GDT: Flames play the Hurricanes, (7:00) get it while you can, this is the last game for 10 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That was not my favorite game I've been to by any stretch. Our team was completely on their heels defensively because of Carolina's speed. Yes we had some good chances offensively and on some nights they would have gone in (Neal's hopping puck, Mrazek's save on Gio, Gaudreau's post) but we aren't gonna keep winning like this if we don't clean up the play in our own zone. Was legitimately painful to watch them hemmed in so badly and continue to make passes that were picked off or deflected.

Great to get two points, but still gotta work on stuff.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That was not my favorite game I've been to by any stretch. Our team was completely on their heels defensively because of Carolina's speed. Yes we had some good chances offensively and on some nights they would have gone in (Neal's hopping puck, Mrazek's save on Gio, Gaudreau's post) but we aren't gonna keep winning like this if we don't clean up the play in our own zone. Was legitimately painful to watch them hemmed in so badly and continue to make passes that were picked off or deflected.

Great to get two points, but still gotta work on stuff.
Sometimes you can only play as well as your opponent lets you. Carolina had the speed to match Calgary and they played a tight checking game with very active sticks. Also Mrazek played great. Rittich may have had to make more saves but Mrazek had to make better saves. I admit the Flames didn't have a good first period. Lots of offsides, missed passes, and basically no flow. However they did pick it up in the 2nd and poured it on in the 3rd.
To be honest, after seeing the Cane's play last night, I'm a bit surprised that they don't have a better record. They have an excellent D and I bet with one or two more goal scorers in the lineup and more consistent goal tending they could be a serious threat night after night. Too the team's revenues are so low, due to their location and fan support. I have the feeling they will end up letting Ferland walk in FA, which will further hamper the team.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Sometimes you can only play as well as your opponent lets you. Carolina had the speed to match Calgary and they played a tight checking game with very active sticks. Also Mrazek played great. Rittich may have had to make more saves but Mrazek had to make better saves. I admit the Flames didn't have a good first period. Lots of offsides, missed passes, and basically no flow. However they did pick it up in the 2nd and poured it on in the 3rd.
To be honest, after seeing the Cane's play last night, I'm a bit surprised that they don't have a better record. They have an excellent D and I bet with one or two more goal scorers in the lineup and more consistent goal tending they could be a serious threat night after night. Too the team's revenues are so low, due to their location and fan support. I have the feeling they will end up letting Ferland walk in FA, which will further hamper the team.

We had spurts of offense sure, but they were few and far between at times. I disagree with saying we poured it on in the third as well. We played better yes. We still did not play particularly well. Offensively improved, defensively I was still unhappy.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
We had spurts of offense sure, but they were few and far between at times. I disagree with saying we poured it on in the third as well. We played better yes. We still did not play particularly well. Offensively improved, defensively I was still unhappy.

I agree it was far from our best effort. What I like though is that a key attribute for successful teams is being opportunistic.

The Flames have generally buried their chances when they need to all season, that’s huge.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Th Canes played really well but the Flames looked like a team that wasn't 100% dialed in. I wouldn't read too much into it

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If anyone ever had any questions why Carolina is a statistics darling, while not being a very good team... last night was a good example.
Essentially press forward the entire time, shoot as much as possible even if there's no where to shoot.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The first line struggled all night. For the most part they were chasing the puck and Johnny's normally crisp passes weren't connecting.

The second line featuring Neal had some chances but weren't effective as checkers.

The third line with Chucky on it were invisible.

The fourth line played hard it seemed and had shots on goal (except Mangiapane ), but nothing to show for it.

I think we got outplayed and we weren't skating. If it wasn't for Rittich and our D we would have been in a world of hurt.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The first line struggled all night. For the most part they were chasing the puck and Johnny's normally crisp passes weren't connecting.

The second line featuring Neal had some chances but weren't effective as checkers.

The third line with Chucky on it were invisible.

The fourth line played hard it seemed and had shots on goal (except Mangiapane ), but nothing to show for it.

I think we got outplayed and we weren't skating. If it wasn't for Rittich and our D we would have been in a world of hurt.

Mangiapane was the weak line on that line last night. I thought Ryan and Hathaway had good games, but every time the puck cycled to Mangiapane along the boards we lost possession.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
While the top line was bad for 2 periods there were a lot of positives from the game.

2 very good games in a row by Rittich he was a top 3 goalie before the Christmas break and looking like it again with Smith playing better.
Defense looked solid when you go over the really dangerous chances that somehow stayed out they were all for the Flames
Ryan was a passenger floating under the radar earlier in the year, now he's had 5 really good games in a row seeing why they signed him.
Neal while snakebitten continues to be involved with the puck probably his best 2 weeks of the season.
Frolik continues not to look like October benched Frolik and can fit anywhere in the lineup

It feels like the veteran guys are picking up the slack after not being good early in the season and everyone has been waiting for them to get going so the team can really show it's depth.
The top line will be better again after the break (can't just come out for the 3rd in half your games) and the stretch to the playoffs will ignite them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree the topline wasn’t great last night, but in the 3rd Johnny was playing like the MVP of the league. He was a spectacle to watch.

Tkachuk also needs to play with Backs. Those 2 make sexy time together.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'd be open to trading Mangiapane, he's too light on his skates. Even if he figures that out, he's not going to be an exceptional talent. If we could get a bottom 6 upgrade for eat bread+....I'd pull the trigger for sure.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Also, side note, out of all our rotating AHL depth I have by far liked Quine the best. He made 2 glaring turnovers, but outside of that he was really good imo. Hoping he gets a call again.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Also, side note, out of all our rotating AHL depth I have by far liked Quine the best. He made 2 glaring turnovers, but outside of that he was really good imo. Hoping he gets a call again.
Here's a blog by a Stockton resident and Heat fan about possible Black Aces up with the club for a play-off run. He ranks Quine first, Rychel second, and Lazar 3rd and thinks they are all better than Czarnik.

Personally Mangiapane hasn't done it for me. Every since Burke categorized him as a nasty SOB I haven't seen that element of his game. No snarl, no scoring. Perhaps that is a matter of confidence that, as a young player, he hasn't acquired yet.

An ace up the Flames’ sleeve

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The Gnome

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Carolinas scored 5 goals in the second period last night against a very fast Canucks team. I think Brindamour has them trending in the right direction and perhaps we had just faced a pretty good team that outplayed us.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Here's a blog by a Stockton resident and Heat fan about possible Black Aces up with the club for a play-off run. He ranks Quine first, Rychel second, and Lazar 3rd and thinks they are all better than Czarnik.

Personally Mangiapane hasn't done it for me. Every since Burke categorized him as a nasty SOB I have seen that element of his game. No snarl, no scoring. Perhaps that is a matter of confidence that, as a young player, he hasn't acquired yet.

I don’t think they’ll call up Quine until after the deadline. Because of his waiver eligibility, they won’t bring him up until they’re sure they need him for the rest of the year

Reactions: Nanuuk and Mobiandi

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Is there still no roster limit in the post-season? We could call up Quine for the playoffs and he would slot in pretty easily without much trouble.

He's kinda okay in the playoffs ;)

I’m more in awe of the fact that the Islanders and the Panthers played each other in a playoffs series tbh

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Personally Mangiapane hasn't done it for me. Every since Burke categorized him as a nasty SOB I have seen that element of his game. No snarl, no scoring. Perhaps that is a matter of confidence that, as a young player, he hasn't acquired yet.

In regards to Mangiapane, I think I could use similar description for Andersson as of last season. Andersson last season frustrated me. This season on the other hand, he's getting in people's grills, chirping, better poise etc.

It could very well be a confidence thing. Can anyone confirm how Mangiapane played in Stockton? Is it different to how he's playing in the bigs?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
On a slight other note, I don’t think there’s been any question that Kylington has outplayed Andersson and I’d even say Valimaki. He should not be going back down.

Reactions: Calculon

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Mangiapane was the weak line on that line last night. I thought Ryan and Hathaway had good games, but every time the puck cycled to Mangiapane along the boards we lost possession.

Honestly I do not understand why Mangiapane is in the NHL...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
On a slight other note, I don’t think there’s been any question that Kylington has outplayed Andersson and I’d even say Valimaki. He should not be going back down.

I do not see the gap between the 3. Nobody is playing off the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad