Flames 'New' Arena II - 'No it's yours, I insist'

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames need to bring fresh faces to the negotiations like the city is doing. Ken King has worn out his welcome on the arena front. Didn't he say an arena was on the way back in 2007 or something?
The vision clearly changed with the purchase of the Stamps. Then likely changed again with the Oilers arena deal.

Also, I find it hilarious that people feel that can call for a guys head as if they know what is actually happening. Guess, what? You don't. The owners, the guys that pay King, do know though. If he was doing that terrible of a job, he would be gone.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
At this point the Flames won't make any meaningful concessions until the city sorts out our Olympic aspirations; there is just way too much potential "free" money to go towards an arena if the Olympics happen to not wait and find out.

So at least another year of hardball ahead, less if we kill the Olympic bid.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The vision clearly changed with the purchase of the Stamps. Then likely changed again with the Oilers arena deal.

Also, I find it hilarious that people feel that can call for a guys head as if they know what is actually happening. Guess, what? You don't. The owners, the guys that pay King, do know though. If he was doing that terrible of a job, he would be gone.

I'm not so sure that's actually true. For the Flames to fire King at this moment would probably weaken their position somewhat. They'd essentially be admitting they messed up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not so sure that's actually true. For the Flames to fire King at this moment would probably weaken their position somewhat. They'd essentially be admitting they messed up.
Or perhaps, *gasp* he's doing what he's been told to.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We want the public to fund this.
But we also don't want the public to know what's going on.

This is rich man logic if I've ever seen it. "Don't worry baby, daddy gon take care of you."

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

This is rich man logic if I've ever seen it. "Don't worry baby, daddy gon take care of you."
With how much they've been posturing in the media, I think it's good to keep the negotiations private.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

It's the right thing to do. The city is being represented by their elected representatives.

It is slightly humourous/disingenuous given how the team was the one who blew things up publicly before the election last year, but at this point it's in everyone's best interests to let bygones be bygones and try to proceed more professionally this time.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'm concerned at the idea of not learning details of an agreement until it's already been made for us

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Ridiculous. While I'm far from happy with how either side have handled the affair, this is exactly the situation needs. Sitting down, talking about it, and not fishing for soundbytes to make yourself good in the media.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
No new arena in $5.23-billion plan to host the 2026 Olympics

Interesting.

I wonder if this may get the Flames off the negotiating sideline if they don't want the Olympic$ train to pass them by for contributing a new arena.
No funding for an arena, but funding for a fieldhouse...

CalgaryNEXT, come on down!

No, but they'll have a new arena deal right where it was being considered prior to the wheels falling off. Having the new arena and the Saddledome makes sense; then blow up the Dome in March 2026.

Reactions: Walk with Elias

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
No new arena, renovations to decrepit McMahon and no new stadium, no LRT from Downtown to airport.

Still $5 billion.

Olympics = show off your city in a positive light, not show off how cheap and dumb you are.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I want the IOC far, far away from Calgary. I'd rather have three CalgaryNexts

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Was not a fan of supporting the Flames getting a new arena under their last published Flames terms.
However, I would be more amenable to accepting those terms if a new arena was to be built to host the Olympic games.
The Olympics without a new NHL arena are a no go for me.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
To be fair, Nenshi apparently said that the preference is to have a new arena built and the plan would be adjusted.

Lots of rumors that the Flames are preparing to sell to Houston's potential owner. For what its worth, In late July I spoke to someone who works directly for the Flames who said it looked like something was going to get done by the end of the year but he was totally getting prepared to have to move to Houston before this round of talks.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be fair, Nenshi apparently said that the preference is to have a new arena built and the plan would be adjusted.

Lots of rumors that the Flames are preparing to sell to Houston's potential owner. For what its worth, In late July I spoke to someone who works directly for the Flames who said it looked like something was going to get done by the end of the year but he was totally getting prepared to have to move to Houston before this round of talks.
if you are going to make statements like this, you better back them up

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad