Jokinen.

Says you. I think its addition by subtraction.

mjw22

Feb 10, 2012
moosejaw
Better hope nothing happens to Kipper and Iggy comes to play right away. The groin thing may be a concern . Injuries like that can happen with a short camp and long off season if you werent playing somewhere during the lockout. It will be a grind on some older guys playing so many games in such a short time frame.I'd like to see them in but not holding my breath.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
There definitely are some questions surrounding this team. Can Tanguay be successful at the center position? How long until Cervenka can play and will he live up to the hype? Does Kipper have what it takes to make another run and can our back-up goalies give us a few W's to make that extra push? Will Bob Hartley new coaching style rub off on the team and be successful? How will our Defence play under Hartley (Bouwmeester, and Wideman especially)

There are many other question marks that have people wondering if they have what it takes.. but I think they do. If Kipper has a great season it is more then enough for this team to make the playoffs. Im not gona weigh in too much on this projection

The flames are a playoff team in my eyes, and if not.. they are damn close to one

Gary83*

Another thing to take into account is that last year Calgary was putrid against the Eastern conference, if you factor in their record against the west then they would be a playoff team.

I dropped $100 on 10 to 1 odds of them making the playoffs, so hoping that will pay nicely!

I really like what I've seen from Backlund in camp, if he can emerge this season as a capable 2nd line center then I think the Flames make the playoffs. Right now I don't know if he just looks good because he's been playing already and everyone is just a little rusty still, hope this is his breakout.

I really find that Kipper generally starts to slip and have some of his worse games later in the year, in a span of 48 games I have no doubt he can carry this team to a playoff spot, but we'll see.

On the bright side, if we do tank badly it's only 48 games.

Compared to the Oilers 246 and counting.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Then I think you must know very little about hockey, to suggest such a thing shows very little knowledge about the game.

Then you think wrong unfortunately.

There have been very little things I've been wrong about in hockey and that includes my opinion on Joker. From start to finish I've been proven right at every turn on him. Heck I even predicted the correct amount on his contract signing post-flames.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
With the centers we have, we will probably win 30% of FO. I hope we do better than this prediction, but would not be surprised if we are bottom 5 in the West. May get a solid pick if all else fails, but who knows; it is a short season and anything can happen.

The Hendog

Apr 20, 2012
Calgary
That is harsh indeed in my opinion
So who is the one team that is finishing behind the Flames? Columbus I assume?
They really think the Ducks will do better than the Flames?!? Really - the Ducks!
They might end up having to trade Getzlaf and Perry at the deadline in fear of losing them for nothing and you think the Ducks will do better than the Flames
Brutal TSN

Still not as brutal as SI's pre season rankings that have the Oilers number #3 somehow... that is right the team that has finished 30th, 30th and 29th over the last 3 years is ranked #3! Ahead of teams such as the Stanley Cup winning Kings, the back to back President trophy champs the Canucks, powerhouses like Boston and Philly and up and comers the St. Louis Blues. Just terrible.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130109/nhl-preseason-power-rankings/index.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad