News Article: Flames Not-So-New Arena, The Saga Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/flames-poised-to-reveal-plans-for-downtown-arena

Calgary is weeks away from learning the Flames’ plans for a new downtown arena, team CEO Ken King said Thursday.

After years of being vague about his ambitious project’s timeline, he told radio station KISS 95.9 the team is ready to divulge its plans.

“When you see our project, people are just going to love it,†King said. “We’re not going to sneak in here and steal money from the city.â€

soon-horse.jpg

BREAKING NEWS - AUGUST 12TH

Creeping CP and there has been a development. This was posted by a poster named BoomBoom

160e792.png

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CalgaryNext?fref=ts
Twitter account: https://twitter.com/CalgaryNext

Last edited by a moderator:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's true. II thinks he's above gifs and tomfoolery.

EDIT: I care not for a new arena unless it also has a roof the shape of a Pringle.

Aug 3, 2010
It's true. II thinks he's above gifs and tomfoolery.

EDIT: I care not for a new arena unless it also has a roof the shape of a Pringle.

It would be great if the Flames would invest in another architecturally interesting building as the Saddledome is. Maybe something to do with the Flame moniker or more cowboy/Western designs.

Surprised the new Edmonton arena's not in the shape of a tire fire.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It would be great if the Flames would invest in another architecturally interesting building as the Saddledome is. Maybe something to do with the Flame moniker or more cowboy/Western designs.

Surprised the new Edmonton arena's not in the shape of a tire fire.
it does look like a toilet though

:yo:

ReNeGaDe87

Comfortably Numb
Jun 10, 2012
Burkeville AB
I for one am excited to see and hear what they have planned, our owners are some of the richest in the league and they have the money to throw down on an epic new dome to attract the shows and concerts calgary deserves.

maybe we see a quadruple sports threat arena in the west village

hockey
lacross
football
soccer???

go big or go home right?

I hope we knock the socks off the new rogers arena in edmonton

GFG

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I really like the Staples Center setup. It's in the middle of a space that's surrounded by restaurants and bars and bowling alleys and shopping. You can make a full day of being down there and cap it off with a game.

As close as the Saddledome is, it's in the middle of nowhere.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I seem to recall some mention of Nationwide Arena in Columbus being one the Flames liked. My memory could be off though.

47757744.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I really like the Staples Center setup. It's in the middle of a space that's surrounded by restaurants and bars and bowling alleys and shopping. You can make a full day of being down there and cap it off with a game.

As close as the Saddledome is, it's in the middle of nowhere.

Apparently Nashville's arena location is similarly placed.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Dear Gaud, I cannot imagine what the traffic would be like especially if it's in the middle of downtown.

Aug 3, 2010
Dear Gaud, I cannot imagine what the traffic would be like especially if it's in the middle of downtown.

The Saddledome is basically already in the middle of downtown. I can't imagine that the new arena would be any closer to downtown than the Saddledome already is.

Also, I'm 95% sure that it would be placed near LRT. I feel like the arena will be place somewhere near Kerby Station (nearby the old Telus Science Centre, or near the Greyhound bus station/by Sunalta LRT station) or somewhere in the East Village area where the new Central Public Library is slated to be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad