GDT: Flames @ Oilers tonight - 7:00pm

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think there was ever any interest for him. 2.2m for 2 yrs for a mediocre backup is not exactly a wow wow commodity.
Actually that wage is becoming more common for mediocre backups that aren't in the back-9 of their careers.

Samuel Ersson got 2 x 1.45 after 12 games. Brossoit got 1 x 1.75. Stolarz got 1.1m, Blackwood 2 x 2.35, Ingran got 3 x 1.95, Lankinen got 2m, Copley 1.5m.

The days of getting even a mediocre backup that has some level of potential below 1.5m are gone.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Actually that wage is becoming more common for mediocre backups that aren't in the back-9 of their careers.

Samuel Ersson got 2 x 1.45 after 12 games. Brossoit got 1 x 1.75. Stolarz got 1.1m, Blackwood 2 x 2.35, Ingran got 3 x 1.95, Lankinen got 2m, Copley 1.5m.

The days of getting even a mediocre backup that has some level of potential below 1.5m are gone.
They all make less than Vladar except for Blackwood who had a much longer track record and resume. Whatever potential people think Vladar has is disappearing quickly. I would argue his value now less than when the Flames got him and getting less every day unless there is a turn around real quick

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don’t understand what the point of this game was with us sending that line-up. Is Huska a McDavid fan or something?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Sending that roster was just a bad idea overall, and I don't think any positives came from it. This is game 7 of 8.. things need to start ramping up. No reason to see the likes of Ciona, Pettersson, Pospisil, Poirier, or even a Honzek at this juncture as there is ZERO chance they make the opening roster. Additionally you had Ruzicka and Dube playing center when clearly that's not the plan for them.

Letting Vladar get lit up after having a strong camp up to that point was also silly.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sending that roster was just a bad idea overall, and I don't think any positives came from it. This is game 7 of 8.. things need to start ramping up. No reason to see the likes of Ciona, Pettersson, Pospisil, Poirier, or even a Honzek at this juncture as there is ZERO chance they make the opening roster. Additionally you had Ruzicka and Dube playing center when clearly that's not the plan for them.

Letting Vladar get lit up after having a strong camp up to that point was also silly.
Agreed. I'm already prepared for the inevitable struggles with chemistry and the "learning the new system" excuse to drag on and on.

Reactions: deleted user

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I view it slightly differently. I think there were some positives. Allowing an AHL calibre team to get stomped by the Oilers endows two specific parting lessons on the young guys.

1. Hate those guys up North BOA style.
2. This is the level of consistency you need to reach to be an NHL mainstay.

As Huska said in the post game, the first 30 minutes weren't bad, but the last 30 it got away from them. I was happy to hear him specifically state there were lessons to be learned there.

The best player on the planet is often only a few hours away. Just making it to the NHL isn't what the org wants those guys to strive for. Historically speaking, the Flames have actually been often quite good in giving lower picks (4th and later) and/or undrafted players opportunities in the past and it seems Conroy and Co want to increase that opportunity even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad